Winchester 357 Silver tips

This is a discussion on Winchester 357 Silver tips within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Right now i carry BB 38+P in my 620 for home and personnel defense. I am still looking for a good general 357 round to ...

Thread: Winchester 357 Silver tips

Winchester 357 Silver tips

Right now i carry BB 38+P in my 620 for home and personnel defense. I am still looking for a good general 357 round to carry at night while fishing. Something that would be good against 2 legged threats and Mountain lions. 158 gr. Gold dots and maybe Silvertips?

2. Remove Ads

I've used the SilverTip load for many years in my K frame 357s. it shoots dead on with fixed sights. Either load would work but the Gold Dot probably penetrates more?

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I have never shot a mountain lion, so this will be real speculation on my part. All I know for sure is that he Win silvertip ammo is absolutely first rate quality. It is what I use for concealed carry on the advice of a police officer I know. It is now I guess a bit of an older design, but the people who use this stuff swear by it.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

From what I've read, Silvertips are 70's - 80's "technology"; they fragmented and did not have "optimum" penetration (12"-18"), as that was not the necessary protocol of the times. However, what stopped the BG's 20 years ago should stop them today, which should be especially true in warm weather climates where heavy clothing is not a concern. Perhaps you should also give consideration to the Barnes bullet (DPX, Vor-Tx, Federal Premium Barnes Expander) or the Gold Dots.

. . . forgot to mention the Winchester Partition Gold

I would think that Silvertip technology has advanced the same as other bullet technology. Perhaps not. I always keep Silvertips available right next to my Zombie Max loads 'cuz you never know if you are going to encounter Werewolves or Zombies!

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I keep my Model 66 loaded with Silver Tips all the time, and shoot them at least once every six months or so just to feel it go off in my hands. They are dead-on accurate, but as I've had the good luck to never need to penetrate any threat, all I can give you is they shoot nice and straight and the recoil is more than tolerable in a good heavy pistol.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    I keep my Model 66 loaded with Silver Tips all the time, and shoot them at least once every six months or so just to feel it go off in my hands. They are dead-on accurate, but as I've had the good luck to never need to penetrate any threat, all I can give you is they shoot nice and straight and the recoil is more than tolerable in a good heavy pistol.
    Thanks! I am going to buy both and see which one has the least muzzle flash at night.

Links