Help with .40 Defense Ammo - Page 2

Help with .40 Defense Ammo

This is a discussion on Help with .40 Defense Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Lotus222 This article states otherwise. Also, my inability to easily find the 180 grain loads might say otherwise, too. The US Government ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Help with .40 Defense Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    This article states otherwise. Also, my inability to easily find the 180 grain loads might say otherwise, too.

The US Government Has Ordered Over 750 Million Rounds of .40 Caliber Hollow Point Ammunition in the Last Three Years :

Edit: although the article doesn't say it, but the recent 450 million round contract by the DHC is 180 grain.
    Thanks. Looks like .40S&W may be hard to find in a few weights. At least those who have a .40S&W could get a .357Sig barrel and still have something to shoot.
    --Jason--

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Lol, no doubt. I'm going to stock up on the 180's as soon as I can find some for cheap. Last week, I had to spend $0.80 a round (with shipping) on some HST's... Hopefully, I should be getting some for a little cheaper, soon. Looks like prices are starting to go through the roof ...at least until it becomes more readily available (I hope).

As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

I have a 250c 40sw also and I've shot 500 rounds of the big three (Rem-Win-Fed) both FMJs and HPs with no issues at all. I bought all my ammo at Wally's so I haven't tried other brands. If you're at Wally's grab the Rem UMC 180 HPs, they shot well in my Sig. Also the Win PDX1 165 BJHPs did well too but they're pricey. My Sig is loaded with the PDX1s for SD anyway and they're hot.

I carry Federal HST .40cal 180gr. Good ballistics videos on you tube.

Using Tapatalk

Federal HST

I agree with Lotus222 and JeffD. I researched the matter fairly thoroughly and have gone strictly with the Federal HST for my auto-pistols. 9mm 147gr., .40 cal. 180gr. and .45acp 230gr., all standard velocity. I had some instructive email exchanges with an official from ATK (parent company of Federal, Speer, etc.) and he said that with today's bullet technology, the only reason they even make +P ammo is that they have a market for it-- there's no real necessity for +P. Now if only they'd make HST for my .38 and .357 revolvers......!!! I bought my .40 from SG Ammo and the 9mm and .45 from Streichers, if that helps. (^_^)

I almost forgot------- one plus with the Federal HST is that it comes in 50 round boxes as opposed to 20 or 25 like most of the other SD ammo; Ranger T is also in 50 rd. boxes, another really good load (by the way-- Streichers will only sell the Ranger T to official LE departments-- I tried!).

Ammo to Go will sell all the Ranger T's you want. I have a great supply of them in 9MM, 40 and 45.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

I carry Gold Dot, but from what I can see, the Fed HST is pretty similar. ATK owns both the Speer and Federal brands, and both of them are known for quality and reliability. The HST is newer, but the premise seems to be the same.

I stick to 165gr in my carry stuff, the energy and velocity are both higher. The 180gr is the 'first' round developed for the .40, but the powder charge and bullet weight were really designed for the 10mm "FBI Light" load. From what I've read, the 165gr generally performs better. OTOH, I doubt you could go wrong with any .40 load, they're all pretty spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
    I agree with Lotus222 and JeffD. I researched the matter fairly thoroughly and have gone strictly with the Federal HST for my auto-pistols. 9mm 147gr., .40 cal. 180gr. and .45acp 230gr., all standard velocity. I had some instructive email exchanges with an official from ATK (parent company of Federal, Speer, etc.) and he said that with today's bullet technology, the only reason they even make +P ammo is that they have a market for it-- there's no real necessity for +P. Now if only they'd make HST for my .38 and .357 revolvers......!!! I bought my .40 from SG Ammo and the 9mm and .45 from Streichers, if that helps. (^_^)
    AFAIK, there is no +P standard for .40S&W at this time, and anyone advertising ".40 +P" is selling overpressure rounds that are not safe to fire in factory firearms...
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Gold Dots. Far easier to find than HST, just as good, and very reliable.

My wife's ex husband paid his child support last month with a S&W 4003 and a mess of magazines of 165gr Gold Saber. I don't feel under-protected with those. When I carried a little Kahr MK40 I preferred a light, fast 135gr JHP. Even then that thing kicked a lot. I personally am satisfied with the performance of those 135s, devastating and worth it to me to sacrifice some penetration. As for cycle reliability, the rounded Gold Saber with it's hard jacket is known for reliable feeding, and the 135s have plenty of momentum to cycle those springs. No matter what brand, I'd spend the money and shoot a bunch.

Also: WTB S&W 4003/06 magazines. anybody?
    Last edited by Superhouse 15; June 4th, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I have spent a lot of time researching self defense ammo over the last few years. There are a lot of very good carry rounds on the market today (Gold Dot, Ranger-T, etc...), but I choose to carry Federal HST in all of my guns. 147+P for 9mm and 180gr for .40 S&W.

These bullets hold together like a bonded bullet through any barrier and have better expansion in both size and reliability.

KylesGunShop and SGammo have been my sources. HSTs aren't too easy to come by.

I use Corbons 135gr. which equals the .357 Magum!

I have come to the conclusion that all of my Defensive carry ammo is going to be "Speer Gold Dot" or "Federal HST" period.
    Fisher10 likes this.

I few years back when I firs got my M&P 40C I did a lot of research on what to carry. I settled on Speer LE Gold Dot 155gr. HP Ammo. You can go crazy trying to decide.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links