The problem with stopping power.

This is a discussion on The problem with stopping power. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Found this and thought I would share. The Problem with Stopping Power | Down Range TV...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The problem with stopping power.

Found this and thought I would share.

The Problem with Stopping Power | Down Range TV
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Interesting article. Thanks for posting the link. One thing that is seldom mentioned how much it takes to motivate the individual receiving the incoming fire to stop what he's doing and retreat. A burglar might retreat at the mere sight of a gun. A 300 lb man psychotic on drugs might keep coming regardless of what you are shooting at him.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Im of the belief that pain compliance works. Put enough pain on someone they should stop. I understand that may not work 100% of the time, but have yet run into someone willing to take round after round. There will always be a stand out to this, that is why I prefer a .45 as my EDC...
    baren and mano3 like this.

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I'd rather have 7 or 8 holes in me than 16 or 17 slightly smaller holes. But then again, I'd rather have no more holes than I have now.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Taken from the article: "Picture a truck hitting a wall at 25 mph and a VW Beetle hitting the same wall at 50 mph."

I read that and think, ok, so the beetle is probably more destroyed. But what about the wall (aka "your target")? You can't beat Sir Isaac Newton with speed. The laws of physics don't change.

Also, the author says smaller calibers are better for recoil. I have a problem with that too. Anyone ever shoot a Kahr CM9 vs a 1911? The 1911 shoots faster and has less recoil. Reason being the new generation of carry guns are VERY light. You need some weight to negate recoil. Typical .45 acp handguns are still fairly large.

Bottom line, you can't speak in absolutes when it comes to ballistics. Shoot what you like. ALL handguns have been proven to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post

Also, the author says smaller calibers are better for recoil. I have a problem with that too. Anyone ever shoot a Kahr CM9 vs a 1911? The 1911 shoots faster and has less recoil. Reason being the new generation of carry guns are VERY light. You need some weight to negate recoil. Typical .45 acp handguns are still fairly large.

Bottom line, you can't speak in absolutes when it comes to ballistics. Shoot what you like. ALL handguns have been proven to kill.
    Good post. I find that my sons Glock 23 .40 has more recoil than my xd .45. I suspect has something to do with the psi of the loads as well. The .40 to shoot a box can be painful while the .45 with its slower recoil is much easier.

I've had to stop some people immediately in their tracks and I didn't want to engage with my 1911 .45, I simply grabbed and rapidly lifted the double paper bag I require my wife to wear in public. The BG'S ran away in fear leaving their stomach contents behind
    LongJohn6284 and smolck like this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    I've had to stop some people immediately in their tracks and I didn't want to engage with my 1911 .45, I simply grabbed and rapidly lifted the double paper bag I require my wife to wear in public. The BG'S ran away in fear leaving their stomach contents behind
    Dennis was unaware that his wife was behind him reading over his shoulder until the cast iron skillet came crashing down on his head.
    baren likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

We need a gun that shoots kitchen knives because more people get killed by kitchen knives then and bullets
    CanuckQue and JoeK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Dennis was unaware that his wife was behind him reading over his shoulder until the cast iron skillet came crashing down on his head.
    You got that right! Of course I was just kidding and my feable attempt at some humor to lighten things up a bit.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Im of the belief that pain compliance works. Put enough pain on someone they should stop. I understand that may not work 100% of the time, but have yet run into someone willing to take round after round. There will always be a stand out to this, that is why I prefer a .45 as my EDC...
    Pain is rarely felt with any appreciable amount of adrenaline.

Quote Originally Posted by TumblingFTW View Post
    Pain is rarely felt with any appreciable amount of adrenaline.
    Im sure that you know this for sure. Please tell us what the appreciable amount of adrenaline is so that we do not feel pain....I would really like to know....

Im sure that you know this for sure. Please tell us what the appreciable amount of adrenaline is so that we do not feel pain....I would really like to know....
    Look up dozens of Medal of Honor winners and see what many of them did despite receiving mortal wounds.

Adrenaline, anger, alcohol, narcotics, mental disturbances--all can make an assailant seemingly immune to pain.

In short, pain compliance is not something to be relied on.
    marcclarke likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Look up dozens of Medal of Honor winners and see what many of them did despite receiving mortal wounds.

Adrenaline, anger, alcohol, narcotics, mental disturbances--all can make an assailant seemingly immune to pain.

In short, pain compliance is not something to be relied on.
    You may want to re-read my first post. I never said that pain compliance was something to rely upon 100% of the time. Maybe its something in the water. Or maybe my swedish is out of whack today.

You may want to re-read my first post. I never said that pain compliance was something to rely upon 100% of the time. Maybe its something in the water. Or maybe my swedish is out of whack today.
    Argument Clinic - YouTube
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links