Need a little advice on a reloading press

This is a discussion on Need a little advice on a reloading press within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys, I'm finally going to take the plunge and buy a press. I've been watching everyones sale flyers for several months. I've finally saved enough ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Need a little advice on a reloading press

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar

Guys, I'm finally going to take the plunge and buy a press.
    I've been watching everyones sale flyers for several months.
    I've finally saved enough to do it.
    I'm looking at the Hornady "Lock and Load Kit" for $259 and includes 500 free bullets. Price good through the end of the month.
    Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Kit

I guess my question is...is the the deal it appears to be? or should I keep watching and waiting?
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Not a bad way to get started. I am not a big fan of Hornady loading equipment. I do however like their bullets and ammo. I like the RCBS for a single stage or just bite the bullet ( sort of speak )and get a Dillion. The single stage system is great to learn on. I run all my pistol ammo on the 550 Dillion and my "Match" rifle on my RCBS. You will want to upgrade the scale on the kit to an electric. As far as the price I like Midway USA and found good, fair prices from them. Yes if you keep looking and wait somebody will be less but "Daylight" is burning, get a press and start using it.

I second the idea of a Dillion 550. Perhaps you can find one used for considerably less than new. The RCBS or similar is fine if you are loading precision ammo or learning, but ultimately you will want a progressive to speed things up unless you just don't shoot much.

Go with the majoriit! I also use a DIllon for hand gun relaods. I use a single stage for my precision long guns

I used to do a lot of IPSC shooting in .45 ACP, probably fired 5,000+ rounds per year. Very quickly, I learned the value of a progressive press. Even if you don't shoot anywhere near that amount of ammo, I would have to recommend a progressive style press - unless you only plan on reloading 50 or 100 per year. Anyway, that's JMHO.

But I think most will agree to this statement: reloading on a single-stage setup gets old VERY QUICKLY!!!

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Lee is good equipment ,,,, I have been using Lee for many years with NO PROBLEMS.

Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit

Hornady & Dillion are very good,,,, I could not justify the cost since I only load a two to four hundred rounds
    at the time. You could use the difference in cost to buy other items you will need such as dies, caliper, powder
    bullets etc.

Once you get set up and in the groove you can turn out quite a bit of ammo with a single stage press. I want a Dillon and will get one soon, but starting on a single gives you the basics of reloading.

I don't disagree with Mr.Buckwheat about the electric scale, but starting out with a beam teaches basics. I love my Frankford Arsenal electric scale, but still check it against the old reliable RCBS beam. The best advice I can give is to get a hand primming tool. I use a Lee, but they all work. A lot less bad seated primmers and easier on "baby boomer" eyes. Don't know how I got anything done with out it.

The absolute best time I have in the shooting sport hobby is being out in the gun shed, with a big iced tea, the 70's 80s radio on, and working on loading a box or two. Its a great way to enjoy an evening before going to the range.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

I have the Hornady progressive press (Lock n Load AP) and it's a fine machine, with good customer support and warranty, just like the Blue brand. I don't think you'll go wrong with their single-stage press, and the price is right.

Make sure you set funds aside for dies and other accessories. One item you might want to get early is the stand for the powder measure, so you can charge cases at bench level and not below. The rest of the stuff you'll figure out as you along.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I have the Hornady progressive press (Lock n Load AP) and it's a fine machine, with good customer support and warranty, just like the Blue brand. I don't think you'll go wrong with their single-stage press, and the price is right.

Make sure you set funds aside for dies and other accessories. One item you might want to get early is the stand for the powder measure, so you can charge cases at bench level and not below. The rest of the stuff you'll figure out as you along.
    Same here and I really like it. There are a lot of people here that have had way more experience than I have reloading and there may be better presses out there as to their opinion but I'm very happy with mine so far.

Add to the list as you will but also don't forget the other stuff that gasmitty is talking about, like:

Good digital caliper
    Bullet puller
    Extra Lock N Load bushings
    Brass prep tools
    Powder scale...

Nevermind, the list is very long but the investment is worth it in the long run and very rewarding to shoot ammo that you're made custom to what you like to shoot.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

What are you planning on reloading? That makes a huge difference in what press is best. For instance with some of the cartridges I reload for nothing but a large heavy O frame press will fit the bill. There is a reason that many of us have more than one press.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Guys, I'm finally going to take the plunge and buy a press.
    I've been watching everyones sale flyers for several months.
    I've finally saved enough to do it.
    I'm looking at the Hornady "Lock and Load Kit" for $259 and includes 500 free bullets. Price good through the end of the month.
    Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Kit

I guess my question is...is the the deal it appears to be? or should I keep watching and waiting?
    The "brown truck" delivered mine about 2 hours ago! I'm looking forward to it. I ordered mine through Midway at that price too.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    thanks for the post i'm planing my reload in the fall once school is over need a BA to get promoted 3 associates are not good enough
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Lead Moderator
    A single stage is a good learner press. Or you can get a progressive and single load till you get the feel for reloading. I did this with a 550 b and it worked out well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    What are you planning on reloading? That makes a huge difference in what press is best. For instance with some of the cartridges I reload for nothing but a large heavy O frame press will fit the bill. There is a reason that many of us have more than one press.

Michael
    Right now I'll be reloading .223 and 25.06 in the rifle calibers and .38 for handgun.
    I shoot more 9mm than anything, but I'm buying them for $189 per thousand...I don't know if I can save enough reloading them to make it worthwhile???
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm new to reloading as well. I jumped in head first and bought a Dillon 550b and a single stage and other stuff at the same time for around $1000.00. A progrssive is not all the hard to run for a newbie(single stage is for cast bullet sizing). Two things you need to think about are how much is you time worth and reloading will not save you money because you just shoot more.(at least I do). I just do not have the time to spend all weekend to produce 500 rounds, I much rather spen 3 hours reloading and the rest of my time shooting or with family. Since starting to reload I joined the IDPA, practice weekly and shoot a match monthly. 100 rounds a week practice plus 100 to 200 a matc,h so for me that's around 500 rounds a month min. Oh yea forgot I only shoot .45acp.

My 0.02,
    Chris
    Proud IDPA Member

"Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid." ― John Wayne

"Necessity of action takes away the fear of the act, and makes bold resolution the favorite of fortune." -Francis Quarles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links