Combat Effectiveness of the .44 Special? - Page 4

Combat Effectiveness of the .44 Special?

This is a discussion on Combat Effectiveness of the .44 Special? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My pair of "too obsolete for combat" wheel guns. Mod 629 3" and Mod 625 .45ACP...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Combat Effectiveness of the .44 Special?

Combat Effectiveness of the .44 Special?-s-w-model-629-.44-magnum-.jpgCombat Effectiveness of the .44 Special?-s-w-model-625-.45acp-model-1989-b-.jpgMy pair of "too obsolete for combat" wheel guns. Mod 629 3" and Mod 625 .45ACP
    wmhawth, bmcgilvray and Recon1342 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RAC55 View Post
    As for the 44 special revolver, or any large bore revolver being an effective combat weapon...I wouldn't want to argue with Jerry Miculek or Ed McGivern over that fact. It all boils down to what firearm you are comfortable and practiced with that will give you the edge in a combat situation.
    Their experience in combat using the .44 Special cartridge fired from a revolver is what, please? Where? When? How many casualties did each of them inflict on the enemy using the .44 Special cartridge fired from a revolver?

I suspect we have fallen into the Logical Fallacy of the Non Sequitur or the Logical Fallacy of Appeal to Authority.

Marcclarke: I suggest that you put your question into proper context and period. For comparison, how many 'military combat' casualties has the .357 caused ? I would reccomend hat you get the book By Col J.Hatcher in which he goes into detail on the many tests, and why the 1911 Colt was adapted. Remember, they also had a .45 ACP Luger. included in the testing.

Don Jose de La Macha

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tayopo View Post
    Marcclarke: I suggest that you put your question into proper context and period. For comparison, how many 'military combat' casualties has the .357 caused ? I would reccomend hat you get the book By Col J.Hatcher in which he goes into detail on the many tests, and why the 1911 Colt was adapted. Remember, they also had a .45 ACP Luger. included in the testing.

Don Jose de La Macha
    LOL you bring up a very good point. By restricting yourself to military combat causalities wouldn't we have to conclude that the 9mm is the most effective round in existence?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Their experience in combat using the .44 Special cartridge fired from a revolver is what, please? Where? When? How many casualties did each of them inflict on the enemy using the .44 Special cartridge fired from a revolver?

I suspect we have fallen into the Logical Fallacy of the Non Sequitur or the Logical Fallacy of Appeal to Authority.
    And you are Logical Fallacies» Begging the Question / Circular Reasoning

A combat scenario doesn't always apply only to a battlefield. When civilians or police officers get into gunfights, you don't consider that combat? The .44 caliber round in all it's variations has been a proven man stopper whether it's out of a .44 magnum or special on the streets, the .44-40 in the single actions in the old west, or the .44 cap and ball revolvers during the civil war. I used the examples of Jerry Miculek and Ed McGivern as exemplary in the handling, shooting, and reloading of revolvers at world record levels. These are guys that can put a lot of powerful, accurate rounds on target in a shorter amount of time with revolvers than you or I could do with a wondernine. It's not only because of the firearms, rounds, or ballistics. It's mostly because these guys knew their equipment to a degree that we have not obviously achieved. You have completely missed the whole context of this thread as evidenced by your question on their "war experience"
    Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post

Last edited by RAC55; October 10th, 2012 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I have carried a 44 spcl Charter Arms revolver many times when my desired clothing did not go well with my 1911. My dream is that Ruger would come out with a little all steel snubbie in 44 special. A five shot SP 101 in 44 spcl maybe.

Michael
    I know I'm waking up a old thread, but your in luck. Ruger GP100 in 44 special is now available, 5 round capacity, 3" barrel, comes with a hogue tamer grip, and a non-fluted cylinder. Looks great, and I'm sure shoots nice to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Combat Effectiveness of the .44 Special?-image.jpeg

The 44 Special... Will git'er done !

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    For the handloader, 7.5 grns of Unique will yield about 900 fps, or 16 grns of 2400 will launch a 250 weight Keith style bullet at some 1200 fps +\- depending on barrel length and components used.

That's some Bigfoot smack'in fun without wrist torquing recoil.

Hell, I even small game hunt with it. Load a lrn bullet to 600 fps and it doesn't tear up squirrels or rabbits at all. ( avoid shoulder hits though). You can even load a lead round ball instead of a bullet for this type of use.

Mild to wild, it's got it all!
    That's real close to my mid-range load for my 44 mag. I run about 8.3 to 8.5 grains of Unique behind 245 grain pill.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I hate 44's...... I only have 5 of them.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

Is a .44-40 from 1919 close enough?

Combat Effectiveness of the .44 Special?-1919-colt-1024x576-2017_01_22-17_26_42-utc-.jpg
    Bad Bob, SatCong, OldVet and 2 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Is a .44-40 from 1919 close enough?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1919 Colt (1024x576) (2017_01_22 17_26_42 UTC).jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	191417
    Ouch! That would leave a mark.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon at large.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    I saw the title of this thread and thought that sounded like something I would ask, and I guess I did...

Combat effectiveness of the .44?

{0.429 / 0.452} X 100 = 95%

Approximately 95% as effective as a 45 ACP, all else being approximately equal.

Combat Effectiveness of the .44 Special?-img_20170522_070716460.jpg

These will do.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links