.45 ACP vs wild boar

This is a discussion on .45 ACP vs wild boar within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by smolck And unfortunately, inhumane jack holes like this and this video are great ammo for the anti-hunting crowd and PETA. Every hunter ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: .45 ACP vs wild boar

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    And unfortunately, inhumane jack holes like this and this video are great ammo for the anti-hunting crowd and PETA.

Every hunter worth his salt should ensure quick, humane kills. If you can't do that, don't hunt.
    It doesn't always work that way. Perhaps you've got a Heart Attack Gun and your skills are so high that the animals surrender and walk over to your truck for easy loading before the kill but the rest of us have to live in the real world
    Stubborn likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    It doesn't always work that way. Perhaps you've got a Heart Attack Gun and your skills are so high that the animals surrender and walk over to your truck for easy loading before the kill but the rest of us have to live in the real world
    I think what's important is the intent. Do your best to ensure a quick kill. If you fail at that on your first shot for whatever reason, do your best again for the same goal.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    And unfortunately, inhumane jack holes like this and this video are great ammo for the anti-hunting crowd and PETA.

Every hunter worth his salt should ensure quick, humane kills. If you can't do that, don't hunt.
    Death is a nasty business...whether it's a human or an animal.
    It doesn't always fit in the nice, clean, bloodless, no suffering box most people like to keep it in, in their minds.
    Even the most humane, ethical hunters can find themselves staring an ugly situation in the face.
    It's easy to point a finger when you hire all of your meat killed by the supermarket.
    No true "hunter" wants to see an animal suffer, most have far too much respect for the animals they hunt... but it happens, if you hunt long enough, it WILL happen to you, all you can do is end it as quickly as possible.

bmcgilvray, WHEC724 and OD* like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    Hunted all my life, never dealt with anything like this. I hunt with something that is strong enough to do the job for the animal I am hunting. I've seen hogs not go down from .44 mags and even one that took about 4 shots with a .500 mag. That is why I use big rifles for hogs.

And being a bloody mess isn't the issue, but don't post something like the OP's video on youtube. Use a brain, some stuff is better left unseen. I see no reason for the personal attack on me just because you disagree. For me, hunting has always been humane, quick, and clean. Sorry if your efforts haven't yielded the same results.

Many 200lb hogs have been taken with Five-seveN's and PS90's. Both weapons fire the 5.7x28mm cartridge. The 5.7 easily penetrates body armor so a hog's brain case or rib cage is no challenge. After the 5.7 bullet pierces the hog's "armor" it commences tumbling (or fragmenting if you are using the VMAX) liquefying the organs. As always, shot placement is everything and you aren't going to bring a hog down with a poor shot unless you have the largest of handguns or a big rifle.

I'd not be interested in hog hunting with a 5.7X28. I've only shot three hogs as compared to gobs of deer but the full-grown hog is apparently a different animal to put effectively put down, with a tenacious nervous system that may not rapidly "short-circuit." Even deer can display disturbing tenacity on the odd occasion after being well-hit with powerful rifles. Hogs are apparently worse. No one wants an animal to suffer but some of the struggling and twitching occurs after all consciousness has left, as life is flickering out.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I'd not be interested in hog hunting with a 5.7X28. I've only shot three hogs as compared to gobs of deer but the full-grown hog is apparently a different animal to put effectively put down, with a tenacious nervous system that may not rapidly "short-circuit." Even deer can display disturbing tenacity on the odd occasion after being well-hit with powerful rifles. Hogs are apparently worse. No one wants an animal to suffer but some of the struggling and twitching occurs after all consciousness has left, as life is flickering out.
    Here's a video of someone taking a hog with a PS90:

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    not my video

Saw this another forum. There is a debate going on about it being humane/inhumane.

If we can (hopefully) get over that and talk ballistics, it would make an interesting thread. but I doubt it will, so I guess I'll let it take it's own course.

LiveLeak.com - Wild Boar Charges Hunter **Warning: graphic**

all those .45s into the boar and he is still charging. takes one to the head, and DRT...

