New to this round: Gold Dot HP turning brownish in the barrel. M&P .45c

This is a discussion on New to this round: Gold Dot HP turning brownish in the barrel. M&P .45c within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is this normal? Each round had been chambered for about 6 days(first 3.) I use Hoppe's to clean. I carry in a Crossbreed Supertuck and ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By DC
  • 1 Post By Cuda66
  • 1 Post By sgb

Thread: New to this round: Gold Dot HP turning brownish in the barrel. M&P .45c

Is this normal? Each round had been chambered for about 6 days(first 3.) I use Hoppe's to clean. I carry in a Crossbreed Supertuck and live in New England. I don't know if that helps.
    Picture doesn't show it enough.

It is merely oxidation, no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happens to my rounds too. As Yoda mentioned, it's nothing to worry about.

Just to be cautious, you're not chambering the same round over and over again are you?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Just to be cautious, you're not chambering the same round over and over again are you?
    No I'm not. I picked them up from ammo.com and sent 4 boxes down range (200 rounds.) I had no problems so I bought a half dozen more. I don't get out often, maybe 2x a month so I try to cycle through ammo. I'm trying to get into Rockville Fish and Game because it's one town over but I can't seem to catch them when they are open. Blue Trails is a hike for me.

Rechambering the same round can cause bullet setback in some ammo,but there was a case where an LEO rechambered the same round every day when he cleared his gun once he got home,after numerous chamberings one day on duty he needed his firearm and the round failed to fire,he cycled a fresh round and it fired,the PD sent the round back to the factory,they determined the multiple impacts from rechambering the same round several hundred times had knocked the primer compound out of the primer which made the primer a "dud".I usually shoot the magazine of carry ammo in my gun monthly and rotate magazines so my oldest carry ammo in my mags is never over 3 months old
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Kroper View Post
    ... I use Hoppe's to clean.
    I'd avoid cleaning bullets with Hoppe's. Solvents will penetrate the primers. I'll occasionally wipe rounds with a silicone rag to remove pocket lent and deter moisture, oxidation and fingerprint oils, but that's about it.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

DC
    If those Gold Dots turn into green dots, then you've been carrying them too long.
    multistage, Guest1 and 4my sons like this.

It's called patina. All normal.

I've got two boxes of Federal HST 357 SIG rounds. So old they are in the gold Premium box. They look worse than that. Run it.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I have some.357sig gold dots that look like that. Like said above, it's normal.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippys View Post
    I'd avoid cleaning bullets with Hoppe's. Solvents will penetrate the primers. I'll occasionally wipe rounds with a silicone rag to remove pocket lent and deter moisture, oxidation and fingerprint oils, but that's about it.
    Yeah...not so true.

The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 1
    Superhouse 15 likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

sgb
    To avoid the problems associated with the constant chambering of the same ammunition stop the load/unload cycle. When my sidearm comes out of my holster to go in the safe it stays loaded. When it comes out of the safe it gets a press check and into the holster it goes.
    Guest1 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Well, I'll be darned.

If Tman says it, I believe it and that settles it. Thanks for the reminder to check Box O' Truth more often.

So Kroper (OP), Hoppe's away.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Kroper...where is the nearest range ?? been 40 yrs since I called Tolland home..used to shoot in Stafford in a gravel pit...going to move back (familybiz)for about 6 months soon...my carry ammo gets wiped down and polished with old school johnson paste wax...as well as my cast reloads... I dont think copper patina is as slick as new copper...I started waxing my cast loads to stop the oxidation on the lead, as well as lube them...I wipe my reloads down before sizeing.. I like the smell Johnson paste wax almost as much as Hoppes 9...

Sponsored Links