9mm SD Carry Round?

This is a discussion on 9mm SD Carry Round? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by hinkleid So, best .357 Sig Round? Seen Double Tap and Corbon make some tough loads! I haven't shot anyone/anything with .357 SIG, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 9mm SD Carry Round?

Quote Originally Posted by hinkleid View Post
    So, best .357 Sig Round? Seen Double Tap and Corbon make some tough loads!
    I haven't shot anyone/anything with .357 SIG, so I can't speak from my own experience. However, in a podcast episode discussing defensive handgun ammunition, Massad Ayoob recommends the Speer Gold Dot 125 grain, because that load has the most extensive track record of real-world defensive shootings (link to podcast episode). I'd be inclined to go with that load.

As for finding the muzzle velocity, energy, etc. of these rounds, that info is available on the ammo manufacturer's websites, but often in the law enforcement section. For example, the Winchester law enforcement catalog (downloadable PDF) has the specs on the Ranger in all calibers towards the back.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by HNLtrades View Post
    I haven't shot anyone/anything with .357 SIG, so I can't speak from my own experience. However, in a podcast episode discussing defensive handgun ammunition, Massad Ayoob recommends the Speer Gold Dot 125 grain, because that load has the most extensive track record of real-world defensive shootings (link to podcast episode). I'd be inclined to go with that load.

As for finding the muzzle velocity, energy, etc. of these rounds, that info is available on the ammo manufacturer's websites, but often in the law enforcement section. For example, the Winchester law enforcement catalog (downloadable PDF) has the specs on the Ranger in all calibers towards the back.

Right you are, sir:
    LE - Gold Dot
    LE - Tactical HST
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

There is more than pure power/velocity/foot pounds of energy to consider when picking 9mm Ammo.

I am sure you know that shooting human aggressors has more than one or two means of putting them down, so to speak. First is accuracy, can't effect target, if you can not hit it.

Second, the bullet must reach deeply enough to disrupt organs, if the central nervous system is not disrupted. It now gets a little technical, as no handgun round (or any pistol round) will cause instant incapacitation, not guaranteed to do so that is. We must fire multiple rounds, so we need cartridges that their recoil does not take them off the target, in order to allow multiple hits, quickly.

So heavy bullets, that recoil less, is the ticket, IE 147g non plus P projectiles. And continue to fire till there is no longer a threat. Quite a gamble shooting people.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    I am looking to pick up more rounds for S&W M&P 9c. I am looking for the "best", or closest I can get in 9.

9mm Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ T-Series RA9TA. +P+ version.
    Using the Ranger T-Series +P+ in a barrel under 4" maybe a waste of money as a barrel that short doesn't have enough length to burn all of the powder charge. My P30 does have a flash when I'm shooting in low light and my P2000 SK get about ± 8" of flame in low light. While it looks "Cool" it can upset your night vision and you really don't get all that velocity & energy! IMHO I'd stick with the +P versions of Ranger T-Series, HST, or Gold Dot.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Federal HST is a great round. Other tests.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    I trust anything from Dr Robert's recommended list that shoots reliably in your firearm.

FWIW, you need enough of your carry ammunition to reliability test in your firearm.

-john
    sgb likes this.

I run Gold Dots in my Glock 32 357 SIG. Also have some older HST for it. Both are 125 grains. Either are quite dependable.

I like the acme brick in a 1200g seems to take them down every time
    hinkleid likes this.

Where could I buy the LE Gold Dots?

I see Double Tap. Highest Velocity, but uses a 125 gr Sierra JHP bullet. Don't know too much about their quality. I know they are a big name in bullets. They also have a 115 Gr Nosler JHP that screams. Just not too sure on these. I'm used to the Gold Dot, Ranger, and of course the HST. But then you lose that fast velocity.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

For short barrel I or even long barrel, my top 2 choices would be HST +p or Gold Dot +p

Where could I buy the LE Gold Dots?

I see Double Tap. Highest Velocity, but uses a 125 gr Sierra JHP bullet. Don't know too much about their quality. I know they are a big name in bullets. They also have a 115 Gr Nosler JHP that screams. Just not too sure on these. I'm used to the Gold Dot, Ranger, and of course the HST. But then you lose that fast velocity.
    http://ammoman.com
    http://SGAmmo.com
    http://midwayusa.com has them sometimes

They aren't always referred to as "LE", but the 50 round boxes are the LE packaging. Also, the product code starts with a 2 for the commercial self defense stuff or a 5 for the LE stuff. The rest of the numbers are the same. I have it on authority from Speer/ATK that they're the exact same rounds.

I wouldn't get hung up on velocity for carry stuff. If you handgun hunt, then look for every last FPS, but defensive ammo is best bought in original manufacturer self defense or LEO packaging.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by livewire; June 12th, 2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: fixed links
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links