.45 ACP vs wild boar

This is a discussion on .45 ACP vs wild boar within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Bad shooting, plain and simple"-gm10x2 Agreed. But, I though the op intended the discussion to be directed at ballistics. If a .22 lr would have ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: .45 ACP vs wild boar

"Bad shooting, plain and simple"-gm10x2

Agreed. But, I though the op intended the discussion to be directed at ballistics. If a .22 lr would have been sufficient, then a 45acp would also be sufficient, proper bullet type and charge accounted for, and PLACEMENT being crucial as you mentioned. Had the first pistol round hit squarely between the runnin' lights, and had it been a proper projectile driven at adequate velocity, then, theoretically we'd have a "black hawg down". Lack of adequate placement does not mean the round is ballistically inadequate. The vid does not give us info about the projectile used, or the load of the cartridge. So, hard to say. And since it took an entire mag to end the episode, we won't know if the rounds used by the shooter would have delivered an instant stop to that pig (adequate) or not, as none of them were placed adequately.

My comment about leaving the camera at home and putting both hands on the pistol was intended to convey that a properly placed shot,or even two ending the encounter, would have been preferable to the goatrope that ensued. Thus, the saying: a hit with a .22 beats a miss with a .44.

dan

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    "Bad shooting, plain and simple"-gm10x2

Agreed. But, I though the op intended the discussion to be directed at ballistics. If a .22 lr would have been sufficient, then a 45acp would also be sufficient, proper bullet type and charge accounted for, and PLACEMENT being crucial as you mentioned. Had the first pistol round hit squarely between the runnin' lights, and had it been a proper projectile driven at adequate velocity, then, theoretically we'd have a "black hawg down". Lack of adequate placement does not mean the round is ballistically inadequate. The vid does not give us info about the projectile used, or the load of the cartridge. So, hard to say. And since it took an entire mag to end the episode, we won't know if the rounds used by the shooter would have delivered an instant stop to that pig (adequate) or not, as none of them were placed adequately.

My comment about leaving the camera at home and putting both hands on the pistol was intended to convey that a properly placed shot,or even two ending the encounter, would have been preferable to the goatrope that ensued. Thus, the saying: a hit with a .22 beats a miss with a .44.

dan
    Oh, I agree Dan, no argument from me on that.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post

dan
    I agree that only hits count, but he did hit, several times.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links