thoughts on the .357 Sig round?

This is a discussion on thoughts on the .357 Sig round? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 12 rounds of 147 gr Hornady TAP moving out at 1,225 fps......357 snubby for the new age. Impeccable accuracy, low recoil, and very fast followup ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: thoughts on the .357 Sig round?

12 rounds of 147 gr Hornady TAP moving out at 1,225 fps......357 snubby for the new age.
    Impeccable accuracy, low recoil, and very fast followup shots. Practice with a 9mm, and carry the .357SIG if you're worried about ammo cost. The effectiveness of the .357SIG as a defensive round is well documented.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

2. Remove Ads

The .357 sig shoots a frigging 124gr bullet in excess of 1350fps. I like it! tnoutdoors9 channel on youtube has a whole section on this caliber.

My brother has one, expensive to shoot and hard to find ammo for, gave him a 40 S&W barrel last Christmas for his SIG and he now shoots it all the time cause it is cheap to shoot and you can find ammo every where!!! I also bought him 100 rounds of 357SIG Ranger T's for Fathers Day today which he will keep for a while.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Pros and cons just like any other caliber IMO. I might give it one more for pro and that might be feeding reliability because of the case design......that's about it. Over the years I admit at being intrigued with the 357SIG, 45GAP and 10mm. I'm still an avid fan of shot placement and being able to do so with the basics. Marketing schemes sort of run off my back like a duck in the rain in the middle of a pond. I see little improvements in many ways. The only way to make up for a weakness is to work harder at being adept with what you have at the time. To want for something more than what you have only confuses the mind. Whatever works best for you should leave little doubts and little wants for something else. How far do you need to go? Can anything compensate for your weaknesses other than your own abilities?

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Pros and cons just like any other caliber IMO. I might give it one more for pro and that might be feeding reliability because of the case design......that's about it. Over the years I admit at being intrigued with the 357SIG, 45GAP and 10mm. I'm still an avid fan of shot placement and being able to do so with the basics. Marketing schemes sort of run off my back like a duck in the rain in the middle of a pond. I see little improvements in many ways. The only way to make up for a weakness is to work harder at being adept with what you have at the time. To want for something more than what you have only confuses the mind. Whatever works best for you should leave little doubts and little wants for something else. How far do you need to go? Can anything compensate for your weaknesses other than your own abilities?
    The .357sig round makes a 9mm bullet go faster than the 9mm round can make it go, therefore, in my mind it is not a marketing scheme. I have the ability to carry it ,so, in my opinion, me not carrying it would be my weakness.
    40Bob, Phaedrus and zonker1986 like this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Marketing schemes sort of run off my back like a duck in the rain in the middle of a pond. I see little improvements in many ways. The only way to make up for a weakness is to work harder at being adept with what you have at the time. To want for something more than what you have only confuses the mind. Whatever works best for you should leave little doubts and little wants for something else. How far do you need to go? Can anything compensate for your weaknesses other than your own abilities?
    appreciate the words of wisdom Ram Rod but was really looking for something more specific and useful pertaining to the .357 Sig round rather then your blind assesment of my weaknesses and/or abilities..

.357 SIG Federal HST Ammo Gel test - YouTube
    .357 SIG Remington Golden Saber Ammo Gel test - YouTube
    .357 SIG Winchester PDX1 Defender AMMO test - YouTube
    .357 SIG Speer Gold Dot Ammo test - YouTube

Looks pretty awesome to me.
    As for the cost of ammo, yes it does cost more and is not as easy to reload as a straight walled pistol case. BUT most .357 Sig guns can be converted to .40 caliber with only a barrel swap. The same goes for .40 to .357. You can use .40 for practice and .357 for carry. One real advantage of the bottleneck case is it has more reliable feeding since you aren't pushing the entire width of the round up the feed ramp from the magazine.

Lets just make it simple!! The .357sig was made to do one thing = the 125gr HP .357mag in a 4'' bl gun, that is does in a G32 & more in a G31. People gripe on so much but the 125gr .357mag is the only LE cal that has a 96% one shot stop record. This rd is growing fast in many states & LE, Mil, Gov use. The low end ammo = 480ftlb & high end = 550ftlb+ easy. The 9,40 & 45 can't but they all have their place because I have them all & they are great rds. The .357sig is the only one that comes close to the 10mm. It's a super high pro round & it's what I use with GDHP & it don't stop, glass, wall board, block, car doors, house walls & doors. If I ever have to use it on someone their is very little that they can hide behind that will stop this rd. That is what made the .357mag tha gun by witch all other hand guns are measured buy & the .357sig does it with more ammo in a faster gun.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I've been a "fan boy" of the 357Sig since Sig introduced it. Just thinking that this round chaps Gaston's ass is a bonus.
    multistage and hinkleid like this.

The saying "Fear No Evil" comes to mind when carry a pistol loaded with 16 or 14 rounds of .357SIG.
    A license holder must have faith in their own abilities and confidence in the weapon they carry.....
    and these provide confidence in spades. A Glock 31 or 32 is a formiddable weapon in trained hands.

AZJD1968 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Yes, I found the DT 147s to be sweet shooters in my gen 3 G33,

I can't wait to handle a gen 4 Glock 33, or a G31.

I've been impressed on how sweet the G22 and G19 gen 4s have felt so far.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

One other thing about the Sig cartridge that hasn't yet been mentioned- boy oh boy, is it loud! I have personally never shot one but have been around when one was being fired and it's quite the attention-getter. I don't know if it has a harsh muzzle flash, but it sure is loud.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    .357 SIG, when you really want the Range to yourself!

We start shooting .38s or 9mms and do OK.

The .357 SIGs come out and people start to scurry in a hurry!
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

I'm a fan & shooter of the .357 sig. So is the U.S. Air Marshal Service. If I were you, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in my opinion. I would, however, give careful consideration to the opinion of the U.S. Air Marshals. They're quite serious about these sorts of things.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Lot's of good 357Sig info here...

HandGunInfo.com: SIG357: Pete's 357 SIG Caliber Page
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links