Help with .40 Defense Ammo - Page 3

Help with .40 Defense Ammo

This is a discussion on Help with .40 Defense Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The South Bend, Indiana police issue the 135-grain Cor-Bon .40 at 1,300 fps. Ballistics are roughly comparable to the typical .357 Sig police load, a ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Help with .40 Defense Ammo

The South Bend, Indiana police issue the 135-grain Cor-Bon .40 at 1,300 fps. Ballistics are roughly comparable to the typical .357 Sig police load, a 125-grain bullet at 1,350 fps. At the other end of the scale, you can stoke your .40 to a .38 Special hot-load level. The 165-grain subsonic at 1,000 is little different from the Cor-Bon .38 P load spitting a 158-grain lead hollowpoint at the same velocity

Has anyone tried or have any input on these rounds,Lehigh Defense Controlled Fracturing Ammunition I recently purchased a box of .40s&w but have not ran any though my gun as of yet. Sugessted by a friend who is doing field testing for the company, which is close by to where I live.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; September 16th, 2012 at 11:16 PM.

Those leigh brand ammo looks nice and reminds me of the grizzly brand all copper bullets i might get a box and test them into some ballistic gel and see how they perform... kinda pricy though LOL

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'm currently carrying a Glock 27 and am expecting to my PT740 to come in Tuesday morning, so weather permitting I want to get out and get to know the740 and fire a few of them. But would be interested in your results with the gel. Just noticed I posted the wrong link above, I have the Maximum Expansion rounds.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; September 16th, 2012 at 11:15 PM.

Yea I ordered a box of their. 45acp (ME) and will test it out in my Glock 30SF was just to much to get another box for my Glock 23 ... ALMOST 100$$$$ LOL.

Last edited by lyodbraun; September 16th, 2012 at 09:46 PM.
    fdnw1745 likes this.

Federal HST or Hydra Shocks....or Hornady XTP

I'm as guilty as anyone--and more so than most--of dallying with different ammo, even though I realize that the quest for the magic bullet is a futile one.

From a purely utilitarian standpoint, however, it makes plenty of sense to stick with the Wal-Mart JHP's you've already tested quite a bit (successfully, I presume). They're available, affordable, reliable (again, I assume so), and a known quantity to you. What's not to like? Shooting them reliably, rapidly, accurately and instinctively is more important than any advantage of bullet design.

If time & money are no object, however, shoot 250 rounds of each of the high-performance ammo types mentioned above, and adopt whichever you prefer :-)

I have a box of WWB 180 HPs. Since it says Personal Protection it must be good.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO87 View Post
    Federal HST or Hydra Shocks....or Hornady XTP
    Good list. I would add Gold Dots to it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fdnw1745 View Post
    I'm currently carrying a Glock 27 and am expecting to my PT740 to come in Tuesday morning, so weather permitting I want to get out and get to know the740 and fire a few of them. But would be interested in your results with the gel. Just noticed I posted the wrong link above, I have the Maximum Expansion rounds.
    Well I got my Lehigh Defense 174gr Maxium Expansion rounds in .45ACP, mixed up some gel and put two of them into it one bare gel, and the other with two pieces of t-shirt material that was doubled up, both rounds failed to expand... was very dissapointed in them, I re melted my gel and its in the firidge setting up so maybe later this afternoon I will be able to try two more rounds and see if I can get better results... so as of now I dont think Id use them for a carry round, esp since on their site it says they only penetrate around 10 inches, ... so another test will be in order and hopefully this time better results??

I run 180 gr pdx1's through my XD. 40. Never had one ftf or issue after 500 rds. Expensive break in to say the least. There are also the same bullet, but a different coating on the case that I found in a white box at a gun show for much cheaper. All I have seen was that the casing was different. They felt the same to me. Ill see if I can find some pics
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

This stuff.
    Attached Images
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Here are another round I tested that did expand.. it's from Asym percision 185gr +p

Here is the Lehigh maximum expansion rounds next to a. 40s&w HST, and a. 45 barnes solid copper bullet, these rounds performed good enough to rip my gel apart, LOL so only was able to get two tested and they went less than 12" in... id guess around 8 to 9 ... so will be testing another batch of these along. With. 40 .380 and 9mm all in the Lehigh brand...

Whoops forgot to post pics ....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links