Stopping Power of Corbon's 125gr.-.357sig ammo???

This is a discussion on Stopping Power of Corbon's 125gr.-.357sig ammo??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shooters: I know that many shooters like the Speer Gold Dot 125gr. .357sig ammo which travels at 1350 fps but I am interested in Corbon ...

Shooters:

I know that many shooters like the Speer Gold Dot 125gr. .357sig ammo which travels at 1350 fps but I am interested
    in Corbon 125gr. 357sig ammo-heres the ballistics from this ammo-

At CORBON, we believe that velocity is king! Higher energies enhance bullet performance and increase stopping power.
    Caliber: 357 Sig
    Bullet Wt.: 125gr CORBON Self-Defense JHP
    Velocity: 1425fps
    Energy: 564ftlbs
    test Barrel Length: 4.0 Inches

Does anyone on this forum have any knowledge on this ammo's performance in the streets?
    Thank-you for your time! :wavey

If by "performance in the streets" do you man have I shot anyone with this, I'm happy to report the answer is no. But I can say that the performance is spectacular on everything I've ever shot with this round, from accuracy to the terminal ballistics on solid objects. I wouldn't hesitate to carry this round - it would probably be my first choice. CorBon is top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by medicineball View Post
    If by "performance in the streets" do you man have I shot anyone with this, I'm happy to report the answer is no. But I can say that the performance is spectacular on everything I've ever shot with this round, from accuracy to the terminal ballistics on solid objects. I wouldn't hesitate to carry this round - it would probably be my first choice. CorBon is top notch.
    First I don't know you & second this question is asked in a general matter implying its street record in general! Thank-you for your post!

"357 SIG

In the early ’90s, spurred by Texas troopers and rangers who loved the SIG 45 pistol but missed that “lightning bolt” stopping power effect of their old 357 Magnum revolvers, SIG worked with Federal Cartridge to create the 357 SIG round. It resembles a 40 S&W necked down to 9mm, though the actual construction is somewhat more complicated than that. Different companies load to different velocities, and depending on pistol and barrel, factory 125-grain JHPs are delivering 1325 to over 1400 fps. High-tech bullets that open rapidly but stay together seem to work best in this caliber. The most widely proven is the Gold Dot. From Texas to Virginia, it has been kicking butt with no horror stories of stopping failures. New Mexico State Troopers fell in love with the 357 SIG a few years ago, and stayed with that cartridge when they ordered their new S&W M&P auto pistols. North Carolina Highway Patrol gave up its beloved Beretta pistols after more than twenty years to adopt the SIG-Sauer, because they could get it chambered for 357 SIG.

Gunfights indicate that this cartridge is particularly good for shooting through auto sheet metal and window glass, yet does not deliver on the street the dangerous over-penetration that some gelatin tests had indicated might happen. The spent, expanded bullets are normally recovered from the far side of the criminal’s body, or from his clothing, or from the ground within a few feet behind where he was located when shot. Winchester Ranger in 125-grain 357 SIG has worked well in actual shootings. Remington Bonded Golden Saber in 125-grain 357 SIG is deliciously accurate, and performs superbly in FBI protocol gelatin testing, though I haven’t run across any actual shootings with it yet. The overwhelming majority of 357 SIG shootings by police have occurred with the 125-grain Speer Gold Dot, and it has worked so well it is unquestionably the most “street proven” load in this caliber."

Ayoob, Massad. Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry. Gun Digest Books.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Both Cor-Bon and Double Tap offer a 125 gr. SIERRA JHP @1,450 fps or so.

This is a different bullet than the GOLD DOT used in the other DT 125 gr. load termed
    Bonded Defense.

The SIERRA bullet is a traditional JHP that Not bonded and is therefore a fragmenting round
    to some degree like the original 125 grain .357 Magnum load, but not to to extreme of
    Glaser .357 SIG rounds.

There has been at least one dynamic stopping incident where the 125 gr Cor-Bon did it's job very well..
    after passing through a glass partition and impacting a suspect's stomach.

The felon then took a few steps and expired near the doorway..or that's the story.

I've shot a few boxes of the CB 125 and find it to be one hot number!

If I personally couldn't find any Double Tap .357 SIG ammo, I'd buy the CB 125 or widely proven Gold Dot, and keep smiling.

In reality, you really try to pick a a proven load and take your chances with it stopping someone
    in your time of need.

Nice to know we have so many choices these days, and the hot 9mm and .357 SIG ( from most companies) seem to be up to the task.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    Shooters:

I am interested in Corbon 125gr. 357sig ammo-heres the ballistics from this ammo-

Does anyone on this forum have any knowledge on this ammo's performance in the streets?
    Thank-you for your time! :wavey
    Cat all the LEs I know use Winchester T-Series or the Gold Dot. However at the Shot Show Corbon was giving special pricing to LE who ordered their rounds, you may wish to contract Corbon and ask if they have any feed back from the guys they sold to? Unlike DoubleTap, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I beleive CorBon uses their own bullets? (Their website seems to be down) Double Tap uses Speer or Winchester bullets.

As for the gold dots and t-series we know they perform when called upon!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

you should check out the three books by evan marshall and ed sanow: 'handgun stopping power', 'streetstoppers', and 'stopping power'. (from oldest to most recent) my copies are in another state or i would look things up for you. marshall and sanow talk about actual shootings with various rounds, as well as a predictive computer program an associate developed from the actual street results. i believe that the second book, 'streetstoppers', has the most detailed comparison of the .357SIG round. they're not cheap books - usually around $30 each in my experience.

Links