wax slugs

wax slugs

This is a discussion on wax slugs within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just wandering what everyones take on wax slugs they look pretty wicked on you tube at 25-30 yards?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: wax slugs

wax slugs

I was just wandering what everyones take on wax slugs they look pretty wicked on you tube at 25-30 yards?

Quote Originally Posted by rcj50 View Post
    I was just wandering what everyones take on wax slugs they look pretty wicked on you tube at 25-30 yards?
    Hi I used them in my .357 for quick draw practice and pont aiming. I drew against my image in a plate glass mirror. One could easily see the impact points . However I must admit that I only used primers for propellent.

A full charge insulated from the heat of the burning in a shot gun would definately hurt, but I doubt on it's possible penetration on heavy clothing.

Remember Brian Terry of the Border Patrol, he was using bean bags since they were considered non lethal, and this in a lethal confrontation ??/

Nope, in the situation that you are visualizing, use bird shot at least..

Don Jose de La Mancha
    "I exist to Live, not live to exist"

Why would you want to use wax slugs?

they sell rubber plugs That can be reused too. The wax or rubber plugs you have to use only primers and you have to widen the primmer pockets with a drill bit

I thought they were for mounted cowboy action shooting.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I thought they were for mounted cowboy action shooting.

Not sure what you mean but they sell the rubber plugs that you can reuse. I used to shoot them indoors into cardboard at 20 feet and they work well for training

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/713...eter-box-of-50

I think the OP is talking about wax shotgun slugs, which are birdshot (#7, I think, with wax poured around the bbs, so that they don't separate until the slug hits the target, then all of the force is dumped into the target as the bbs cause the slug to break up... they are definitely lethal...
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Not sure I have the right videos but I see some shotgun shells were the end is trimmed off and the shot is covered with hot wax then allowed to solidify.

Are there any of these that are made commercially?

After a few shots the barrel and chamber will be hot enough to melt that wax, then you have wax collecting in the chamber area.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I think the OP is talking about wax shotgun slugs, which are birdshot (#7, I think, with wax poured around the bbs, so that they don't separate until the slug hits the target, then all of the force is dumped into the target as the bbs cause the slug to break up... they are definitely lethal...
    why waste the time doing that when you can just cut the shell

And the purpose (or benefit or advantage or anything) of a wax slug is?????

Seems to me like the risks far outweigh any rewards. Heck, you could get wax or a loose pellet that ends up jamming the gun. Or maybe you leave the shells in direct sun and the wax melts out, then you get a hundred pellets clogging your shottie. Man, I just don't see any 'need' to utilize this process.

But I am waiting to be enlightened.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I'm no fan of using a home made gimmick round I learned on youtube as a serious self defense option.

Wax bullets, X Ring rubber slugs, or hot glue bullets as indoor practice rounds, maybe. Possibly. Serious use, no way.

And by the way, those X Ring rubber slugs will shoot quite a bit low compared to a real round. So if you happen to be shooting them in, say, your kitchen... just for an examlple say into a cardboard box full of shop rags. If you forget that they shoot low you could possibly get a big rubber skidmark across the tile floor that is a PITA to get off before your wife sees it. Just sayin.
    phreddy likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

There was an instance way back in the mid 1970s where .38 Special "blanks" were made up using Gulf Wax and Unique powder. An enthusiastic test firing from a Smith & Wesson Model 15 to determine their loudness resulted in a hole in a sheet rock wall in a garage which was quickly covered by moving some assembled metal shelving. Nobody, who was both a mother and an aunt, ever found out.
    Superhouse 15 and Cuda66 like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

That cut shell method could be useful if a person were in a pinch and needed a slug but only had birdshot.

I once made up some .38 spl rounds with wax wadcutters, powered by primers only. I bought blocks of wax, as sold "in the old days" for sealing home- canned food. I pressed primed .38 cases into the wax, twist, and pull out. Actually turned out to be fairly accurate at about 5 yards. Not something I would consider for self defense, of course, just a curious experiment in quiet indoor target practice. They would penetrate a couple layers of cardboard, but thats about it.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links