Remington 125 SJHP Chronied from a 3" snubby (and other loads)

This is a discussion on Remington 125 SJHP Chronied from a 3" snubby (and other loads) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took the time the other day to Chronograph some 357 loads yesterday from my 2.75" ruger speed six with the main goal of verifying ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By R.W.Dale
  • 1 Post By R.W.Dale

Thread: Remington 125 SJHP Chronied from a 3" snubby (and other loads)

Remington 125 SJHP Chronied from a 3" snubby (and other loads)

I took the time the other day to Chronograph some 357 loads yesterday from my 2.75" ruger speed six with the main goal of verifying what I'd been reading about Remington's 125 g sjhp load.

As it turns out this is indeed a full boogie load and a far cry from most of the milktoast 38+p++ 357 defense loads you get today.

The rem umc averaged 1330 fps grouped well @ 7yds double action. Blast is quite attention getting though!

Next up was Remington's mid level 125 g golden saber. These averaged 1215 fps and not surprisingly were pretty mellow to shoot.

Lastly for fun was hornady's 140 grain leverevolution. This load was good for 1227 fps

These results have led me to forgo the $30 a box of 20 super special bonded unobtanium SD loads and adopt the old school but very tried n true sjhp. Mainly because I can get these in a fairly reliable fashion ($45 per 100 at wal mart) in quantities that I can actually practice with.

Ill add to this database as I test out more 357 loads in the future.
    bmcgilvray, NH_Esau and 40Bob like this.

2. Remove Ads

Excellent work, and thank you.

That coincides with my testing a few years back when I had a chrony available. The 145 STHP came out of my 1 7/8" 640 at 1250 FPS and the 125 Winchester were in the 1350 fps range. And as you said it just flat out smokes any 38 special load. I would be interested to know what 125 DPX does from a snubby. The old school loads worked 20 years ago, they still work today.

The 357 magnum is an awesome cartridge, it just takes practice and dedication to effectively use a snubby.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Excellent work, and thank you.

That coincides with my testing a few years back when I had a chrony available. The 145 STHP came out of my 1 7/8" 640 at 1250 FPS and the 125 Winchester were in the 1350 fps range. And as you said it just flat out smokes any 38 special load. I would be interested to know what 125 DPX does from a snubby. The old school loads worked 20 years ago, they still work today.

The 357 magnum is an awesome cartridge, it just takes practice and dedication to effectively use a snubby.
    That's what I have always said,"Practice". I have been shooting 357 for years. Since I started shooting my LCR357, that's all I want to shoot. I bought 2000 rounds of PMC 125G. JHP. I don't think there is a bad 357 round.

I am the same way with my 640 Pro, Awesome lil gun. Evan Marshall says its hard to find a bad hollow point in 357 Magnum.

UPDATE:

I chronied some more of the 125 sjhp ammo from the first post only this time from a 5" s&w m60

These things rock from a longer barrel. The 5 shot string went as follows

1540,1516,1545,1571,1557 feet per second!

This pushes over 650 ft lbs from a 125g bullet.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

That is some serious velocity. It would probably fragment pretty bad.

I recall seeing these bullets pull under recoil when I was working at a range a few years ago. I'm a big fan of them and load those or the equvilant from Federal in my K and N frame Smiths, but I check new boxes for a good crimp now.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Links