.45 ACP vs wild boar

This is a discussion on .45 ACP vs wild boar within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by WHEC724 There's a shoulder swimming in bbq sauce in the crock pot as I type this. tastes like chicken...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: .45 ACP vs wild boar

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    There's a shoulder swimming in bbq sauce in the crock pot as I type this.
    tastes like chicken

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Does anybody else have a craving for pork-chops now?
    Yep-- just had BBQ for lunch.
    --Jason--

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    One of mankinds greatest inventions...combining pigs and fire.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Gotta tell ya, even as an avid hunter and gun guy, that video is a bloody mess and hard to watch. So, the .45acp isn't the best for a meth'd up hog, got it. Of course, against Deer, here is what a cheap WWB hollow point did, interesting. I figure humans are about in the middle of deer and hogs.

Pistol Kill-Fall 2010 - YouTube
    JDKinman and QKShooter like this.

I've taken deer with handguns but never the .45 ACP. I don't see why it wouldn't be a good choice for the whitetail deer around here. My brother-in-law has taken 4 deer and an auodad with a .45 ACP and reported good success when employing the cartridge.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

RKM
    One thing many people don't realize is, wild animals, despite their size, are wild animals. They have the will to fight, much more than many humans. Dedicated humans can fight through just as many .45 rounds. Reasons you don't see it as much is because a human is usually smart enough to quit the attack and give up....

Not only do wild animals have a greater will to fight, I believe they are much more durable (physically), and less vulnerable to pain. A shot to the heart or lungs isn't going to instantly drop something, no matter what caliber. It will eventually stop them. The only guaranteed less than 1 second stop is CNS.

The video is rather disturbing. I hate seeing anything struggle for it's life. I don't know the story behind the video. Hunting with a measly .45 ACP is just stupid. Defending oneself with a .45 ACP is just fine. There is a difference. If I was in a field doing whatever it is I was doing and was approached by a bore, would I use my .45 to defend myself? Of course I would. The outcome maybe be the same as this video... but you're doing what you NEED to do to save yourself. If you go out with a .45 ACP with the sole purpose of hunting a bore, well, I just don't agree with that.

Now that I read in the video description that the bore was shot at 200 yards with a rifle, it just goes to show you what I meant about wild animals will to fight. Why didn't they just take a second shot with the rifle? I don't know. I'm not a hunter. I shot a squirrel once. I was at the range and they were running around on the dirt mound behind the targets. I actually felt bad.... even though I hate squirrels haha.

What really gets me about boar hunting is how little effect 'hydrostatic shock' has. When you watch it through gelatin, it looks devastating, but you cannot see any real effect of it when boar are hit. They run, immediately. If it's not a proper hit, that is.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

RKM, I agree with your post 100%. I was fairly P.O when they showed the hog still flopping around. I'm an avid hunter and a video like that should not have been released for the public to see. Many hunter's wonder why there is a bunch anti- hunter's that would love to see an end to hunting. It's like what you said, we wasn't there and don't know the whole story. My brother and I bowhunt public land, atv's are not allowed unless you have a disability permit and then your only allowed on certain trailway's. We will walk up to 2 mile's one way to get away from everyone. There is big wild hog's and I carry a 1911 .45acp with hardcast bullet's incase one charge's us, it's not my first choice. I haven't figured out a good way yet to carry in my 7.5 inch Super Redhawk 44 mag as my CCW along with 40 pound's of gear.
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    boars have protective cartilage? never knew that.. interesting
    They don't, anyway none that I have cut into did.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    What really gets me about boar hunting is how little effect 'hydrostatic shock' has. When you watch it through gelatin, it looks devastating, but you cannot see any real effect of it when boar are hit. They run, immediately. If it's not a proper hit, that is.
    That is because boar and most all wild animal's muscles are much stronger, more dense than gelatin. The gelatin is a closer match to internal organs. So again it comes down to shot placement.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    They don't, anyway none that I have cut into did.
    all the medium to large ones (170lbs or bigger) I've butchered definitely had one. when I want a decent pig to roast I usually get a 70-90lbs one and they don't seem have anything noticeable yet. I don't know what it's made out of and it's certainly not bullet proof or even arrow proof in my experience but they can be thick and hard enough to affect your shot. you should be able to find a video or photo of one online pretty easy.

What I don't understand is why there was no follow up shot with his rifle, The description says that he shot the boar with his "hp" rifle ( whatever that may be). A second round of 458 socom or 300WM would most likey have dropped the sucker.
    This vid is a good argument for getting a semi auto for boar hunting, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchman View Post
    What I don't understand is why there was no follow up shot with his rifle...
    because the hunter is a jerk.
    smolck and CanuckQue like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Runt View Post
    I haven't figured out a good way yet to carry in my 7.5 inch Super Redhawk 44 mag as my CCW along with 40 pound's of gear.
    Dunno if it'll work for you, but I carry the same gun in a hunting sling, right up on my chest. Doesn't get in the way of a rifle if you are using it as a backup. I pistol hunt with it, and this setup lets me climb just about anything I encounter, and is a pretty fast draw when needed. It's not CCW unless I'm wearing a jacket or something, but when out in the back country, most people don't worry so much about staying concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchman View Post
    This vid is a good argument for getting a semi auto for boar hunting, I think.
    And unfortunately, inhumane jack holes like this and this video are great ammo for the anti-hunting crowd and PETA.

Every hunter worth his salt should ensure quick, humane kills. If you can't do that, don't hunt.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links