.45 ACP vs wild boar

.45 ACP vs wild boar

This is a discussion on .45 ACP vs wild boar within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; not my video Saw this another forum. There is a debate going on about it being humane/inhumane. If we can (hopefully) get over that and ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: .45 ACP vs wild boar

.45 ACP vs wild boar

not my video

Saw this another forum. There is a debate going on about it being humane/inhumane.

If we can (hopefully) get over that and talk ballistics, it would make an interesting thread. but I doubt it will, so I guess I'll let it take it's own course.

LiveLeak.com - Wild Boar Charges Hunter **Warning: graphic**

all those .45s into the boar and he is still charging. takes one to the head, and DRT...

I think a 9mm would have done the same thing. piss off the boar until you put one in the head, then it would have dropped. Good thing he had enough rounds in that mag. It would have SUCKED if he ran out of ammo in that mag.. with a 9mm, he would have had almost 3 times what he had in that mag. and possibly had more rounds to put in his head after body shots didn't work.

(really curious how this thread will play out)

Don't shoot the messenger OK? I'm just posting a video that I thought was interesting and related to ballistics

I didn't get the "DRT" with the headshot... certainly slowed the beast down a bit more, though. Overall, I think it just illustrates how meager handgun rounds are for putting down wild animals. Friends who've gone on boar hunts have told me "oh, it doesn't take much to put a boar down"... but unless this pig had been doing PCP prior to charging, I think it's good evidence to the contrary. I'm a big fan of the .45 ACP, and for wild animals I'd prefer that to a .38, but I think a big-bore magnum would be preferable when hunting animals that could hurt you. I'd take six (or even 5) .41 or .44 mags over the 9 .45 ACP the guy fired.

Do we know anything about the kind of ammo used - FMJ or HP? If I had to guess I'd say FMJ, since once shot seemed to break the left rear leg without really tearing it up (although I didn't examine the video in great detail).

With regard to the "humane" aspect, I'll just say I'd prefer to shoot once or at the most, twice.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

DRT enough to stop him. lol

An acquaintance bow hunted boars in Texas. He carried a 44 Magnum as his sidearm. I thought he was crazy on several different levels, but the 44 Mag made all of the sense in the world.

A wild boar has a protective piece of cartilage over it's vital's and a .45 will not penatrate it. At the angle the hog was charging, the only two killing shot's would have been a spine or head shot to stop it. It's suggested to carry nothing no smaller than .357 mag when going into hog country. A good hard cast bullet loaded hot would be my first choice.
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

VIP Member
    The boar was out of the fight once its leg broke. After that it was just a mercy (or lack thereof) killing.

People have been known to soak up .45's too, but that doesn't prompt me to envy the 9mm for higher capacity.

This does make me think about revisiting my 10mm kit for the G30 and becoming proficient with it as a sidearm for hunting. I don't use it much because I'm just dead-nuts accurate with the .45 it was intended for.

Although, this is an excellent excuse to get a .44 mag . I've been eyeing the Super Blackhawk lately for just that purpose.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Administrator
    Well, ammo selection information is lacking so I/we really have no idea what he was attempting to drop the boar with.

Certainly if I was packing a pistol in .45ACP as "insurance" for boar I would fit that pistol with a stouter recoil spring and stoke it with BuffaloBore - either FMJ .230gr Flat Nose @981 fps ~ or 255gr Hard Cast Flat Nose @960fps. Both of those hit really hard and like to bust through tough stuff.

Really though Handgun Selection would be equally as important ammo selection and personally I would carry at least a Ruger Redhawk .44 MAG stoked with +P+ Lead flat Nose.

And then when you carry the right handgun/ammo combo you don't have to pray and spray the porker in order to drop it.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

boars have protective cartilage? never knew that.. interesting

I hog hunt, and I carry a 5-1/2" Redhawk .44 Mag, loaded with 225 gr. LeveRevolution as my sidearm. Never had to use it (yet), but I prefer it to anything smaller. Every hog I've shot at so far has been DRT from the .30-30.

Regards,
    Jim

I've watched my nephew drop a 175lbs pig with his Marlin 60 but I'm pretty sure any caliber would've killed it because he shot it in the ear.

same as anything else I suppose. placement is key. wild hogs have a "cape" under their hide protecting their vitals. it's like an inch thick and 18" wide thumbnail behind their front legs. not bullet proof but it certainly slows projectiles down and/or alters trajectory if not a perpendicular shot. boy if it comes down to the handgun you'd better target the head.

dad hunts them with a handgun but it's a 460xvr. may as well be a rifle. I take a 30/30, 45/70, 35rem, or M1a. and a G20. I've never shot a hog more than once though. or with a handgun.

There was some sort of unremovable annoying tag about "Adobe Flash Player Settings" in the middle of of the clip so I couldn't really see the initial shots and effect. I just upgraded the operating system on this Mac computer so need to complete some additional updates I guess. Anyway, the first shot that I could observe that made a good hit put the hog down. The struggles during the follow-up shots appeared to be more a matter of nerves than any fighting mettle remaining in an obviously clobbered and expiring pig. I would have been satisfied with the performance from what could be seen around the tag. The follow-up shots didn't appear to be truly necessary.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Runt View Post
    A wild boar has a protective piece of cartilage over it's vital's and a .45 will not penatrate it...
    Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    boars have protective cartilage? never knew that.. interesting
    A boar's shield is not cartilage - it's scar tissue built up from fighting other boars. A .45ACP will easily penetrate it. So will a .22LR. It will sometimes deflect an arrow.

Regards,
    Jim

Glad he kept firing..That Boar was not going to stop, until that leg was taken out of service. He stayed pretty calm ..apparently...throughout the entire charge. I think he backed up about one step. I'm thinking he was pretty confident in the 45acp. Maybe a tad bit too much so...
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Texas Hog Hunting - Feral and Russian Crossed Hog ...
    www.hunting-in-texas.com/ ...
    Please read about 1A Hunting in Texas Guide Service and our Texas hog hunting program, ... They have a cartilage shield under their chest skin that can be two inches thick or more! If you click on wild hog hunts it will tske you to more info on that site.
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links