Help with .40 Defense Ammo

This is a discussion on Help with .40 Defense Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Sig Sauer P250C .40 for a carry weapon. I would like some suggestions about some defense ammo. I have only shot 200 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Help with .40 Defense Ammo

Help with .40 Defense Ammo

I have a Sig Sauer P250C .40 for a carry weapon. I would like some suggestions about some defense ammo. I have only shot 200 rounds of FMJ through it. The gun is dead nuts accurate. I have Federal hollow points from Wally World in my Glock, Kahr and Diamond Back but never shot those guns with that ammo either. When my or families life is on the line I would like zero cycle problems.

2. Remove Ads

I'm using the Remington 180gr HPs in my 40cal Glocks. Never had any problems with them in compact or sub-compact. I personally think the 40S&W is an inherently more accurate round compared to other calibers....at least that's my experience. Not a wide range of loads to select from in the 40cal since the overall cartridge is near the peak for it's performance level. 165-180gr is mainly what you'll find unless it's something exotic. I tend to have my favorites for my 9mm and 45ACP pistol loads, but the 40cals pretty much run very well with whatever I have tried. I did pick up a box of Winchester PDX1 for 40S&W last year. Have not tried them yet, but it's a small box 20 or 25 rounds I believe. I just bought it because they had it.
    As far as cycle problems.....we never know. Things go south when you least expect them to do so, and problems don't always show up at the range during practice. Keep those malfunction and clearing exercises in mind.
    You can trust a machine (or any mechanical thing) just as much as you can trust a human not to let you down in the heat of the moment. Stands to reason.....man made machines and mechanical things.

I just did a lot of research, and ordered some new SD rounds. Personally, I like to shoot 180 grain, because I can tell a difference in recoil. To others, (and probably other guns) they can't tell as much of a difference. That said, you can't go wrong with the 155's or 165's if you like those loads.

As for the ammo, I have decided on Federal HST's, Ranger T's, or Speer Gold Dot's. After researching these rounds, I feel that they have the safest and best levels of penetration for self defense, best energy transfer, and largest / most reliable expansion. They have adopted the newest advancement in ballistic technology.

Edit:

.40 S&W Winchester Ranger T-Series 165 gr Ammo test - YouTube

.40 Speer Gold Dot 165 gr JHP Gel Ammo test - YouTube

I'll second the Rangers and the Speer Gold Dots. I use Gold Dot 147gr in my 9mm pistols and Ranger 165gr bonded or Gold Dot 165gr in my 40 cal pistols.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

You can't go wrong with Speer Gold Dot JHP in any caliber. I think this YouTube channel does a great job evaluating different defensive ammo:
    tnoutdoors9 - YouTube
    mano3 likes this.

any modern jhp. just make sure you run several magazines of whatever you buy through the gun before you carry it. sometimes they can be a little ammo picky.
    sensei2 likes this.

Thumbs up man stoppers

currently using winchester pdx1 180g. these things cycle no problem. same ammo FBI is currently using.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

VIP Member
    I hard cast 175's, also use 180 XTP's, but carry 140 DPX.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I use remington 180 grain flat nose FMJ for range. Carry CC=Hornady ftx Critical Defense. Zero problems with either .(Ruger SR40C)
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

mkh
    So, you load your weapons with JHP but have never shot any of those rounds through the gun?

Not a good idea. While most major guns will handle just about anything it's a good idea to run at least a few mags ( some people like to run a 100 or 200 rounds ) of your chosen JHPs to make sure they feed properly.

Getting into a self defense shooting and finding out your gun doesn't feed your hollow points without jamming is a good way to nd up dead...
    Superhouse 15 likes this.

When this comes up I post this link that my buddy "jonconsligno" told me about: Best choices available for self-defense ammunition.

Here is the .40 S&W list:
    Barnes all-copper bullets (140 & 155gr) loaded by: Cor-Bon (DPX40140)
    Winchester Ranger 180gr JHP (RA40T)
    Winchester Ranger 165gr JHP (RA40TA)
    Winchester Partition Gold 165gr JHP (RA401P)
    Winchester Bonded 180gr JHP (Q4355)
    Speer Gold Dot 155gr JHP (53961)
    Speer Gold Dot 180gr JHP (53962)
    Federal Tactical 165gr JHP (LE40T3)
    Federal Tactical 180gr JHP (LE40T1)
    Federal HST 180gr JHP (P40HST1)
    Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)

Of course, read the article and decide what works best for you.
    I was posting with a gentleman the other day and he believes the 180gr round will slowly disappear because the FBI adopted the 165gr round. Time will tell.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I was posting with a gentleman the other day and he believes the 180gr round will slowly disappear because the FBI adopted the 165gr round. Time will tell.
    This article states otherwise. Also, my inability to easily find the 180 grain loads might say otherwise, too.

The US Government Has Ordered Over 750 Million Rounds of .40 Caliber Hollow Point Ammunition in the Last Three Years :

Edit: although the article doesn't say it, but the recent 450 million round contract by the DHC is 180 grain.

Right you are MKH! I didn't 'splain myself well enough. I put at least one mag of my CC rounds through the pistol each range trip. I'm a firm believer in "shoot what you carry". I just range shoot the cheaper rounds" more" at the range. Sorry I wasn't clearer in my thoughts.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Whoops.
    Last edited by Blades; May 28th, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
    --Jason--

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by framedcraig1 View Post
    Right you are MKH! I didn't 'splain myself well enough. I put at least one mag of my CC rounds through the pistol each range trip. I'm a firm believer in "shoot what you carry". I just range shoot the cheaper rounds" more" at the range. Sorry I wasn't clearer in my thoughts.
    That's good to hear. But I was actually referring to the OP's post. I should have quoted it so sorry for the confusion.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links