How many rounds do you keep at home?

This is a discussion on How many rounds do you keep at home? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; geeeeeeze....... I think I have more than the Local PD and their State Tactical Unit..They could come to me for support I guess <laughing> 5000 ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many rounds do you keep at home?

geeeeeeze....... I think I have more than the Local PD and their State Tactical Unit..They could come to me for support I guess <laughing>
    5000 rnd 223 (Colt 16's..) I also have some tracer
    5000 rnds 7.62x39 (pre 86 AK Dealer sample I transferred to myself)
    I THINK...(last time I checked) 10,000 rnds of 308 yup......10, 000 rnds of this stuff
    (in 250 Rnd belts for the M60 every 5th rnd a tracer so I can lead em a bit)
    3000 rnds (for an MG34 and MG 42)
    1000 Rnds of 30/06 (BAR
    10, 000 Rnds of 9 M/M (Uzi, MP5's, Mac)
    5000 Rnds of 45 ACP (Thompson)
    500 rnds 380 (mac 11)
    500 rnds 12 ga
    200 Rnds of the practice stuff for the M203 (looks nise with the white puff down range.though I wish it was H. E. stuff
    and I dunno what else is crawling around down in the storage area, cept I know if I had a fire..I'd light up the sky with what I have

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Only Class3 comes close to being a shooter! :rocketwhr

The rest of you should be ashamed of yourselves!

In a good weekend of shooting, I'll go thru 2-300 rounds of CF pistol ammo and now that my Wife has decided to try shooting, she went thru 200 rds of .22LR on Saturday. Since last Summer I've probably shot ~3K of pistol ammo.

When I buy, I buy by the case. When I shoot my AR15s, I shoot at least a bandoleer (120 or 140 rds) and it is close to 90 miles RT to my favorite gun shop, so I don't like to run up there very often.

I quit buying .223 when I counted up the cases and realized that I had 7K rds (probably 1K+ have been fired since then). I did a mini-inventory of one ammo storage area and came up with a total of ~6K pistol rds + 3K of pellets. Lots more in the other three ammo storage areas.

In MA you need a special ammo/powder/primer permit from the FD if you have more than a very small quantity of ammo. I think that the upper limit for the permit is ~50K rds total. If anything were to happen here the paraniod police chief would probably evacuate the entire town!

<whispering to Lens> psssssttt when I lived in Wilmington Ma, a few of the guys I know on the PD knew where they had to go, in oder to get the fun guns in case of a major problem in Town.. The FD gave me a permit for the ammo without a problem. Even though I live in NH now.....I'm still VERY good friends with the PD......just in case I need to go back there for some reason.. They told me I'd be Grandfathered in on my Green Card and my Class A license.. makes good scnese to keep friendly with the boys from south of the Border

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Class3, I was a member of the PD for 17 years as a Special PO. Currently I'm a Constable, so I'm on their good side. However our current chief hates guns, only carries one on duty because "he has to" and would go apoplectic if he knew that most serious target shooters have more than a couple hundred rounds of ammo on hand!

Our fire chief is a good guy, teaches and competes in martial arts, but owns one gun and A box of ammo!

I admit that I did go a bit overboard on the .223, but Four Seasons Firearms (Woburn) had a few great sales on full cases and I was picking up 1 or 2 cases/trip for a while until I did a quick count and surprised myself.

Assistant Administrator
    Awe shucks - well I ain't gonna go counting - so just ''seeing'' ammo on shelves and approximating!

.22lr - approx 10,000
    7.62x51 - Oz and Portugese - approx 1,500
    7.62x39 - approx 2k of Wolf
    7.62x54R - Around 450
    7.62x25 - for CZ-52 - 450
    8mm Turk - bulk purchase - approx total 4,000
    .243 - 100
    .303 Brit - Somewhere around 1,500 milsurp and 50 ''good stuff''.
    .45acp - 350
    9mm - 2,000 give or take
    9x18 Mak - 400 or so
    9x17/.380 - 800 ish
    .38/.357 - bit low right now - only about 200 - reloading much needed.
    .44 mag - 200 and lots of empties!
    45-70 - 20 - load these about 20 at a time as needed for BFR.
    .454 - 50 or so - and lots of empties.
    12G - 200 and much reloading needed.
    20G - 100 or so

Reloading supplies enough to keep me busy non-stop for a good month or more!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    This may sound like a stupid question, but how long can you hang onto a box if .45's or 9mm and expect it to still be good? Most of my life I've used up ammo just about as fast as I buy it with the exception of .22's. Now I'm building up my 9mm and have 400 rounds on had which is a lot to me. And next stupid question, where do some of you guys keep all those rounds? In a safe? Locking storage? You guys could surely hold the fort for some time!

