Combat Effectiveness of the .44 Special?

This is a discussion on Combat Effectiveness of the .44 Special? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; S&W Model 629 .44 Magnum (a).jpg S&W Model 625 .45acp Model of 1989 (b).jpg My pair of "too obsolete for combat" wheel guns. Mod 629 ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Combat Effectiveness of the .44 Special?

S&W Model 629 .44 Magnum (a).jpgS&W Model 625 .45acp Model of 1989 (b).jpgMy pair of "too obsolete for combat" wheel guns. Mod 629 3" and Mod 625 .45ACP
    wmhawth and bmcgilvray like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by RAC55 View Post
    As for the 44 special revolver, or any large bore revolver being an effective combat weapon...I wouldn't want to argue with Jerry Miculek or Ed McGivern over that fact. It all boils down to what firearm you are comfortable and practiced with that will give you the edge in a combat situation.
    Their experience in combat using the .44 Special cartridge fired from a revolver is what, please? Where? When? How many casualties did each of them inflict on the enemy using the .44 Special cartridge fired from a revolver?

I suspect we have fallen into the Logical Fallacy of the Non Sequitur or the Logical Fallacy of Appeal to Authority.

Marcclarke: I suggest that you put your question into proper context and period. For comparison, how many 'military combat' casualties has the .357 caused ? I would reccomend hat you get the book By Col J.Hatcher in which he goes into detail on the many tests, and why the 1911 Colt was adapted. Remember, they also had a .45 ACP Luger. included in the testing.

Don Jose de La Macha

Quote Originally Posted by Tayopo View Post
    Marcclarke: I suggest that you put your question into proper context and period. For comparison, how many 'military combat' casualties has the .357 caused ? I would reccomend hat you get the book By Col J.Hatcher in which he goes into detail on the many tests, and why the 1911 Colt was adapted. Remember, they also had a .45 ACP Luger. included in the testing.

Don Jose de La Macha
    LOL you bring up a very good point. By restricting yourself to military combat causalities wouldn't we have to conclude that the 9mm is the most effective round in existence?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Their experience in combat using the .44 Special cartridge fired from a revolver is what, please? Where? When? How many casualties did each of them inflict on the enemy using the .44 Special cartridge fired from a revolver?

I suspect we have fallen into the Logical Fallacy of the Non Sequitur or the Logical Fallacy of Appeal to Authority.
    And you are Logical Fallacies» Begging the Question / Circular Reasoning

A combat scenario doesn't always apply only to a battlefield. When civilians or police officers get into gunfights, you don't consider that combat? The .44 caliber round in all it's variations has been a proven man stopper whether it's out of a .44 magnum or special on the streets, the .44-40 in the single actions in the old west, or the .44 cap and ball revolvers during the civil war. I used the examples of Jerry Miculek and Ed McGivern as exemplary in the handling, shooting, and reloading of revolvers at world record levels. These are guys that can put a lot of powerful, accurate rounds on target in a shorter amount of time with revolvers than you or I could do with a wondernine. It's not only because of the firearms, rounds, or ballistics. It's mostly because these guys knew their equipment to a degree that we have not obviously achieved. You have completely missed the whole context of this thread as evidenced by your question on their "war experience"
    Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post

Last edited by RAC55; October 10th, 2012 at 05:13 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links