• Federal Hydra-Shok

Votes: 18 11.5%
  • Speer Gold Dot

Votes: 31 19.7%
  • Winchester PDX1

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • Winchester Ranger T

Votes: 6 3.8%

A poll, which .380 ACP round would you go with?

20K views 72 replies 34 participants last post by  emont504 
#1 ·
After compiling a little comparative list from ballistic tests done by a 'Youtuber' that uses a calibrated sim-test media block and four layers of denim as well as the same 3.5" barreled Bersa handgun for comparable results I would like to see what round you all would choose.

Listed are penetration depths and average expansion:

Round Nose FMJ: 19"+ Penetration
Flat Nose FMJ: 19"+ Penetration
Remington Golden Saber: 19"+ Penetration, (Did not expand)
Hornady Critical Defense: 11.25" Penetration, .436" Expansion
Federal Hydra-Shok: 10.25" Penetration, .474" Expansion
Speer Gold Dot: 10.25" Penetration, .517" Expansion
Winchester PDX1: 8.25" Penetration, .652" Expansion
Winchester Ranger T: 8" Penetration, .654" Expansion

So...which round would you choose and why?

#2 ·
I chose the flat-nose FMJ because, with the .380, I want to insure that the bullet has the very best chance of getting in there, from any angle and through any clothing or interfering obstruction. If it'll bore through to the "good stuff" then .380 stands it's best chance of gaining a stop.

I'm just not overly enamored of expansion. Expansion is not magic. The .380 has a crying need for penetration. Expansion could even be detremental in some instances.

#12 ·
I chose the flat-nose FMJ because, with the .380, I want to insure that the bullet has the very best chance of getting in there, from any angle and through any clothing or interfering obstruction. If it'll bore through to the "good stuff" then .380 stands it's best chance of gaining a stop. I'm just not overly enamored of expansion. Expansion is not magic. The .380 has a crying need for penetration. Expansion could even be detremental in some instances.
. ^^This^^. The Hornady CD stuff would be my other choice. Not on your list but BuffaloBore has some good JHP stuff that would be worth a look in that caliber.

#7 ·
I bought the Hornady Critical Defense for my Taurus TCP. I experienced two failure to feeds in two boxes. This after hundreds of rounds of other ammunition shot with no issues, I lost confidence in the Hornady. So I plan to try some of the others.

#11 ·
I was just watching the same videos earlier today to decide which round I am going to carry as I'm getting an LCP next week. I was primarily in the market for a pocket 9mm but I came across a deal on a gently used gun plus ammo and accessories I couldn't refuse. I usually carry HSTs in 9mm +P or .40 so .380 is a real step down from what I'm used to but it's a compromise I'm willing to make. A little .380 in your pocket is much more useful than a 9mm or .40 left in your car.

While I want to carry Ranger-Ts because they are wicked cool :rolleyes: and have nice expansion, Speer Gold Dot had the best combination of reliability, penetration and reasonable expansion. I believe I'll be buying a box of 90gr Gold Dots. Hornady's Critical Defense is a close second and was impressive in the tests but the reports of hard primers and failure to feeds make me unsure.

I have no interest in carrying FMJs. Very excessive penetration could be a severe liability and the permanent wound cavity in the ballistics gel simulation was pretty pathetic. Sure you're getting penetration, but unless the very high penetration allows you to sever a major artery, vein or the CNS that an expanding 10" penetrating load would not damage, it has no advantages IMO. I'll take okay penetration and a much more damaged wound path.

Here's TNoutdoors9's Youtube channel if you want to see all of his excellent ballistic tests. tnoutdoors9 - YouTube
Here's a nice test showing what a 90gr Gold Dot can do to real flesh. Hog's Head Ballistics - Speer Gold Dot 90gr .380 ACP - YouTube

#13 ·
A little .380 in your pocket is much more useful than a 9mm or .40 left in your car.
A 40 on your hip & a 357 mag on your ankle beats either. I do it in business casual daily. ;)

#16 ·
The .380 is a poor choice to begin with, it's a weak caliber primarily chambered in very small hard to shoot pocket guns. However if it's you're only choice you're better off with a FMJ ball load. Ft lbs of Energy, hydrostatic shock & temporary stretch cavity are meaningless when dealing with handgun cartridges, liability as it pertains to over penetration is a severely over-hyped boogieman as most shots fired miss the bad guy anyway.

Penetration is the primary performance factor when choosing carry ammunition, your round must be capable of penetrating to the vitals in order to do their job effectively. As bmcgilvray said above, Expansion is not magic.

#19 ·
Who is Chad Ward and why should anyone give his article any weight?

BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp - M4Carbine.net Forums

Handguns chambered in .380 ACP are small, compact, and generally easy to carry. Unfortunately, testing has shown that they offer inadequate performance for self-defense and for law enforcement use whether on duty as a back-up weapon or for off duty carry. The terminal performance of .380 ACP JHP's is often erratic, with inadequate penetration and inconsistent expansion being common problems, while .380 ACP FMJ's offer adequate penetration, but no expansion. All of the .380 ACP JHP loads we have tested, including CorBon, Hornady, Federal, Remington, Speer, and Winchester exhibited inconsistent, unacceptable terminal performance for law enforcement back-up and off duty self-defense use due to inadequate penetration or inadequate expansion. Stick with FMJ for .380 ACP or better yet, don't use it at all. The use of .380 ACP and smaller caliber weapons is really not recommended for LE use and many savvy agencies prohibit them.

Dr. Gary K Roberts

#18 ·
Speed Gold dot has good expansion, and penetration. Winchester has better expansion with less penetration. Hornady CD takes a second to Speed imo. Would like to see kinetic energy for these rounds.

#20 ·
You left the .380 magnum round off your list. Even the article quoted states effectiveness of the round is dependent upon shot placement, and that seems to always be the main argument folks offer for choosing to carry sub-caliber rounds. I would prefer, if I'm going to bother even carrying a gun all the time, to carry something that a) is a proven fight stopper, and b) won't rely on a 4" window of effectiveness upon a moving lethal target. I don't view threats on my life as a good time to show off my awesome marksmanship, or stick a couple of ineffective holes in an adversary who may be drugged up/amped up/etc. Choosing SD weapons based upon convenience and comfort is stinking thinking. JMO.

#22 ·
For .380 (Sig P238) I carry 7+1 plus 2 7rd mags of 90gr Gold Dots. I also subscribe to 124gr GD's in 9mm, 180gr GD's in .40 and 230gr GD's in .45

I've shot a lot of these and they are reliable and consistent. I'm sure the other options have their merits as well.

#23 ·
If I carry the .380 ( which is not very often ) I use the Hornady. Main reason, they go on sale at Fleet Farm and are priced competitively.
I am not saying it is the best out there but it works good, price is good and they always have them in stock.

#29 ·
Now now let's not turn this into an argument.

I realize the .380 ACP is a compromise. I have also listed the poll in descending order from more penetration to less. It seems that it runs in the least expansion to most as well. This will give me an idea of what is more important to the end user.

My current favorites are the flat nose FMJ's or the Hydra-Shok's. I can't make my mind up 100% either way. Really wishing they manufactured a soft point type .380 that would expand to about .45 and get a 12". I don't think the critical defense will feed properly in what I'm going to use.

#30 ·
Which .380 ACP round would you go with?
Why is that so difficult... If you don't have a .380 you're in the clear on this one. This isn't a .380 vs 45 ACP thread, however I'd personally be interested in learning more about various .380 rounds as I do carry one on occasion.

Thanks.

In my TCP (after 3 rounds to Taurus) it now seems to shoot whatever I feed it, but I am still quite partial to Federal ammo as I stated. Streicher's (local to me) did a test and showed me the bullets of a few various rounds after impact on a windshield, the Federal was very impressive while the Hornady was merely angled, no expansion.

#32 ·
Plain old WWB 95 gr FMJ-FP in my LCPs. Check out the tests at GoldenLoki, done with a P3at through 2 layers of denim into gel...17 inches of penetration. I see no need to spend the money on the BB stuff - .380 ammo is expensive enough as it is. I can fire enough of the WWB ammo to establish reliability without breaking the bank.

#38 ·
No.

Consider that an attacker will likely have his arms outstretched towards you, holding a weapon or fists. Your bullet likely needs to go through hands/arms before even getting to the torso.

My understanding is that the skin on the far side is fairly tough and elastic, equivalent to several inches of gel.

Especially in a .380, I am not too concerned about overpenetration. Indeed, you might even consider the .380 FMJ an ideal (gasp!) civilian defensive round, because it has enough penetration, but little risk of too much. You are not dependent upon expansion (which does not always happen) to lessen the overpenetration risk, like you are with other calibers.

I know - blasphemy - to call the .380 ideal. Whatever...

#37 ·
I think about it! Aside from training under stressful situations, how could we replicate a defensive scenario? It is something to think and worry about. Would I be as accurate in a real world scenario? Probably not.

#35 ·
When I'm out jogging and carry my LCP it has Golden Sabers in it, one of the heavier .380 bullets you can find. Oddly I feel just as confident with my LCP as I do my G26 or G19, not sure why, just do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.