Doubletaps .357 sig -125gr. ammo???

This is a discussion on Doubletaps .357 sig -125gr. ammo??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Doubletap-.357 sig-125 gr. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Shooters: I have a .357 sig barrel for my sig 229 and was thinking of buying a box or two of ...

Thread: Doubletaps .357 sig -125gr. ammo???

Doubletaps .357 sig -125gr. ammo???

Doubletap-.357 sig-125 gr.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shooters:
    I have a .357 sig barrel for my sig 229 and was thinking of buying a box or two of
    Doubletaps .357 sig-125 gr. ammo! Here's what Doubletap says about this ammos
    ballistics-

.357 Sig 125gr. Bonded Defense™ JHP 20rds. $22.50

For those that love the .357 Sig, we have the perfect loading for you! The .357 Sig was developed to match the .357 Magnum in speed and power using a 125gr. bullet (1450fps). Recently there have been no options for the serious .357 Sig shooter to get this velocity. At Doubletap we have developed a loading that combines speed, power, and match grade accuracy! All of this and we use a flash suppressed powder for virtually no muzzle flash.

3.5" barrel - 1415fps
    4.5" barrel - 1525fps

Caliber : .357 Sig

Bullet : 125gr. Bonded Defense™ JHP

Ballistics : 1450fps / 584 ft. lbs. 4"bbl

Has anybody on this forum ran any ballistic tests on this ammo?
    I like the speed of this ammo which seems to come close to the speed of the .357 magum
    ammo!

Any thoughts on this ammos speed?
    Thank-you for your thoughts & time--time for me to grab a cuo of coffee!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    Doubletap-.357 sig-125 gr.

.357 Sig 125gr. Bonded Defense™ JHP 20rds. $22.50
    IMHO If I were spending on DT ammo I'd go with the 147 gr. 357 Sig. Again JMHO! In the lighter grain bullets I carry winchester ranger T-Series. But I do carry the DT 147 gr during the winter when I'm up north in the snow.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

dear Cat: IMO you're giving too much attention to minor matters - not that you don't have every right to do so - and it's FUN! Double Tap seems to be a reputable company, and i would trust their figures unless evidence to the contrary surfaces. but the human variables involved in a SD shooting vastly outweigh which (good) SD round you use.

i know you want any and every advantage possible, even if it's a small one, but for me, 'small' is the operative word here. stay alert and watch your surroundings. be prepared to respond quickly to a real threat. hit the BG center mass as many times as it takes to stop him. know how to handle the aftermath of a shooting. get good training.

"amateurs talk hardware (guns/ammo/accessories); professionals talk software (training/mental attitude/awareness)" i'm absolutely an amateur, but i try to learn from the pros.

"the best is the enemy of the good." and what's 'best' today, probably won't be in a year or two, and do you really want to change your carry gun and/or SD ammo every six months or a year? "a first class man with third rate equipment is far likelier to prevail in a gunfight than a third class man with first rate equipment." i could go on, but i'll stop here. cordially, sensei2

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I sold my chrono because it was the middle of winter and I wasn't using it.

No matter what numbers I came up with a particular load- others would dispute it.

I look at Double Tap and other higher velocity ammo on the market as More Power than I can
    get from standard ammo, no matter if it's 200 or 75 fps faster.

Everyone will have varied reports.

DT offers 147 gr. loads in both FMJ and the Winchester JHP.

They seem to shoot a lot softer than the 125s and are seemingly just as or even a bit more accurate.

One would think that a Magnumized 147 9mm bullet would be even better than a standard 147.

The only problem being that virtually NO law enforcement uses 147 gr. .357 SIG, so there is no track record
    for it, but there are a few CCW holders that like the 147 and carry it, esp. the Hornady XTP.

I'm a newcomer to the .357 SIG world, but find that I like it very much.

Let's hope to see the M&P Shield and other guns be offered in this interesting and ever growing caliber.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

I like the 147gr Hornady's as the heavier bullet usually has better penetration than the lighter, faster bullets.....but I have no doubt that the Corbons 125 gr will be more than adequate in a defensive situation. I carry either in my Glock .357SIGs.
    Double Tap ammo has a great reputation. I'd carry their 125 gr issue with confidence.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I'm a former DT user. After reading many reports of under performing ammo I sent 10 of my own 10mm rounds to a guy that spends way more time than he should testing all ammo manufacturers products, predominantly 10mm. He has also tried some 9mm offerings.

DT has consistently come up short in their claims, often times by 100fps or more. At $50 box, this is unacceptable to me. Other ammo companies are stepping up and selling what they claim.

