Remington 38 Special +P 158 Grain LSWCHP Test

This is a discussion on Remington 38 Special +P 158 Grain LSWCHP Test within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've carried this load for many years, but never really knew how good it was until I had the chance to test it myself last ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Remington 38 Special +P 158 Grain LSWCHP test

Remington 38 Special +P 158 Grain LSWCHP test

I've carried this load for many years, but never really knew how good it was until I had the chance to test it myself last weekend. Excellent results from my LCR.

Mouse Guns and Gear: Remington 38 Special +P 158 Grain LHP Denim and Gel test
    Cory1022 and kmagnuss like this.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

2. Remove Ads

Awesome ! I've been looking for this "FBI" load on youtube for some time now. Some reviews I read mentioned QC issues with the Remington recently such ass sealant issues and crimp problems. Have trouble finding it in my area. Found a bunch of 38Spl +p 125gr SJHP so I hope my lemon squeezer likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBun View Post
    Awesome ! I've been looking for this "FBI" load on youtube for some time now. Some reviews I read mentioned QC issues with the Remington recently such ass sealant issues and crimp problems. Have trouble finding it in my area. Found a bunch of 38Spl +p 125gr SJHP so I hope my lemon squeezer likes it.
    Previously, I would link to sites that had ammo but adsense didn't like that. My last few boxes came from Midway USA. Nothing in the Express line is cheap so it's best to wait for Midway to put up a 10% off deal so they cover most of the shipping cost.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

I have given up looking for that load at my local retailers. That is what I hand load as my "zombie" ammo.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

This is my standard carry round in the snubs... overall, it has a great track record, regardless of manufacturer (Win, Fed, Remington)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Excellent! My wife carries the LCR but with a lighter bullet. I'd be curious to see what kind of penetration you'd get with the standard pressure 158 gr. load.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Excellent! My wife carries the LCR but with a lighter bullet. I'd be curious to see what kind of penetration you'd get with the standard pressure 158 gr. load.
    I don't think Remington makes a standard pressure version of this load, but Buffalo Bore does. I also found a test of that ammo done by my mentor tnoutdoors9.

Looks good to me..............though I carry BB in my Model 36.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Much-appreciated video on an excellent defense load. The Remington version of the FBI Load has a great rep for expansion and penetration, as they got it right the first time on alloy hardness and geometry of the HP cavity. From what I've read, Winchester's version is a bit harder and has trouble expanding from a snub, although I can't vouch personally for that. Seems to have had an excellent rep in LE circles, though.

From what I've read about the Federal version, it supposedly went thru a couple of permutations on the cavity geometry.

EDIT: see post #5 on this link for some personal experience that seems more authoritative Real World feedback, please-- (^_^)

My personal Model 10 is loaded with the Remington version. Your test results are welcome confirmation of that choice.

I'd prefer a bit more penetration, but that is still respectable performance.

When I get my LCR, I'm thinking about a heavy LSWC...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I am overjoyed that you ran this test. I was unimpressed with the other video tests I found, like shooting into water barrels. I liked the load, now I can point to the test and say 'see?' to disbelievers. I like gel tests balanced with other info, which there is a lot of. My only problem now is finding it locally so I can grab a box here and there.

Thank you for posting this. This has been my "main most' 38sp load for a lotta years.

Late to this party since I've been out of town. It's good to see this thread. The +P 158 grain lead SWC load is what makes the .38 Special an attractive self-defense choice rather than the various jacketed light bullet +P loadings. I'm another happy user and have been for years. Dedicated self-defense .38 Special revolvers of all barrel lengths are currently being loaded with the Remington version of the old "FBI Load." The old maximum charge of Unique as listed in any of several older editions of Lyman manuals also duplicates this performance.

Here are results of chronograph testing of the Remington +P 158 grain lead SWC load from a 2-inch Smith & Wesson Model 10.

Remington +P 158 grain lead SWC

MV 942 FPS
    ME 311 ft./lbs.
    ES 66
    SD 30

Links to more personal .38 Special chronograph tests.

Some .38 Special Velocity Tests

Some .38 Special Velocity Tests

Four High-Performance .38 Special Handloads
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

thank you thank you!

Love it... so glad you did it.

Now how about a wadcutter test? I've heard they do some crazy things when they impact gelatin... but never seen it myself.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    I'm following this thread with much enthusiasm. bmcgilvray, I had not previously read the .38 spl threads that you posted links to. I shall now relieve my but of it's chair whenever you enter the .38 Special room.

Those Buffalo Bore .38 plus peas look more like what I'd expect of a .357 load out of a snubby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links