A poll, which .380 ACP round would you go with?

This is a discussion on A poll, which .380 ACP round would you go with? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 357and40 Winchester Ranger t-series bonded is the same thing but half the price for twice the number of rounds. Doesn't have the ...

View Poll Results: Which .380 ACP round would you go with?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • Round Nose FMJ

11 7.10%
  • Flat Nose FMJ

21 13.55%
  • Remington Golden Saber

13 8.39%
  • Hornady Critical Defense

44 28.39%
  • Federal Hydra-Shok

18 11.61%
  • Speer Gold Dot

31 20.00%
  • Winchester PDX1

11 7.10%
  • Winchester Ranger T

6 3.87%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: A poll, which .380 ACP round would you go with?

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Winchester Ranger t-series bonded is the same thing but half the price for twice the number of rounds.
    Doesn't have the cool box though. I'd have to redo the whole closet.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Here's the testing I referenced, into calibrated gel with 2 layers of denim:

GoldenLoki.com
    Good link. I stand by my choice of Speer GDHP. If you want the penetration of FMJ, but want to avoid the controversy of carrying FMJ, carry 102gr Golden Sabers.
    lol
    stancehold likes this.

Well I really kind of had my heart set on the Flat nose FMJ, with the Hydra-Shok coming in a close second.

Bought a .380 today and all the fun store had in a good defensive round for the .380 IMO was either round nose FMJ or Hydra-Shok's.

So the box of Hydra-Shok's it is until a place an order online I can throw some flat noses in with.

VIP Member
    I have been shooting some .380 ammo into stuff just to see how the ammo I can buy locally
    works when compared to each other in the same material.

I just use water jugs, bundles of pine planks, and dry magazine bundles; all stuff I can carry on
    a bicycle to the shooting location.

I shot WWB and Federal FMJ. In SD ammo I shot golden Saber, PDX1, and zombie [zombie is really the
    same as critical defense]

The best penetration was from GS followed by zombie-----3" in wood & 15/16" in the magazines.
    With the water jug, zombie made the biggest splash and most dramatic jug upset.

The FMJ was ho hum with the WWB the best.

So I voted for critical defense.

I'm not under the illusion that .380 is powerful, but, it is better than nothing.

Gold Dots and PDX1's. I had trouble getting the HCD to feed reliably in my LCP.

95 gr flat nose because it works.
    may not sound cool but will get the job done at any range you would be using a SD weapon

I use the Gold Dots JHP, for expansion, because my .380 is my up close & personal, last resort, get off me personal deterrent.
    Do not believe .380 is sufficient for use as an EDC. There are too many options available with a platform more or less the same size as a .380 firearm, but using 9mm or even .45ACP, to have to use a .380. At the very least I'd rather carry a 9mm and it wouldn't be [appreciably] larger than the Bersa .380, if at all.
    Last edited by eagle00; June 30th, 2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: added comment.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle00 View Post
    I use the Gold Dots JHP, for expansion, because my .380 is my up close & personal, last resort, get off me personal deterrent.
    Do not believe .380 is sufficient for use as an EDC. There are too many options available with a platform more or less the same size as a .380 firearm, but using 9mm or even .45ACP, to have to use a .380. At the very least I'd rather carry a 9mm and it wouldn't be [appreciably] larger than the Bersa .380, if at all.
    I agree that there are more potent weapons out there in a package about the size of a .380 but, in the last month, I know of at least three people that hve been killed with that caliber. One was the drunk teenager who shot himself in the head. Two others were a murder-suicide that took place here in Knoxville. So apparently, at close range, a .380 can still get the job done. I hate to use other people's tragedy for an example but shooting ballistic gel or steel plate doesn't replace the real thing.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by eagle00 View Post
    There is nothing available in 9mm that is as small, flat, and light weight (12 oz fully loaded) as a .380 LCP. And if there was, you probably would not want to shoot it very much. Heck, folks complain about the recoil of the LCP as it is!

The Rohrbaugh R9 and Boberg XR9s are close in size, but heavier...and they both cost ~ $1,000. You can buy 3 LCPs for that...oh wait...I did!

Some folks will disdain the .380...whatever. I don't do caliber wars. Check out the sticky at the top of this subforum - once you get to .380/.38 Spl and above, there is really very little difference. What counts is where the bullet hits, and having enough penetration to reach the vitals.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I carry Speer Gold Dots in my P3AT. If Federal ever comes out with the HST in .380 I'll switch over to those.
    Fisher10 likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

that is what I am carry right now critical defence

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    There is nothing available in 9mm that is as small, flat, and light weight (12 oz fully loaded) as a .380 LCP. And if there was, you probably would not want to shoot it very much. Heck, folks complain about the recoil of the LCP as it is!

The Rohrbaugh R9 and Boberg XR9s are close in size, but heavier...and they both cost ~ $1,000. You can buy 3 LCPs for that...oh wait...I did!

Some folks will disdain the .380...whatever. I don't do caliber wars. Check out the sticky at the top of this subforum - once you get to .380/.38 Spl and above, there is really very little difference. What counts is where the bullet hits, and having enough penetration to reach the vitals.
    Yes, I agree with you there is nothing that compares in size [ carry, 'conceal-ability', comfort, etc...] to a .380 mouse-gun. It is for that reason that I too have one. My comment was addressing the Bersa sized .380 as the only EDC firearm. I thought that perhaps if I could carry a 9mm which was +/- the same size as the Bersa, I would prefer it. There are a few, here are two, which compare favorably in size to the Bersa, and are $75 or less more expensive than the Bersa.

L W H Wgt
    Bersa Thun .380 6.6” 1.30" 4.9” 20.0oz
    Ruger LC9 6.0” 0.90” 4.5” 17.1oz
    M&P Shield 6.1” 0.95” 4.6” 19.0oz

Obviously there are other factors one would consider in making their choice: cost, availability, comfort, perceived recoil, carry weight, etc. My point was that there are larger caliber handguns available which are more or less the same size.

To each their own. And the great thing about it all is that there are many options available!
    Last edited by eagle00; June 30th, 2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Critical Defense gets my vote, however YMMV

I personally go with Hornady Critical Defense. My rational is that I want expansion, while sacraficing as little penetration and velocity as possible. I'm not basing this on any hard science, but logically I would assume that the critical defense is going to have the least amount of drag of all the defensive rounds, becuase it doesn't have an exposed cavity. However to be honest I don't just look at the type of round, but why I'm carrying a .380. It's small and lightweight! lol. So its a perfect "summer" gun when hot weather prohibits concealing a larger firearm. It stands to reason then that I'm not going to be engaging a subject that is wearing heavy clothing. So penetration is not much of a factor. That being said I've accepted a long time ago that the .380 is not the most proficient man stopper (you're not going to drop a guy with one round center of mass no matter what the loading.) So what it comes down to for me is: Carry what ever you are most accurate with, and practice rapid follow-up shots. :)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links