Assistant Administrator
    My oldest milsurp - is so old that another year or two ain't gonna matter!!! New stuff? - well I try and ''rotate'' quite a bit - sorta first in - first out. Much of my 9mm goes quick because of IDPA. .45acp is slower but - use that in several platforms so still not around too long. Some stuff I load somewhat ''as needed''

I store in my office shed - outer part where gun cleaning etc done. Temp and humidity is essentially controlled and I have no qualms over storing for considerable periods. Modern ammo is good long term - and keeping for a year or three is no prob' as far as I can see.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Len? what city/town do you redsde in? just curious..........
    Gideon? the reason why I have so much as i was a FFL 03 dealer for a while..plus i love to shoot those "rock-n-roll" guns
    I was just lucky enough to have known the Cheif, his Licenseing authority, and a lot of officers on the PD where I was in Mass..The PD was really good to me...I'm going shooting with them this coming Saturday, The Former Lecensing Officer <who's retired now> his nephew <my son'e godfather> and a couple of the guys I'm freindly with asked me if I'd bring some stuff with me, so we can spend the day having fun.
    Nuthin like the scent of blue smoke and the ring of the brass as it hits the concrete LOL

I mentioned last year just before Corporate Challenge that I had loaded about 1,200 rounds of .45 ACP. A co-worker overheard and was mortified. "What in the world does anybody need with a thousand rounds of ammo?" I replied that we were going to start practicing for the range shoot and would shoot three or four hundred rounds a night maybe two or three nights a week for the next month. "A thousand rounds doesn't last long." Still bug eyed with his mouth hanging open. I said, "Rich, when deer season rolls around you buy a box of 20 .30-30 cartridges, shoot two or three at a cardboard box and if you hit it, you're ready for the hunt. You go into the woods and if lucky get your deer with two or three more shots. You still have over a half box left for next year. But it doesn't work that way for competition. On race day if you shoot less than 356 x 360 you cost your team a medal. His reply? "A thousand rounds of ammo?" The original question was, how much do you keep on hand? Enough to make the local news geek faint if he saw it all in one pile.

Couple thousand rounds of Federal Gold 168gr match .308 for the M1A

500rds of 357

Couple thousand rds of 45ACP (different bullet configurations-including 250rds of Black Talon) Does not count 500-1000 (constant replenishment) rds of 230gr Ball practice or competition ammo!

Couple thousand rds of 5.56mm for the Ruger Mini-14 w/factory folding stock. Anticipating an older CAR15 to come my way eventually by way of inheritance.

750rd of 9mm JHP

500rds of .30-30 150gr and 170gr Silvertip

250 rds of .30-06 for the Garand (already in en bloc clips) does not include specialty ammo like Tracer/AP or API.

150rds of .40 (not including 50 MagSafe)

Couple thousand rds of .22LR

I think that does it. IF I ever get the new Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull/ 45 LC I'll get 250rds of 454 and 250rds of 45LC Aside from that, I only plan on getting firearms for which i already have ammo supplies.

Why do I need all this? Well, I used to be a survival instructor and I was a good boyscout. "Be Prepared?" And I'm not too sure if the 2nd Coming of Christ is pre or post Tribulation (PRE I hope!) But just in case....

How much? Enough to make my home a spitting image of ground zero in case of a home fire. That's why when we build our retirement home, I plan on having a separate walk in vault for the guns and ammo.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Question when does ammo go bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon
    This may sound like a stupid question, but how long can you hang onto a box if .45's or 9mm and expect it to still be good? Most of my life I've used up ammo just about as fast as I buy it with the exception of .22's. Now I'm building up my 9mm and have 400 rounds on had which is a lot to me. And next stupid question, where do some of you guys keep all those rounds? In a safe? Locking storage? You guys could surely hold the fort for some time!
    I have successfully fired pre WAR .45 ammo and not had a single failure. I ain't talking of pre-IRAQ war...I'm talkin' WWII! "Modern Ammo" does NOT have an expiration date. Some 50 cal BMG and 45ACP rounds were picked up off the ocean floor after the Battle of the Coral Sea in WWII (Pacific) about 50 years after the event and THEY shot fine as well. Saw that article in Guns & Ammo several years ago.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    I have successfully fired pre WAR .45 ammo and not had a single failure. I ain't talking of pre-IRAQ war...I'm talkin' WWII! "Modern Ammo" does NOT have an expiration date. Some 50 cal BMG and 45ACP rounds were picked up off the ocean floor after the Battle of the Coral Sea in WWII (Pacific) about 50 years after the event and THEY shot fine as well. Saw that article in Guns & Ammo several years ago.
    I have a whole bunch of that stuff as well..... the GI Ball ammo works real well, but I find the colloectibility price of boxes of that stuff is going up. I also have tons of the 06 and 30 carbine in the WWII vintige.... it never goes bad, as far as I can see....I even got some stuff that was older than WWII in GI 45.......20 rnd boxes...now I'm never gonna shoot that for sure.......(not that it's bad ..but just collectible)
    I'm lookin fo add more to my Cache pretty soon... just loking for the deals.....I DI however, find some of that Winchester 147 gr subsonic 9 MM for 7 bucks a box.....from a Police Officer that was gonna trade it in for ammo at a local shop.I brought him outside and scooped it up <A full case of 1000. Should work real good in my MP5 SD

Enough I reload alot

Depends.

I usually keep a box or two of Hydra-Shok around for "social purposes," but stock up on what amounts to plinking ammunition before going to TDI for training. A 3-day course there will easily need 2000 rounds for myself and another 2000 for my wife.

Enough to fight a skirmish, but not a battle..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links