Corbon?

This is a discussion on Corbon? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone know if Corbon makes their own bullets? If not, the supplier? I am looking at them and Double Tap for .357 Sig. Caliber: 357 ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gunsmoke16

Thread: Corbon?

Corbon?

Anyone know if Corbon makes their own bullets? If not, the supplier? I am looking at them and Double Tap for .357 Sig.

Caliber: 357 Sig
    Bullet Wt.: 115gr CORBON Self-Defense JHP
    Velocity: 1500fps
    Energy: 575ftlbs
    test Barrel Length: 4.0 Inches

Caliber: 357 Sig
    Bullet Wt.: 125gr CORBON Self-Defense JHP
    Velocity: 1425fps
    Energy: 564ftlbs
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

2. Remove Ads

to the best of my knowledge, Cor Bon has NOT made their own bullets. i'm not sure about the 357Sig bullets you referenced, but at least at one time, they used Sierra bullets in their 9mm, 115 grain +P loading, and i think in their .40S&W 135 grain cartridges. i recommend you just contact Cor Bon directly. i would guess that they'd be happy to tell you.

my comments are based on Cor Bon before they were bought by Federal (?), and may not be correct for their current production.

Corbon uses components from various manufacturers, I am not aware of them manufacturing any specific component. Their brass is made for them by Starline which is the *-* headstamp you will see from time to time when it doesn't say Corbon

Sent from this... Using that...

I suppose I will contact them. Hopefully it is not one of those robot menus I despise. Just thought knowledgeable people here may know.

If these were Gold Dots I would be all over them! :) I have a love for Speer, and like to support a company from my state.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Glock 33

I prefer Hornady. They work.
    hinkleid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    I prefer Hornady. They work.
    I Hornady stuff too. I have done a lot of reloading for rifle and like Hornady, Nosler, Speer, and Swift. Sierra though, just have a few and consider them "generic". That is why I was not sure on the bullet.

So I call Corbon, and answered right away. Then put on hold for 10 minutes while he checked, and they manufacture their own bullets in these rounds. Not sure on "Corbon" bullets either.

I agree with the Hornady. If it would be wise or could get away with brewing your own, get a Hornady XTP bullet or a Gold Dot, and some Starline brass. Then make a stiff load.

That is basically what Double Tap does is it not? Load their own...

May have to go down in the velocity to get a "proven" bullet, (Ranger, HST, LE Gold Dots).
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Glock 33

I wrote an email to Corbon asking them about the jhp they manufacture and replaced the Sierra jhp they used to use in this loading. This is what Mike Shovel told me.

"Our 125 gr JHP loading in 357 Sig is a devastating self defense round. *I would carry it with no qualms at all.

The new bullet that we are making will hold together better than the old Sierra JHP we used while still providing the explosive expansion we got with the old bullet.

Thanks and glad we could help with your situation,

Mike Shovel
    National Sales Manager
    CORBON/Glaser
    412-496-0428"

And since I don't see many tests for these rounds on the net... I also inquired about any testing results on their 357sig rounds and these are what I was told there last results were...

"Here's the results we got using properly prepared 10% ballistic gelatin with a 4 layer denim barrier in front of it.*
    Stretch cavities vary from the type of projectile used as well as velocity.* From our*PowRball line and the 115*gr JHP, the stretch cavities are large and almost round in shape.* With the*DPX and 125*gr JHP, they are shaped more like a football in that they are longer as well as very wide.
    Caliber******************************************* *depth of penetration*************************************** **** recovered diameter
    357 Sig 115*gr**JHP*************************************** ******* 12”*********************************************** ************************** .62”
    357 Sig – 125*gr*JHP**************************************** *** 14”*********************************************** ************************** .74”
    357 Sig – 100*gr**PowRball********************************** * 9”************************************************ *************************** .61"
    357 Sig – 125*gr**DPX*************************************** * 17”*********************************************** ************************** .64

Mike Shovel"

Last edited by Rawah; October 3rd, 2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Added data

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    When in doubt and you want the best stopping power for the .357 SIG on record: Gold Dot@ 1,375 fps, not the slower load.
    Need more power and a bit more accuracy(for some): Double Tap Bonded Defense-using the same Gold Dot bullet.

More velocity and a bullet that recoils less, drives deeper and expands every time with no issues of jacket/core
    separation: DT 125 gr. TAC-XP.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Have you looked at Underwood Ammo?
    --Jason--

I think Cor-bon's DPX line is about as good as it gets, but is rather spendy; the same rounds using the Barnes Tac-X bullets can be found in other ammo lines for considerably cheaper.

As far as their conventional JHP? Overpriced for what you get; I'd rather run with the usual big-three (Gold Dot, HST, Ranger-T) for less money.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Links