What's Your Defensive Bullet Of Choice?

This is a discussion on What's Your Defensive Bullet Of Choice? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For 357Sig my preference is Gold Dot or Federal HST. For 9mm,40S&W or 45 ACP my preference is Federal HST period....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: What's Your Defensive Bullet Of Choice?

For 357Sig my preference is Gold Dot or Federal HST. For 9mm,40S&W or 45 ACP my preference is Federal HST period.

2. Remove Ads

Federal hydrashoks or winchester PDXs

In the case of Winchester are PDX and the Rangers the same? I have heard the 9mm is not bonded , at least the Rangers.. True or False?

Sent from my 300 baud modem

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    In 9mm 147gr Ranger T's. In .380 102gr Golden Saber.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Federal HST or Ranger T Series (not SXT) for handguns and 75gr TAP or 50gr TSX, depending on the role, for my ARs.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

G''evening Ladies & gentlemen, especially bmcgilvray. glockman, wmhawth, From practical experience, a soft lead, full wadcutter is best , a semiwadcutter is next best. Both cut full diameter holes from impact area to the interior. In a lil .38 special they will create full diameter wounds while the rnd nose projectiles will tend to push the flesh aside leaving a much smaller wound channel and a smaller no of veins, arteies and nerves cut or effected - the full wadcutter or semi wadcuter will simply clip it.

Hollow pomts are always problematic, depending upon the impact velocity and what materiel they encounter on their way in to do their work.

VIVA REVOLVERS !!

Don Jose de La Mancha
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"
    wmhawth likes this.

5.7x28mm Elite Ammunition S4M
    40S&W 180 gr Federal HST

Distinguished Member
    In 45ACP, I've always used Golden Sabre 185gr+p, but I've ordered a box of Ranger-T 230gr for evaluation, so we'll see if that changes...

Quote Originally Posted by Tayopo View Post

Hollow points are always problematic, depending upon the impact velocity and what materiel they encounter on their way in to do their work.
    Darn right they're problematic... For anyone on the receiving end! I don't buy that a wadcutter or semi-wadcutter makes a significantly more damaged wound in flesh. Use hollow points unless you cannot use them (legally). I know Mexico has some crazy gun laws, so maybe HP bullets aren't allowed for civilians. In that case, a soft Wadcutter would be preferred to an FMJ.

In the case of Winchester are PDX and the Rangers the same? I have heard the 9mm is not bonded , at least the Rangers.. True or False?
    All Ranger-Ts are non-bonded. All PDX1 are bonded. From the information I have gathered, PDX1 is essentially a bonded Ranger-T bullet. Another line of ammo called "Ranger bonded" looks very different. It is probably a completely different design.

Ranger-T bullets tend to have minor core slippage from the jacket, but that is how it is designed. Ranger-T bullets have a reverse taper design, meaning the jacket is thicker towards the nose of the bullet which prevents the lead core from leaving the jacket. That design keeps the bullet held together okay. If the bullet was bonded (like a PDX1) the "talons" would not protrude from the bullet. Part of the reason PDX1s are marketed towards civilians is they are de-taloned and more politically correct.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Right now I'm carrying 40 S&W 180 gr. Gold Dots.

I have a bunch of magazines loaded with PDX1, Gold Dot, and HST in 124gr +P 9mm. and others with 165gr 40S&W in Gold Dot, Ranger T, and HST. 230gr Gold Dot 45's and 90gr Gold Dot 380's as well. They all seem to work pretty well.

Hi fisher coffee?/ You posted -->Darn right they're problematic... For anyone on the receiving end! I don't buy that a wadcutter or semi-wadcutter makes a significantly more damaged wound in flesh. Use hollow points unless you cannot use them (legally). I know Mexico has some crazy gun laws, so maybe HP bullets aren't allowed for civilians. In that case, a soft Wadcutter would be preferred to an FMJ.
    First, legal firearms do not exist for all practical purposes.

Second, many times I have seen hollow points fail to expand due to bridging of the nose cavity by say heavy cloth. or other materiel, particularily in pistol velocities..

Third, remember life shootings are not similar to shooting into a block of unobstructed ballistic gelatin

now lets go out into the patio and drink our coffee my friend.

Don Jose de La Mancha
    "I exist to Live, not live to exist"
    Last edited by Tayopo; June 30th, 2012 at 02:08 AM.

My choices vary by gun & caliber, also whether they're for carry or HD. My common carry guns are listed below.

37 Airweight: 125g Nyclad or vintage 38 SPL Super Police 200g LRN at 600.

Terrier or 32-1 snubby (cal 38 S&W): pure lead 200g SWC at about 600 or 148g LWC at 810

33-1 (cal 38 S&W): 148g LWC at 900, 135g GDHP-SB at 880, 158g LSWC at about 710, 200g LSWC at 650, or vintage 38 S&W Super Police 200g LRN at 600.

Sometimes I carrier a pair of Charter Pugs: 44-230 LWC at high 600's; Hornady 158g XTP 357 Mag (or 135g GDHP-SB).

Now that I have all these loads developed/available, I'm about to do some side-by-side point shooting to see which seems to be the "best of the best" in each of my guns for me.

Bottom line: I like generally heavy bullets, preferably soft lead for very heavy/slow combos, harder lead for lighter/faster combos. There are a couple of JHP's I'm quite comfortable with, too, but they're on the heavy side.

Will spare everyone my laundry list of house-gun loads, because then I'd have to explain why I have two Rugers in 380 Rim (38-200 or 38 S&W) loaded with Mk2Z 178g ball ammo of recent manufacture :-) That should start a minor storm of protest, which I'll address in more detail soon; don't want to hijack this thread!
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I never carry reloads...only use reloads for training/practice.

Carry factory ammo I buy @ Wal mart.

I hear you, Weeg, but I didn't mean to bring up that controversy on the OP's thread. The main thing I wanted to communicate was that I have a preference for heavy, lead bullets, although some heavy-end JHP's suit me OK.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links