12 g. bird shot for SD; meat test by gunblast.com/Jeff Quinn - Page 4

12 g. bird shot for SD; meat test by gunblast.com/Jeff Quinn

This is a discussion on 12 g. bird shot for SD; meat test by gunblast.com/Jeff Quinn within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It boggles the brain the number of people that think ammunition designed to drop 1 to 5 lb birds is acceptable to use against a ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: 12 g. bird shot for SD; meat test by gunblast.com/Jeff Quinn

sgb
    It boggles the brain the number of people that think ammunition designed to drop 1 to 5 lb birds is acceptable to use against a 200lb human. Common sense apparently isn't so common.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Google "Goober smoochers"

The best argument for gun control!

Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    The size load I was talking about is a duck/goose load..pellet size is BB, the image is from Shotgun World article, a Remington Express load. The actual load I use is the Hypersonic.
    Attachment 60364
    Big difference between #7 shot and BB's, big difference. I wouldn't really classify BB's as birdshot.

Senior Moderator
    Bird shot is great if your home is invaded by a flock of starlings

But for bigger critters I would perfer Buckshot. I like #4, #1 and 00 buck for my shottie, currently I have #4 loaded.
    You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by greyeyezz View Post
    Big difference between #7 shot and BB's, big difference. I wouldn't really classify BB's as birdshot.

They're designed to kill larger birds ............... that makes them bird shot.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    He said over and over again that the spread at SD distances between buckshot and birdshot was almost the same, so if the spread is about the same, why the heck would you pick birdshot over buckshot!?
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I think this whole birdshot/buckshot thing is overthought. I agree that 00 buck is a much much better manstopper/killer. I also think that birdshot is going to get pretty much anyone out of my house in a hurry, with less risk of going thru the walls and hitting my family.

I could go with the best/proven manstoppers (ie. slugs, 000 or 00 buck) for home defense, but they are not the best choice for my family. I feel very safe w/ birdshot in the home defense shotty.

If Im going to the OK corral and I know there is gonna be a shootout, Ill load the 00 buck.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

#4 buck is what I use........................

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links