What's Your Defensive Bullet Of Choice?

This is a discussion on What's Your Defensive Bullet Of Choice? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fellow shooters, it would be very interesting to know what your choice is as a defensive handgun bullet. This is about bullet type and make, ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: What's Your Defensive Bullet Of Choice?

Fellow shooters, it would be very interesting to know what your choice is as a defensive handgun bullet. This is about bullet type and make, not loaded ammunition brand. Nor is this a question about cartridge selection, unless your bullet choice varies with a change of cartridge. So if you would post your bullet preference, i.e., Gold Dot, XTP, FMJ, etc., that would be great. Thanks to all who participate.

Distinguished Member
    Gold Dots in various calibers. Good performance and reliability across the board.
    Showman, itschuck and Guest1 like this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Hydra-Shok - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I like these and a few of my local PD's use this ammo also.

The lead semi-wadcutter. If it has a hollow point, well that's gravy. I am currently using from a box of Remington +P 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter ammunition that does not have a hollow point. I also have Winchester's version with hollow point on hand and make use of handloaded versions of this same bullet over a stiff charge of Unique.

glockman10mm, OD*, Tayopo and 2 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have been having bad luck with PDX1 Winchester 45 230 grain lately. I most likely will be changing defense rounds because of the amount of failures.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Gold Dots
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Winchester Ranger 134 grain. Better accuracy for me than with critical defense. State lake patrol just switched to this round also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My choices do vary with caliber matter of fact. This come from years of range testing as to what works best for me in my pistols and that I am accurate with. I could actually care less about ballistic tests and jello (I'd rather have ice cream while smelling burnt gunpowder). Everyone's PD ammo preference is going to be different and for any variety of reasons. If you have a pistol that the manufacturer states not to use +P loads, then it's only reasonable to assume that's for a good reason. Ammo and pistols.....pistols and ammo. 9mm.....Speer GDHP 124gr+P (Glock 19). 40S&W....Rem UMC or Golden Saber 180gr HP (Glock 23 and 27). 45ACP....Remington Golden Saber 185GR+P or 200GR+P (SIG P220 SAO). I've got plenty of stuff in the archives (over the years) that kinda got put back......heck....I still have most of a box of Black Talon 45ACP and some of those IQ loads in certain varieties...Hornady XTPs....etc. That's from back when ammo was a lot less expensive. Guarantee you that you need to find what's available in your area at what you think to be reasonably priced, and try two or three different loads. If you can't find a good selection local, then by all means turn to the internet. I like TDSUS (forum sponsor). I turned to them for my 12GA loads I couldn't find anywhere else. I do like the Ranger HST ammo in 9mm as well. Take your pick.
    Anyways....it is what it is. Don't over-extend yourself and the credit card. Even back in the good ol' days, box price of twenty rounds (special ammo) is about what you'd pay for a box of 50 now.
    I only carried FMJ for PD ammo when the Geneva convention dictated that was how it had to be. (We) used what was issued. I only use FMJ ammo for range practice and USPSA these days since I'm free to choose.

I have Ranger T's in 9MM +P+, 40S&W, 45ACP+P and Corbon DPX in the same calibers. The Ranger T's are less than half the cost of DPX for 50 rounds vs 20 rounds. When I run out of Cor-Bon, it will be all Ranger T's.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

.380 - flat point FMJ
    .38 Spl - heavy SWC (not HP)
    9mm - Federal 124 gr "LE" +P EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket); or 147 gr Speer Gold Dot
    .45 - 185 gr Hornady Critical Defense; or heavier Speer Gold Dot

I'm liking the concept of the Hornady Critical Duty loads. They're due out with a .45 version soon, and I may try the 9mm version.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Winchester PDX1 in 45 ACP, 9mm, 38 SPCL, AND 380 ACP.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Golden Sabers and Ranger T's
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Once again, bmcgilvray took the words right out of my mouth. In a revolver, it will ALWAYS be a LSWC, and I could care less if it's an HP or not, as Bryon said" that's just gravy".

In an autoloader, it will always be the heaviest bullet possible. Manufacture, style, do not even get a consideration over weight.
    WHEC724, Tayopo, pete950 and 1 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

9mm = 147 grain Speer GDHP

.38 Special = 158 grain BB LSWCHP

Yeah for bullet weight!
    Tayopo likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links