I think a 9mm would have done the same thing. piss off the boar until you put one in the head, then it would have dropped. Good thing he had enough rounds in that mag. It would have SUCKED if he ran out of ammo in that mag.. with a 9mm, he would have had almost 3 times what he had in that mag. and possibly had more rounds to put in his head after body shots didn't work.

(really curious how this thread will play out)

Don't shoot the messenger OK? I'm just posting a video that I thought was interesting and related to ballistics
    Point of interest on the 9mm. I have dispatched a number of domestic hogs for butchering with a 9mm to the head with me standing over the hog. On the last one we found that it was the concussion that killed the hog. When butchering it we discovered that the hardball ammo had hit the skull and then bounced off traveling under the skin to the rear of the hog where we found it just under the skin.
    I was standing over the hog looking it in they eyes when I shot it. This was with standard hardball ammo.

Michael

I disagree that this shouldn't have been posted. I prefer that we have access to information of people's wrongdoing.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    because the hunter is a jerk.
    Thoroughly agree. What you see in this video goes way beyond caliber, bullet selection and shot placement. This video is about ignorance and immaturity. Trying to aim a pistol with one hand, while aiming a camera with the other, on a moving, target, are not the actions of a responsible hunter. If this pistol was really the only thing he had left to dispatch the animal, which I doubt, then this idiot should have put the damn camera down and taken a proper 2-handed grip on his weapon, to achieve a quick(er) and clean(er) kill. This is Hunting Etiquette 101. Point of fact, instances like this cast a dark stain on the hunting community.
    smolck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Runt View Post
    A wild boar has a protective piece of cartilage over it's vital's and a .45 will not penatrate it. At the angle the hog was charging, the only two killing shot's would have been a spine or head shot to stop it. It's suggested to carry nothing no smaller than .357 mag when going into hog country. A good hard cast bullet loaded hot would be my first choice.

I am not a hunter and didn't realize boars were that tough!!!!

I could be wrong, but it looks like to me like it is a property owner on his land, possibly just out his back door. Or perhaps he decides to video the land, and he sees a pig, pig sees him, pig decides to run the said land owner off. Having the camera on he draws the 45 (may not be his choice of pig hunting gun) may have FMJs in it. At any rate he has pig charging him and he shoots it several times. Trying to dispatch it in a timely fashion.

Note that the pig is moving while being fired upon, when it rolls over one can easily see that at least two shots have landed in a poor location, one rear broken leg, the other rear leg is hit, the chest is hit in front of the left front leg, looks like it could be a lung shot, possible hart.

After it is down he shoots a few more into it, seems like the right thing to do, but the pig doesn’t know it is dead. I have shot deer in the neck as a finish shot and in the head, blown the vertebra in two and had the animal kick for several minutes. If the animal is in a defense/attack flight mode it may take a few minutes to stop all movement.

I find it a bit curious that we seem to jump all over some of our own, perhaps in an attempt to distance are selves from whatever act it is that caused the knee jerk reaction. Almost like the news does in a shooting, or what have you, only later to find they had it all wrong.

Dying and killing is serious business, some can’t handle it. That is why they have hit men, and grocery stores.
    Stubborn likes this.

kind of hard to hold a camera and a gun at the same time. The people who complained about the suffering pig obviously have never killed anything before. Just because its still kicking doesnt mean it isnt dead. Ive seen 45s take pigs down with one shot but its got to be the right bullet and the right placement. Hard cast 255grain +P is pretty effective but not even close to a marginal rifle like the 3030.

Seems like the guy was just a bad shot while holding the camera. Once he actually hit the boar, it goes down. Ever heard of the expression "running around like a headless chicken"? Things don't always fall to the ground motionless. That doesn't mean it isn't dead. Inhumane? I wouldn't say so, in this regard. Ideal caliber? Probably not. No one ever agrees on this topic, though.

It all comes back to using enough gun. Sorry fanboys the 45 ACP aint it, whether its a 150 lb pig or a 100lb whitetail. A 357 Mag or 10mm is the bottom level of power that an ethical handgun hunter would use. I would not even use those. It is a 44 magnum for me with a Barnes X bullet (.429" 225 GR XPB FB (44 MAG) | Barnes Bullets) @ 1500 fps.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links