Dirty Little Secret about Defensive Ammo at Retail Stores

This is a discussion on Dirty Little Secret about Defensive Ammo at Retail Stores within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by brookl089 What do retail stores and defensive ammo have in common? Small boxes of 20 or 25 rounds at $20 to $25 ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Dirty Little Secret about Defensive Ammo at Retail Stores

Quote Originally Posted by brookl089 View Post
    What do retail stores and defensive ammo have in common? Small boxes of 20 or 25 rounds at $20 to $25 a box depending on brand. Now, goto to a couple of the online vendors and what do you see? 50 round boxes at $27 a box with no sales tax. Yeah, there is a shipping charge but even after $10 for freight you still come out ahead by $28 if you buy a 100 rounds (2 boxes). I have 4 mags; two 15 rounders, one 17, and one 10 for a total of 57 rounds plus throw in a couple for the chamber and now 59! I'm a two box kinda guy.

Yep, Gold Dot, HST, Hydro Shok, Ranger, and PDX all come in "Big Kid" ammo boxes of 50 rounds in all of the popular bullet weights and +P. I use Ammunition Depot but I'm sure the other vendors are good too.

Buy ammo online and save money.
    Tell me where I can buy 50 round boxes of Gold Dots for $27 ???
    DefConGun likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by azretired View Post
    Sure, if we tell you then you will buy it all and we won't be able to get any......
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Dirty little secret, I make my own 45 and 9mm and get a box of 45 for around $8 for 50 rounds.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Actually were not so much against the calibers in a normal world,but unless you stockpile ammo,or reload and have plenty of brass if the supply chain is interrupted,unless you have guns in the common calibers 9,40,45 you probably won't find any ammo to feed your gun.Back in 2008 after the elections,people were begging for places to get 9mm,40,45 due to panic buying and hoarding,so if you have a caliber that isn't real common that will be the first ammo to disappear
    In 2008 one caliber I could walk into Wal-Mart and buy (not that I needed to*, but could have) was 357 SIG, all the "popular" calibers were gone.
    In 2008 one caliber I could walk into Gander MT and buy (not that I needed to*, but could have) was 45 GAP.

*Ammo is like toliet paper, if I'm alive I will eventually use it, so I might as well stay stocked up.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I wait until the Sportsmans Guide has their $4.99 flat shipping sale and then buy in bulk. Nothing like receiving a 37 pound box of assorted ammo for only $4.99 shipping!
    atctimmy likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

VIP Member
    Prices just went up, but for the last three years I was buying Gold Dots and HST at ammotogo for 24 to 27 bucks a box (50 count). The Speer and the Federal brands have now gone up to $34 a box (50 count). Winchester ranger is still lower. About 6 months ago I bought 8 boxes of 9mm ranger for $24 a box.

Recently I found .223 Federal Gold Medal Match ammo for 19 bucks a box. That price is unheard of so I bought 800 rds of it. They key is to shop hard and when you find a great deal buy it in bulk.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    In 2008 one caliber I could walk into Wal-Mart and buy (not that I needed to*, but could have) was 357 SIG, all the "popular" calibers were gone.
    In 2008 one caliber I could walk into Gander MT and buy (not that I needed to*, but could have) was 45 GAP.

*Ammo is like toliet paper, if I'm alive I will eventually use it, so I might as well stay stocked up.
    I could still get .40 cal at wally's during the shortage. 9mm and 45 could not be found.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Humm... This gives me an idea for a new TV game show, "I've Got a Secret"! As the World Turns, I have only One Life To Live, as I drive to the General Hospital during Days of My Lives?

Soap Box / OFF
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

50 rounds of 124+P Gold Dots for $26.
    HSTs are around $26 per box of 50.
    .40 caliber ammo is generally a few bucks more per box.
    Buy all of the ammo you need at once to save on shipping. I think it's usually $12 to ship smaller orders.
    I have all of the HSTs I desire so I'll show you the big secret everyone is keeping from you. Hopefully I won't be labeled as a domestic terrorist or traitor for sharing this extremely dangerous, top secret information with you.
    9mm / 9x19 | SGAmmo.com

Buying premium defense ammo in civilian packaging is for suckers.

Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    I thought that would be true but I've yet to find an online retailer that can deliver ammo to my front door at less than what I can get it -- with sales tax -- at WalMart. You find what look like good deals until they figure in shipping and "handling", whatever that is. A profit enhancer no doubt.
    Agreed. After shipping, the cost is about the same.

I use this guy for HST, but he carries GDs as well. Current prices look like $28 for 9mm, $29 for .40, and $31 for .45. He updates his site pretty regularly as his stock changes, so if you're looking for .357, keep checking back.

Tactical Defense Solutions LLC - Speer Gold Dot LEO

Don't know what shipping costs are - I pick it up local.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher10 View Post
    Buying premium defense ammo in civilian packaging is for suckers.
    That sounds like a slogan for an online ammo sales company.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Those small boxes are for the people that go shoot once every 2, 3, or more years. That is a large percent of gun owners too.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I never buy my SD ammo from a store. I did when I 1st got into guns but did some shopping around. Online is the best....
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Senior Moderator
    I dont buy anything of less than 500 rounds at a time.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links