Which .38 Special..Buffalo Bore or Speer Gold Dot?

This is a discussion on Which .38 Special..Buffalo Bore or Speer Gold Dot? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have any opinions or facts on which one of these rounds they think would be better to use out of a S&W 642? ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nedrgr21
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By Ljutic

Thread: Which .38 Special..Buffalo Bore or Speer Gold Dot?

Which .38 Special..Buffalo Bore or Speer Gold Dot?

Does anyone have any opinions or facts on which one of these rounds they think would be better to use out of a S&W 642? I'm trying to find the best defensive load for carry.

Heavy .38 Special +P Pistol and Handgun Ammo
    Heavy .38 Special +P Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Pistol and Handgun Ammo
    Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

38 SPL +P BUFFALO-BARNES LEAD FREE, Short-Barrel, Low-Flash
    38 Special +P LEAD FREE BARNES Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

Or the .38 Special +P 135Grain Speer Gold Dot?
    http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/short_brl.aspx

Thanks for the opinions.

2. Remove Ads

All I can contribute is I shot a deer with a TSX bullet and those copper hollowpoints open fast and sharp and tear stuff up. Don't know if anyone's done any testing on how they do after passing thru clothing. The GD load seems to lose too much energy in a snubbie. I'd see which you like shooting best out of the Barnes load and the Heavy load and look for performance through clothing on the Barnes load.
    hogdoc357 likes this.

Lots of folks swear by the Speer Gold Dot 135 grain load. I've not shot any over the chronograph but ought to do so.

The heavy .38 Special +P 158 grain load is everything it's cracked up to be by the company. It will get the relatively heavy bullet well beyond 1000 fps from a 2-inch barrel. Recoil would be brisk from a lightweight Model 642.

I've not tried either of the other Buffalo Bore bullets but the factory is showing the standard pressure 158 grain bullet to be fully equal to +P 158 grain loadings from other companies. Recoil will still be enthusiastic from the Model 642 but more tolerable. I've not tried the lead free offering but am not a huge fan of lighter bullet weights for the .38 Special.

I keep both Remington and Winchester +P158 grain lead SWC ammunition on hand for use in all .38 Special revolvers carried for personal defense, no matter the barrel length and also handload to achieve similar performance with a 158 grain bullet.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; June 23rd, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

sgb
    135Grain Speer Gold Dot

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

.38spl/.357mag

Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P (53921), specially designed for snubnose guns.

-----Penetration -----Recovered Diameter -----Recovered Weight
    Bare Gelatin 13.1" ------------0.56" -------------134.5gr
    4-layer denim 13.6" ----------0.53" -------------134.1gr
    Auto windshield 9.4" ----------0.51" -------------129.6gr

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

GOLDDOTS hands down... its a darn good brand and has a proven track record...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Here are some ballistics results from the Barnes copper bullet. So you could apply this to Buffalo Bore and Carbon DPX copper bullets.
    Attached Files
    Byron
    "HogDoc"

When I carry a revolver, I put my trust in these. Pocket Guns and Gear: Remington 38 Special +P 158 Grain LHP Denim and Gel test It only took me about 20 years to actually test them and find out the old salts were right about this load.
    hogdoc357 likes this.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by hogdoc357 View Post
    Here are some ballistics results from the Barnes copper bullet. So you could apply this to Buffalo Bore and Carbon DPX copper bullets.
    Very Interesting
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Save your money. A good lswc at +p or standard velocity loadings are all thats needed. And will work with more consistant performance.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Save your money. A good lswc at +p or standard velocity loadings are all thats needed. And will work with more consistant performance.
    With a 38 this is as good as it gets.

Links