9mm +P versus standard pressure? - Page 2

9mm +P versus standard pressure?

This is a discussion on 9mm +P versus standard pressure? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Personally I prefer standard pressure 147 gr in the 9mm, and think the standard pressure in 124 would be fine also. IF you really wanted ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 9mm +P versus standard pressure?

Personally I prefer standard pressure 147 gr in the 9mm, and think the standard pressure in 124 would be fine also. IF you really wanted to try +p and can't find them lcally, look at SGAmmo.com.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaT View Post
    Personally I prefer standard pressure 147 gr in the 9mm, and think the standard pressure in 124 would be fine also. IF you really wanted to try +p and can't find them lcally, look at SGAmmo.com.
    That's where I've been looking, and where I bought the standard pressure stuff.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

SGAmmo.com has Remington 124 golden saber bonded +P on sale at $11.95 per box of 25. It drops to $10.95 if you buy 20 or more boxes

Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    You can overthink this ballistics stuff.SHOT PLACEMENT! Shoot fast,don't miss.
    Yep.

Most +P+ is rated only 10% more than a typical 9mm ammo. Is that 10% going to be a BIG difference, not likely . However it will cycle your slide faster and may not work well in the PM9 at all... causing misfeeds, etc.

Shoot what works well for you, that your gun likes, and is easiest on your pocket book.... and worry more about "accuracy" and technique. Personally, I like the 124 gr, and that's all I use.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Stopping power as it relates to handgun ammunition is a myth. Energy is also meaningless measurement. Handgun bullets incapacitate by either severing the CNS or causing enough blood loss as to drop blood pressure to the point the individual is no longer able to function.
    This guy may disagree with you.

I have loved the 124gr+P GDHPs for many years in my 9mms. It's just my way to go pretty much. I may not be giving you any good reasons, but I have my own. Stick with what works best for you.

Of course... two days after I post this, I get an email from SGAmmo saying that they have 124gr +P in stock for both Gold Dot and HST. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I have loved the 124gr+P GDHPs for many years in my 9mms. It's just my way to go pretty much. I may not be giving you any good reasons, but I have my own. Stick with what works best for you.
    I generally prefer the mid-range weight (124 in 9mm, 165 in .40) with the highest velocity available. I just wanted to know if I screwed up by accepting the standard pressure instead of waiting for the +P. In other words, I share your preference, but would you feel like standard pressure was a bad choice if +P wasn't available?
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

The gain in +p is minimal in the top rounds. Bullets are made to work well in the of round. Ranger , HST are fine. Gold dot has the most real data in police use as its what most departments use. The goal most makers are shooting for us the 125 grain 357 mag load. Historically the best SD round
    Last edited by Happypuppy; June 6th, 2012 at 11:06 PM.

After watching some ballistic tests from "Tnoutdoors" on you tube I switched from the 124gr +P Federal HST to the 147gr standard pressure Federal HST.

Give it a look!

I carry 147gr+P HSTs in my SR9c, but that isn't because I initially wanted the +P. I ordered +P because that was what was available at the time. While I think standard pressure is perfectly adequate, I do not regret my decision going with +P. With my 3.5" barrel, the +P would certainly increase the velocity compared to a standard load in the same barrel length. +P loads generally have more expansion and less penetration. I am okay with less penetration than a standard load, but I really prefer a bullet that expands to a large diameter. This is my primary reason for picking the heavier weight with the HSTs. A larger diameter means a larger damage path, cutting nerves, veins and arteries. 147gr HSTs regularly expand to over .70" in tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher10 View Post
    I carry 147gr+P HSTs in my SR9c, but that isn't because I initially wanted the +P. I ordered +P because that was what was available at the time. While I think standard pressure is perfectly adequate, I do not regret my decision going with +P. With my 3.5" barrel, the +P would certainly increase the velocity compared to a standard load in the same barrel length. +P loads generally have more expansion and less penetration. I am okay with less penetration than a standard load, but I really prefer a bullet that expands to a large diameter. This is my primary reason for picking the heavier weight with the HSTs. A larger diameter means a larger damage path, cutting nerves, veins and arteries. 147gr HSTs regularly expand to over .70" in tests.
    That makes me wonder... my 9mm is a Kahr CM9 has a 3" barrel... I wonder what velocity advantage there is in such a short barrel, will there be unutilized powder left when the bullet leaves the barrel? In other words, do I lose any advantage that might be present in the +P by using a little pistol?

-- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    That makes me wonder... my 9mm is a Kahr CM9 has a 3" barrel... I wonder what velocity advantage there is in such a short barrel, will there be unutilized powder left when the bullet leaves the barrel? In other words, do I lose any advantage that might be present in the +P by using a little pistol?
    This chart gives some insight into bullet velocities as they pertain to barrel length: BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: 9mm Luger Results

Shorter barrel = lower velocity.
    Gunga Galunga

Quote Originally Posted by Kadelic View Post
    This chart gives some insight into bullet velocities as they pertain to barrel length: BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: 9mm Luger Results

Shorter barrel = lower velocity.
    That spreadsheet looks great, but they don't have +P and standard in the same bullet by the same manufacturer... anywhere. I'm just wondering if you still get greater velocity going to 3" barrel between the two loads.

I might have to bust out the chrono on this one... but I need to do some creative purchasing

-- John F. Kennedy

Here's a round with a very good street record--Corbons 115+P!

Thouhgt ya might like to see a video on this round!

Cor-Bon 115gr 9mm JHP +P - Ammo test - YouTube

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links