Do you carry extra ammunition or magazines daily?

This is a discussion on Do you carry extra ammunition or magazines daily? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually have extra magazines loaded nearby but have never carried an extra magazine on my belt like some people do. I have two questions. ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you carry extra ammunition or magazines daily?

Ridgerunner

I usually have extra magazines loaded nearby but have never carried an extra magazine on my belt like some people do.

I have two questions. Do you carry extra ammunition on you? Second is how do you carry it (what carrier and at what position)?

i carry two mags, sometimes they are on my belt, sometimes in my cargo pockets. the royal robbins pants i just got have neat back pockets that work great.

i dont carry spare mags for the sole reason that i expect to need more than 9 rounds. rather its a greater chance there will be a mag malfunction.

DC Founder
    I guess I am like you, Ridgerunner, I don\'t normally carry extra mags unless I am going to the range. If I could find a really nifty whizbang way to carry them unobtrusively I probably would. Like spacemanspiff I do sometimes stuff them in a pocket.

I rarely carry without an extra magazine. If carrying in my shoulder holster I have one spare mag on the strong side attached to the shoulder rig.

When I carry on the waistband I have a \"spare mag\" holster that locates the magazine on top of the gun.

Occasionally in the summer I carry a P32 and don\'t carry an extra mag.

I have a dual mag holder that attaches to my belt. I can wear it also but rarely do.

Friend and I were talking about this very topic. The FBI National Criminal Database showed that there is a growing trend in major metropolis'that there is more than one assailant 83% of the time. That being said. My friend and I are looking to carry at least one spare mag. Granted I can call myshots out to 25 yds with not a single problem, but when the adrenaline starts to pumping, I am not sure if my shot placement will be as precsie and surgical.

I figure better to be safe and err on the side of added weight than come up shy after the first mag. But than again 15rds in the P14 does help.

~A

Kahrman
    Originally posted by APachon
    Granted I can call myshots out to 25 yds with not a single problem, but when the adrenaline starts to pumping, I am not sure if my shot placement will be as precsie and surgical.
    Your shot placement would most likely not be where you want it, but the more you train the more it will be in an effective area. Not saying anything about you personally, adrenaline will do some heady things to you as a shooter.

If I carry my 3\" Kimber Ultra Carry then I usually have two spare mags on my side. If I carry my S&W 386PD then I carry one spare 7 round 357 mag speed loader. If I carry my S&W 360PD in a front pocket I have one speed strip with five 145 gr. Winchester Silvertip .357 mags. I just started to carry my FN 5.7x28 for the winter and may not carry a spare mag since it holds 20 rounds.

MadDog

Spare mag weak side in Uncle Mikes Unversal knife.mag pouch. That being a Clintonised 10 rounder, gives me 25 doses of felon repellant.:)

Spare mag in Brommeland mag/flash weakside. Not for extended firefights, but quickest, surest way to clear a malfunction. I dont call it a spare mag, so much as a secondary mag (primary has failed).

Dan

VIP Member
    I will carry extra ammo on-body sometimes. If I\'m carrying my USPc, I might tote a mag in the mag slot in my bellyband. If it\'s the 640 or Cobra, maybe a speedloader in the mag slot, or a speed strip in the pocket. Most of the time I just keep a speed strip in my purse.

I have a second gun as my reload. :D

Kahrman, no offense taken, your post read as sincere advice.

I am pretty damn sure when the adrenaline does get pumping that i will be shooting like an epileptic monkey with tourette\'s after having ingested a few speed pills firing a mac-10. Friend that has Gold Membership to FRont Sight is givng wife and each a certificate wortt $1200. I am definitely psyched to get some training this year.

~A

Originally posted by Kahrman
    Originally posted by APachon
    Granted I can call myshots out to 25 yds with not a single problem, but when the adrenaline starts to pumping, I am not sure if my shot placement will be as precsie and surgical.
    Your shot placement would most likely not be where you want it, but the more you train the more it will be in an effective area. Not saying anything about you personally, adrenaline will do some heady things to you as a shooter.

Yes, I carry a spare 15 round mag, carried in my left front pocket at the moment.

VIP Member
    When I don\'t carry a second gun, I have a mag holder by Galco on the weak side around 9-10 o\'clock. I have to be stylish, so my belt, holster and mag holder are all by Galco, so they match.:D

Kel-Tec .32 keep two extra mags in the opposite pocket.

In any of my others I carry a couple of extra mags or speed loaders. Nothing is as much of a let down as an empty gun.

I had a buddy who carried 8 spare mags for his 1911A1, 4 in each back pocket. No, I didn\'t ask.....

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links