Speer Gold Dot in non-nickel plated brass?

This is a discussion on Speer Gold Dot in non-nickel plated brass? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I was visiting a local gun store, I picked up a box of 9mm Speer Gold Dots (124 gr. +P). When I brought them ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot in non-nickel plated brass?

While I was visiting a local gun store, I picked up a box of 9mm Speer Gold Dots (124 gr. +P). When I brought them home, I noticed the bullets are definitely Gold Dots, but the casings were not nickel plated like I'm used to with the 147 gr rounds I've purchased before. The headstamp says Speer 9mm Luger +P, but they definitely are brass-colored cases.

Any ideas on what this means, and where these rounds might have come from? I've included photos of the box and rounds. Thanks!

I believe what you have is the Lawman ammo which is I believe their training ammunition just loaded with the gold dot bullet. The self defense ammunition still goes by Speer Gold Dot.

Edit to add: You have a strange box of ammo there. The number is that of the Speer Gold Dot SD ammo but the box is calling it lawman which I verified is there training label. WEIRD. I'd call Speer and ask what the heck you have.

Speer Ammo - Lawman

Speer Ammo - Gold Dot

Speer's site, as NC Bullseye referenced, only shows 20 round boxes. The LE site sells 50 round boxes, which you have. But, on the page linked, 53617 is Gold Dot 9mm +P in 50 round box, not Lawman. The Lawman rounds are all loaded with FMJ or similar, not HP.

Interesting, I would call Speer and ask them. I am wondering if it is counterfeited and reloads or something.

It's real.

Likely it's training ammo, or an overrun of a special order.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Thanks for the input, everyone. I just emailed Speer, and will report back when I get a response. I guess I'll stick with my 147-grain Gold Dots until I get an answer.

Here's the response I received from Speer via email.

Those are legitimate Gold Dots, just older LE packaging is all. If you can find a lot # I can tell you about how old exactly. Lot # will appear something like B24T17, letter-two #'s, letter two #'s.
    Mystery solved, I'm keeping my M&P stuffed with these. Thanks again for the help, everyone!

Wow, those must be vintage.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

I'd sure be interested on the date of birth for those. I've been a GoldDot user for a few different versions of the LE packaging and have never seen it in a "Lawman" box.

I purchased a box of (re-packaged?) 124gr Speer Gold Dots about a year ago. They are supposed to be standard pressure and look exactly like what you have without any +P designation on the head stamp. Regular brass cases. I noticed the cases had many stain marks on them, not that it would effect the function.

The box was purchased from SurplusAmmo.com at a local gun show. 50 rounds were $15 and they were in a re-usable clear plastic container. I haven't shot any of them but if they are what they're supposed to be, they were a heck of a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    I'd sure be interested on the date of birth for those. I've been a GoldDot user for a few different versions of the LE packaging and have never seen it in a "Lawman" box.
    Well, I just heard back from Speer, and they say that the ammo in question was manufactured in 3rd quarter 1995.

I haven't had a chance to run this through my gun yet, so idk how reliable it is. I heard somewhere that one shouldn't use ammo that's over 10 years old for personal defense. Thoughts on this? Should I seek out newer manufacture ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by HNLtrades View Post
    Well, I just heard back from Speer, and they say that the ammo in question was manufactured in 3rd quarter 1995.

I haven't had a chance to run this through my gun yet, so idk how reliable it is. I heard somewhere that one shouldn't use ammo that's over 10 years old for personal defense. Thoughts on this? Should I seek out newer manufacture ammo?
    I'll trade you a brand new box of modern gold dot for yours :) I think it would be awesome to have, even if I never shot it up :)
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Their darn near antiques!

Just as a personal preference, I'd sell those as collector items and get some fresh. Speer has probably increased their quality levels in QC and production methods and probably better raw components so for SD do you really want to take a chance that maybe their not quite up to par?

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    I'll trade you a brand new box of modern gold dot for yours :) I think it would be awesome to have, even if I never shot it up :)
    And I'll pay for shipping both ways

-- John F. Kennedy

I just ran a variety of ammo of this vintage through my PPQ without a hiccup.

That said, I'd probably use it for reliability testing and practice and stick with unblemished and current ammo for defense.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher10 View Post
    I purchased a box of (re-packaged?) 124gr Speer Gold Dots about a year ago. They are supposed to be standard pressure and look exactly like what you have without any +P designation on the head stamp. Regular brass cases. I noticed the cases had many stain marks on them, not that it would effect the function.

The box was purchased from SurplusAmmo.com at a local gun show. 50 rounds were $15 and they were in a re-usable clear plastic container. I haven't shot any of them but if they are what they're supposed to be, they were a heck of a bargain.
    A number of the cases from my box also had stains and discoloration, but idk whether it was from long-term storage or manufacturing weirdness. I wish I could say these were a bargain; I bought this box at a local gun store for $45. I feel a bit ripped off, considering that the store said nothing about the age of the ammo (wine gets better with age, ammo not so much depending on how it was stored) and that it cost significantly more than comparable recently-manufactured ammo ($26.95 at SGAmmo for a box of 50 Gold Dot 9mm 124gr. +P)...

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Thanks very much for the offer, but I'll have to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Their darn near antiques!

Just as a personal preference, I'd sell those as collector items and get some fresh. Speer has probably increased their quality levels in QC and production methods and probably better raw components so for SD do you really want to take a chance that maybe their not quite up to par?
    Yeah, I'm using newer carry ammo and setting these aside for the range. Thanks again everyone for your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links