Any experience with the Buffalo Bore .38 Special 150 gr hard cast wadcutter?

This is a discussion on Any experience with the Buffalo Bore .38 Special 150 gr hard cast wadcutter? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have any experience (chrono, penetration, ballistics, etc) with the Buffalo Bore .38 Special 150 gr. Hard Cast Wad Cutter? (Especially out of a ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By Tayopo

Thread: Any experience with the Buffalo Bore .38 Special 150 gr hard cast wadcutter?

Any experience with the Buffalo Bore .38 Special 150 gr hard cast wadcutter?

Does anyone have any experience (chrono, penetration, ballistics, etc) with the Buffalo Bore .38 Special 150 gr. Hard Cast Wad Cutter?
    (Especially out of a 2 in snub).

Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Pistol & Handgun Ammunition
    Byron
    "HogDoc"

2. Remove Ads

No but I've used similar handloads over the years that achieved much the same velocity from a 4-inch barrel to lay waste to Texas critters of various sizes and it thumps hard and cores out a neat .38 hole that leaks blood well. It has good through-and-through penetration too.

That Buffalo Bore load couldn't help but do the same.
    hogdoc357 likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Bmcxxxxx I agree 100 %. full wadcutters for the ,38 spec, semi wadcutters for the .357. Better than hollow points in that their performance is consistant.

Don Jose de La Mancha
    "I exist to Live, not live to exist"
    hogdoc357 likes this.

The benefit you are getting from the BB load is that its hardcast vs swaged lead. It should penetrate a little better, I would like to see velocity up around 1k.

I had a friend that was shot with a 38 WC and have seen numerous inner city dwellers shot with the same thing. As far as gunshot wounds go they are not that damaging.

My friend was hit 2" below his vest on the left hip. Said it hurt like the dickens, he was able to reload (after pumping 6 maggies into the BG that shot him). The slug hit his pelvis and stopped, we did not know till the ambulance got there that it had nicked his femoral artery and was blessed to have survived.

G'evening 40BOBz; coffee naturally. What you posted is quite correct. but from actual field work, I have found that the LSWC are consistant and keep going on and on, whereas a hollow point that does not expand, just leaves just a small hole. I agree when it works, a hollow point it is more satisfactory, but I prefer the consistant results of a LSWC for all ranges.

Don Jose de La Mancha

A full wadcutter and semi wadcutter are vastly different. I'll take the swc over any design for the 38spl anyway and twice on Sunday.

The beautiful thing about the swc, is it doesn't really need to be loaded hot to work well. A good 850fps does it well, and is consistent.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    A full wadcutter and semi wadcutter are vastly different. I'll take the swc over any design for the 38spl anyway and twice on Sunday.

The beautiful thing about the swc, is it doesn't really need to be loaded hot to work well. A good 850fps does it well, and is consistent.
    Absolutely! I think the penetration has to do with the meplate, that is the magic with the Keith SWC design. I really like the FBI 38 +P 158 LSWC load.

Administrator
    Buffalo Bore - The posted velocities on the B.B. website are actual readings from the specified firearms. They do not use "test" barrels.

Here ya go... a. S&W mod. 60, 2 inch barrel - 868 fps (251 ft. lbs.)

Yep, and QKShooter's post shows Buffalo Bore velocity performance that is equal to the best "Fedingchester" +P 158 grain factory loadings. No mean accomplishment for the Buffalo Bore people to create a standard velocity load that does that.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links