9mm SD Carry Round?

This is a discussion on 9mm SD Carry Round? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to pick up more rounds for S&W M&P 9c. I am looking for the "best", or closest I can get in 9. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 9mm SD Carry Round?

9mm SD Carry Round?

I am looking to pick up more rounds for S&W M&P 9c. I am looking for the "best", or closest I can get in 9.

I currently carry, 9mm Federal HST 124gr HP hollow point LE ammo P9HST1. They are getting old, and I am down to about 20 after I fill magazines.

I am looking into either these again, or

9mm +P Federal HST 124gr HP hollow point LE ammo P9HST3. Same thing, just the +P version.

9mm Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ T-Series RA9TA. +P+ version.

Would anyone know the "stats" on these rounds? (Muzzle Velocity, Energy), as I have been unable to locate any info.

I do not want to make this a caliber war as often I carry .45 and use 45 Auto +P Federal HST 230gr HP hollow point LE ammo P45HST1 or Double Tap's Gold Dots.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

2. Remove Ads

Don't know the stats, but here you go.....

It almost seems a wash doesn't it? Looks like either will get the job done. I prefer the extra speed of the Rangers, which will equate to a little more power. However, looking at the expansion (although BOTH look great), those HST's look flat out wicked.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Glock 33

hinkleid,
    Google Speer LE Ammo, you will then have a choice of Speer or Federal, click on pistol and it will open to the different ammo offered by each brand, pick the ammo you want specs for, check the boxes and compare. Hope this helps

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I use speed 124 grain JHP. Go to their page.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Federal HST is a great round. Other tests.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    find out what your local police department uses. and your state police.

if it happens that you end up in court, the DA will be hard put to make you
    kill happy/evil for your choice of ammo if it is the same that they use to protect themselves
    and the community.

golden sabers; 9 and 45
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Winchester SXT 127 grain +P+ RA9TA

for whatever you think it may be worth: Gun tests, in its March 2005 issue, liked the Ranger +P+ more than any of the other +P or +P+ rounds they tested.

Winchester 127 grain SXT +P+ (RA9TA): average velocity: 1199 fps (20 shots, 40 degrees ambient temp., muzzle 10' from skyscreens, elevation 273' above sea level) SD: 8fps

muzzle energy: 405.5 ft-lbs

accuracy: 1.8" (four -5 shot groups at 25 yards, Ransom Rest)

power factor: 152.3

expansion: 0.69"

retained weight: 119.5 grains

penetration: 15 feet

"While not the hottest ammo tested, this load still generated more than 400 foot-pounds of energy, and was the most consistent ammunition velocity-wise at a mere 7 fps SD. Accuracy was decent. It expanded well, had great weight retention, and penetrated within acceptable limits. Either of these loads (the Remington 115 grain JHP, +P+ was the other, with 3-stars), would make a superior choice for self-defense, though we lean toward the Winchester 127 grain SXT +P+ by virtue of its accuracy, consistent velocities, and that it hit point of aim with a fixed-sight gun set up for standard pressure ammo." 4-stars
    Last edited by sensei2; June 10th, 2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: found more information

I carry 9mm 124gr +P in either Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST for three reasons:

1. It's a good combination of velocity and bullet weight.
    2. Both are proven LE utilized rounds that both expand, penetrate and retain mass reliably.
    3. I can buy both locally in 50 round boxes, which are more economical than in 20 round boxes.

Buffalo Bore 147gr +P+ w/Gold Dots in the CZ Rami 9.....heavy and plenty fast enough.

The things I look for are a bonded bullet, good velocity and a proven bullet design. I go with the HST, Ranger and the Gold Dot based on the current "on the street" results from places like tactical-life.com. It seems that the 124 is the most popular wieght followed by the 147 and 127. Under 124 grains it seems results are mixed

Sent from my 300 baud modem

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I only trust Speer gold dot
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Speer GD here too. Have lots for my 9mm and 380. Got a couple of boxes for my 44 mag also. They are proven performers.

Check out the following link: 9 mm 124 gr testing - M4Carbine.net Forums and this thread: Corbon DPX 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP duty ammo vs. Fed HST as control - M4Carbine.net Forums
    You'll find test results of Penetration, Expansion and Recovered weights of the Fed HST, Rem GS, Gold Dots for both 124gr and 147gr.

I think I figured the true answer to this. Rather than racking my brain, I traded M&P 9c for an almost new Glock 33 in .357 Sig.

So, best .357 Sig Round? Seen Double Tap and Corbon make some tough loads!
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Glock 33

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links