Speer Gold Dot in non-nickel plated brass?

This is a discussion on Speer Gold Dot in non-nickel plated brass? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Fisher10 I purchased a box of (re-packaged?) 124gr Speer Gold Dots about a year ago. They are supposed to be standard pressure ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speer Gold Dot in non-nickel plated brass?

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher10 View Post
    I purchased a box of (re-packaged?) 124gr Speer Gold Dots about a year ago. They are supposed to be standard pressure and look exactly like what you have without any +P designation on the head stamp. Regular brass cases. I noticed the cases had many stain marks on them, not that it would effect the function.

The box was purchased from SurplusAmmo.com at a local gun show. 50 rounds were $15 and they were in a re-usable clear plastic container. I haven't shot any of them but if they are what they're supposed to be, they were a heck of a bargain.
    Since I was cleaning my reloading area, I found the box of repackaged Gold Dots I posted about. The head stamp says 9x19 Speer, but also has "009 , 09" stamped. I researched the headstamp and the ammo I got was supposed to be French police contract ammo. Apparently it wasn't good enough because it lacked primer sealant and had cosmetic blemishes and who knows what else was wrong with it so it was was eventually sold to civilians. I'd still carry it, but it's not going to be my first or second choice. I hope this info enlightens somebody. International Ammunition Association {iaaforum.org} - View topic - Unusual Speer 9x19 headstamp Bulk Gold Dot, "Not for LE Use" "Practice Only" [Archive] - Glock Talk
    Last edited by Fisher10; August 12th, 2012 at 02:50 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    A General FYI Regarding Bright Nickel Plated Cartridge Cases

There is some advantage to having Nickel plated cartridge cases for semi-automatic handguns.

Of course not absolutely necessary but, bright Nickel plated cases are a definite worthwhile improvement.

Here are the reasons why.

Nickel has a greater hardness than brass.

It does add a small degree of strength to brass cartridge cases.

Nickel has much greater natural lubricity than brass so stacked cases in the magazine will slip over one another easier with less friction during the feed cycle.

Additionally Nickel is more tarnish resistant...and as un-plated brass cartridge cases age the tarnish produces more friction than new brass during the feed cycle.

For sure all of the above is not critical in a properly functioning semi-automatic but, the Nickel does slick up things in general a bit.

So if you do have a choice as to carrying self-defense ammo that is Nickel plated as VS just un-plated brass & (all other things being equal) choose the Nickel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    And where you will really see some true advantage of bright Nickel plated cartridge cases is in larger capacity handgun magazines and rifle mags of 20+ or 30 round capacity where magazine spring pressure is greatest in a fully stoked magazine.
    The top cartridges in the magazine will absolutely feed better/smoother if they are bright Nickel.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by HNLtrades View Post
    Well, I just heard back from Speer, and they say that the ammo in question was manufactured in 3rd quarter 1995.

I haven't had a chance to run this through my gun yet, so idk how reliable it is. I heard somewhere that one shouldn't use ammo that's over 10 years old for personal defense. Thoughts on this? Should I seek out newer manufacture ammo?
    yes, take the offer and trade it for new ones. it's nearing on 20 years of shelf life.

I completely agree QKShooter.
    While I don't think it's absolutely critical that SD ammo has nickle plated cases, I won't buy any premium defense ammo (unless it's cheap) unless it has nickle plated casings. The SD rounds w/o nickle plating go into my practice/"rainy day"/SHTF stash. If I have the choice, I only carry rounds that have nickle plated casings. Why Buffalo Bore, Cor-Bon, Underwood and other companies (Double Tap being an exception for many calibers) load nice, hot rounds with premium bullets that usually cost a lot but don't offer nickle plated casings? I have no idea... I'm sure it isn't the fraction of a cent per round that nickle plated casings would cost. It's kind of a deal breaker for me and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links