Defensive Carry banner

wax slugs

7K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Stevew 
#1 ·
I was just wandering what everyones take on wax slugs they look pretty wicked on you tube at 25-30 yards?:camper:

#2 ·
Hi I used them in my .357 for quick draw practice and pont aiming. I drew against my image in a plate glass mirror. One could easily see the impact points . However I must admit that I only used primers for propellent.

A full charge insulated from the heat of the burning in a shot gun would definately hurt, but I doubt on it's possible penetration on heavy clothing.

Remember Brian Terry of the Border Patrol, he was using bean bags since they were considered non lethal, and this in a lethal confrontation ??/

Nope, in the situation that you are visualizing, use bird shot at least..

Don Jose de La Mancha
"I exist to Live, not live to exist"

#4 ·
they sell rubber plugs That can be reused too. The wax or rubber plugs you have to use only primers and you have to widen the primmer pockets with a drill bit

#7 ·
I think the OP is talking about wax shotgun slugs, which are birdshot (#7, I think, with wax poured around the bbs, so that they don't separate until the slug hits the target, then all of the force is dumped into the target as the bbs cause the slug to break up... they are definitely lethal...

#8 ·
Not sure I have the right videos but I see some shotgun shells were the end is trimmed off and the shot is covered with hot wax then allowed to solidify.

Are there any of these that are made commercially?

After a few shots the barrel and chamber will be hot enough to melt that wax, then you have wax collecting in the chamber area.

#11 ·
And the purpose (or benefit or advantage or anything) of a wax slug is????? :confused:

Seems to me like the risks far outweigh any rewards. Heck, you could get wax or a loose pellet that ends up jamming the gun. Or maybe you leave the shells in direct sun and the wax melts out, then you get a hundred pellets clogging your shottie. Man, I just don't see any 'need' to utilize this process.

But I am waiting to be enlightened. :rolleyes:

-

#12 ·
I'm no fan of using a home made gimmick round I learned on youtube as a serious self defense option.

Wax bullets, X Ring rubber slugs, or hot glue bullets as indoor practice rounds, maybe. Possibly. Serious use, no way.

And by the way, those X Ring rubber slugs will shoot quite a bit low compared to a real round. So if you happen to be shooting them in, say, your kitchen... just for an examlple say into a cardboard box full of shop rags. If you forget that they shoot low you could possibly get a big rubber skidmark across the tile floor that is a PITA to get off before your wife sees it. Just sayin.

Reactions: phreddy
#13 ·
There was an instance way back in the mid 1970s where .38 Special "blanks" were made up using Gulf Wax and Unique powder. An enthusiastic test firing from a Smith & Wesson Model 15 to determine their loudness resulted in a hole in a sheet rock wall in a garage which was quickly covered by moving some assembled metal shelving. Nobody, who was both a mother and an aunt, ever found out.

#15 ·
I once made up some .38 spl rounds with wax wadcutters, powered by primers only. I bought blocks of wax, as sold "in the old days" for sealing home- canned food. I pressed primed .38 cases into the wax, twist, and pull out. Actually turned out to be fairly accurate at about 5 yards. Not something I would consider for self defense, of course, just a curious experiment in quiet indoor target practice. They would penetrate a couple layers of cardboard, but thats about it.

#16 ·
I think a lot of people that never hand loaded before underestimates (not having access) the pressures a primmer will build up in a sealed casing. .22 subsonic ammo uses no gun powder and just shoots off of the primmer and still gets up to 500+ fps

#18 ·
I use the cci training bullets too. Better accuracy than you would think. What are using for a backstop. I hang a doubled over towel ove a box. I have been able to use the bullets quite a few times. I have more problems with the plastic case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.