Dirty Little Secret about Defensive Ammo at Retail Stores

This is a discussion on Dirty Little Secret about Defensive Ammo at Retail Stores within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do retail stores and defensive ammo have in common? Small boxes of 20 or 25 rounds at $20 to $25 a box depending on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Dirty Little Secret about Defensive Ammo at Retail Stores

What do retail stores and defensive ammo have in common? Small boxes of 20 or 25 rounds at $20 to $25 a box depending on brand. Now, goto to a couple of the online vendors and what do you see? 50 round boxes at $27 a box with no sales tax. Yeah, there is a shipping charge but even after $10 for freight you still come out ahead by $28 if you buy a 100 rounds (2 boxes). I have 4 mags; two 15 rounders, one 17, and one 10 for a total of 57 rounds plus throw in a couple for the chamber and now 59! I'm a two box kinda guy.

Yep, Gold Dot, HST, Hydro Shok, Ranger, and PDX all come in "Big Kid" ammo boxes of 50 rounds in all of the popular bullet weights and +P. I use Ammunition Depot but I'm sure the other vendors are good too.

Buy ammo online and save money.

Depending on the type/maker/caliber what you say is not entirely so.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Also depends on the store. My LGS is an LE distributor and has the 50 round boxes of Gold Dot and HST.

Dirty little secrets.....dirty little lies......bubble-headed bleach blonde comes on at five.......................
    Tell me things that you think I should know.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I think you are right about online ammo being a secret.
    Whenever 10mm or 357 Sig is discussed, there is nearly always someone that is against those calibers because they don't see the ammo on the shelf of their local store.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Actually it's not a "secret" to people that shoot a lot,people that shoot a 50 round box every 6 months to a year or less aren't gonna go looking for better prices and for the most part aren't members of gun boards like this.
    Runt likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Whenever 10mm or 357 Sig is discussed, there is nearly always someone that is against those calibers because they don't see the ammo on the shelf of their local store.
    Actually were not so much against the calibers in a normal world,but unless you stockpile ammo,or reload and have plenty of brass if the supply chain is interrupted,unless you have guns in the common calibers 9,40,45 you probably won't find any ammo to feed your gun.Back in 2008 after the elections,people were begging for places to get 9mm,40,45 due to panic buying and hoarding,so if you have a caliber that isn't real common that will be the first ammo to disappear
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Being in my profession,I can put my hand in the cookie jar for freeeeeee...

I thought that would be true but I've yet to find an online retailer that can deliver ammo to my front door at less than what I can get it -- with sales tax -- at WalMart. You find what look like good deals until they figure in shipping and "handling", whatever that is. A profit enhancer no doubt.
    10thmtn and barstoolguru like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    This people just don't know what they are talking about. Where I live, I have NOT been to a retail store that didn't have some type of 10mil ammo.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    It's true for defensive ammunition, if not exactly a secret. Not many stores in my area get my preferred LE-overrun ammo, and the Gander Mountain that does carry defensive ammunition doesn't carry my ammo of choice, and what they do have comes in the standard 20 round box.

So I buy 50-round LE boxes from ammunitiontogo.

But practice ammo is not cheaper online, usually. Granted, it usually takes as long for me to find a person in Wal-Mart who knows where the Sporting Goods security key is as it does to wait for shipping from an online retailer...
    baren and pattywak like this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Actually were not so much against the calibers in a normal world,but unless you stockpile ammo,or reload and have plenty of brass if the supply chain is interrupted,unless you have guns in the common calibers 9,40,45 you probably won't find any ammo to feed your gun.Back in 2008 after the elections,people were begging for places to get 9mm,40,45 due to panic buying and hoarding,so if you have a caliber that isn't real common that will be the first ammo to disappear
    And it a SHTF situation with the Internet down and long distance transportation interrupted how are you going to get those oddball ammo calibers? Stockpiling is your only viable solution for any caliber.

It's all relative. Some ammo is cheaper online, some isn't.

I have yet to find any .17 HMR cheaper online than what I can get it for locally.

Seems like a hit or miss, I just watch for good deals whether online, or local store.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    atctimmy likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I don't know what that the OP considers a secret but it's well known that there is "retail" packaging which are 20 round boxes and LE / Agency packaging which are 50 round boxes in regards to most issued ammunition....all comes down to supply and demand. Most people goto the LGS, buy one or two boxes of ammo, load it in a magazine, maybe a second magazine, put it in the nightstand drawer and never touch it. So if they can sell them 20 rounds for the price of 50, they are none the wiser and sleep well knowing that they have the best super duper bad guy ammo that exists.
    Do your due diligence and evaluate the cost per round, with shipping and handling charges included.

Sent from this... Using that...

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Why is it that so many people these days need to sell their point of view with the "secrets" label?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links