Real World feedback, please-- (^_^)

This is a discussion on Real World feedback, please-- (^_^) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm quite aware that the old 'FBI/Chicago' load, the 158gr. +P LSWCHP (Remington) is probably the alltime proven .38 Special load (even given the nod ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Scouse

Thread: Real World feedback, please-- (^_^)

I'm quite aware that the old 'FBI/Chicago' load, the 158gr. +P LSWCHP (Remington) is probably the alltime proven .38 Special load (even given the nod by the "Snake-Charmer" himself!), especially for snubbies [note: this is now debatable with the Speer Gold Dot 135SB in the fray].

I'm wondering, however, for use in 4" barrels, does anyone have any REAL input concerning the Remington UMC 125gr. SJHP +P (L38S2)? I've only seen one You Tube test on it, fired into water, and it seemed fairly impressive, but........ any other input?

Thanks & GOD bless. (^_^)

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
    I'm quite aware that the old 'FBI/Chicago' load, the 158gr. +P LSWCHP (Remington) is probably the alltime proven .38 Special load (even given the nod by the "Snake-Charmer" himself!), especially for snubbies [note: this is now debatable with the Speer Gold Dot 135SB in the fray].

I'm wondering, however, for use in 4" barrels, does anyone have any REAL input concerning the Remington UMC 125gr. SJHP +P (L38S2)? I've only seen one You Tube test on it, fired into water, and it seemed fairly impressive, but........ any other input?

Thanks & GOD bless. (^_^)
    Two of my students shot people, using the .38Spl 158g LSW, not hollow points. 4" S&W Mod 65 stainless revolvers.

One was a chest hit (chopped the Pulmonary artery in half) range 4". Effect, stopped, half a step to the rear, collapse.
    DRT. Found in clothing, traversed the whole chest.

Other, my student (Brinks Armored Car Guard) shot from prone, about 10 yds, fired twice, one missed, the robber was taking cover behind a telegraph pole, as the criminal was half twisted around, the round hit him in the side, punched a hole right through his guts, round never recovered, he collapsed immediately he was hit.

Now uses a bag for toilet visits, recovered to spend 4 years in prison.

I think your lead 158g LHP are real good medicine. Good luck.
    Bark'n likes this.

Thank you, Sir, for the input. (^_^) Any commentary on the L38S2? Anyone?

VIP Member
    No "real world" experience, thank God. But I've carried it when I blew through my supply of Golden Sabers at the range. It's also a close ballistic match to the Golden Saber, so it's great practice ammo. I would also have no concerns if my life depended on it. I've shot well over 1,000 rounds of this stuff, probably closing in on 1,500, and have never had a problem.

When I first got on the PD in 1980 our issue load was the Remington 158gr +P LSWCHP but the number was different, it was L38S12. I dont know what the difference is between that and the L38S2 you mentioned. We were also issued Winchester X38SPD and a Federal load ( Part number unknown ) again 158Gr+P LSWCHP. What we found was that the Remington and Federal performed pretty much the same but the Winchester very seldom expanded, it mostly acted like a FMJ cartridge. It turns out the lead in the Remington and the Federal was softer, the Winchester had more Antimony, the lead was harder causing the problem. The Remington and Federal were good rounds at the time but I think today and this is only my opinion, the Speer Gold Dot 135gr+P Short Barrel JHP is superior in the J frame revolvers. Hope this helps.

In reply to theheater905:

Indeed, the current catalog number for the Remington 158gr+P LSWCHP is R38S12 (Remington Express, yellow/green box). The L38S2 is the 125gr SJHP +P, Remington UMC [Note: It appears that the 'R' prefix is for the more expensive yellow/green-box product, and the 'L' prefix is for the more economical UMC green/white box. Although opinions differ, I spoke with a representative at the Remington ammo plant a few months ago and she assured me that the only difference in the two products was one 'washing'. Seems like a lot of difference in price for that one step, but.... who am I to say.] Yesterday at our local 'less-$ Mart' (not the W-one), I bought two boxes of the L38S2 on sale for $14.97@ (50rd. boxes). I had thought to order a couple of boxes of the R38S12, but the current price was $38.xx for 50. Uhhh....... what am I missing? These are solid lead, while the MUCH cheaper rounds are a jacketed bullet.......hmmmmmm........ From my own testing (water-filled Gatorade bottles/1gal. water jugs), the L38S2 seems to expand fine from my 4" model 10, but I still want the R38S12 for my snub. Just for laughs, I also fired an old 'out of print' round of the Federal 38F-TD and the expansion was right there!! [Note: This is the old 'Treasury Dept.' load, 110gr. 'Controlled Expansion', which was rated as +P+, to my understanding. The headstamp doesn't even say '.38', just 'FC 89'. These are some bad-mofo .38's !! Definitely NOT for a non-steel J-Frame!]

The reason I started the thread was to find out if anyone has had any 'real world/street' experience with the L38S2, or has any source of good lab testing (sim-test, etc.) for this round. Obviously, Gatorade bottles aren't an indication of performance in serious social use (GOD forbid!!!!!).

Interceptor,
    There is a site by the late Stephen A.Camp ( a retired LEO ) called Hipowers and Handguns, when you get on the site click on other handguns. He has a tremendous amount of info, comparisons and testing he did.

I'll check it out. Thank you, Sir. (^_^)

Links