Here is a spreadsheet done by a different person that loves testing and documenting ammo. Granted, this is 10mm only, but it gives you a sense of who is doing what WRT velocity claims. The numbers in this chart are actually lower than the other person's, and altitude, humidity, weapon used, etc can be attributed to this.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mhOMTVFa25xa1E

I've gone with Underwood ($30/50) for my SD loads (Gold dot tips) and Scottsdale ($21/50) for my TMJ target loads. Both of these companies are turning out a good product and are worth looking into.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I'm a former DT user. After reading many reports of under performing ammo I sent 10 of my own 10mm rounds to a guy that spends way more time than he should testing all ammo manufacturers products, predominantly 10mm. He has also tried some 9mm offerings.

DT has consistently come up short in their claims, often times by 100fps or more. At $50 box, this is unacceptable to me. Other ammo companies are stepping up and selling what they claim.

Here is a spreadsheet done by a different person that loves testing and documenting ammo. Granted, this is 10mm only, but it gives you a sense of who is doing what WRT velocity claims. The numbers in this chart are actually lower than the other person's, and altitude, humidity, weapon used, etc can be attributed to this.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mhOMTVFa25xa1E

I've gone with Underwood ($30/50) for my SD loads (Gold dot tips) and Scottsdale ($21/50) for my TMJ target loads. Both of these companies are turning out a good product and are worth looking into.
    I am also looking into Uderwood which uses Speer Gold Dot--This link isn't Uderwood but a Gello test of Gold Dot being fired into a gello block!
    Some people might say -Oh its only a gello block being shot into--but can you image this same energy dump inside your body!

357 Sig 125gn Speer Gold Dot - YouTube

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    small people talk about other people ( duh!!) as smarter people speak of things.
    intelligent people talk about ideas.

makes sense in a large group model.

and what's 'best' today, probably won't be in a year or two

and maybe it will still hold its own a hundred years from now
    or perhaps something comes along, like the Shield that truely ties up a lot of loose ends and rises to the top as a 'best in class'

some guns have been designed to shine in a specific area; colt 1911 5" 230gr RN ~850 fps

380 from a 3,5" bbl with a 95 LRN. 40 is cut from a 10 to have the V of a 45 in a 4" bbl and thus the same power
    --not here to decide what power is delivered best from which package, just tossing out some numbers.

and the 357 Sig was designed to replicate the V of a 357 Mag from a 4" bb' in a 3.5ish semi auto bbl.

why one over the other?
    why one like class car over another?

design (eye appeal or ability to accept after market do-dads deemed important to you), relialability
    size, personal fit--to your being able to control it and how it goes with your lifestyle; how you dress, where you go.
    cause you like that color.
    many purchases are sold to us ( clever advertisers). good is knowing you want a specific item and why.
    knowing why helps you to look at other items and descern how well they fit your needs.
    some times a clever salesman can 'help' you to change your 'why'

it is not wrong being open to new ideas, just don't forget your basic reason for wanting what got you in the store.
    price can sway you, sometimes ask yourself "in a year or 2" will i stiill be happy with my purchase, did it hold its value ( smith vs charter arms)?

Sig P239/40-357 has been in the top 5 or better for many years. understand that gun and why it is thought so highly... and it will open doors to understanding
    the 357Sig vs whatever discussions.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    small people talk about other people ( duh!!) as smarter people speak of things.
    intelligent people talk about ideas.

makes sense in a large group model.

and what's 'best' today, probably won't be in a year or two

and maybe it will still hold its own a hundred years from now
    or perhaps something comes along, like the Shield that truely ties up a lot of loose ends and rises to the top as a 'best in class'

some guns have been designed to shine in a specific area; colt 1911 5" 230gr RN ~850 fps

380 from a 3,5" bbl with a 95 LRN. 40 is cut from a 10 to have the V of a 45 in a 4" bbl and thus the same power
    --not here to decide what power is delivered best from which package, just tossing out some numbers.

and the 357 Sig was designed to replicate the V of a 357 Mag from a 4" bb' in a 3.5ish semi auto bbl.

why one over the other?
    why one like class car over another?

design (eye appeal or ability to accept after market do-dads deemed important to you), relialability
    size, personal fit--to your being able to control it and how it goes with your lifestyle; how you dress, where you go.
    cause you like that color.
    many purchases are sold to us ( clever advertisers). good is knowing you want a specific item and why.
    knowing why helps you to look at other items and descern how well they fit your needs.
    some times a clever salesman can 'help' you to change your 'why'

it is not wrong being open to new ideas, just don't forget your basic reason for wanting what got you in the store.
    price can sway you, sometimes ask yourself "in a year or 2" will i stiill be happy with my purchase, did it hold its value ( smith vs charter arms)?

Sig P239/40-357 has been in the top 5 or better for many years. understand that gun and why it is thought so highly... and it will open doors to understanding
    the 357Sig vs whatever discussions.
    I can testify that the Sig 239 in .357Sig caliber is both one sweet gun and a keeper for life!

Links