Ammunition in a hot car. An experiment for the summer.

This is a discussion on Ammunition in a hot car. An experiment for the summer. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have read more than a few discussions about people questioning the performance and safety of their ammunition that may be stored in a car ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ammunition in a hot car. An experiment for the summer.

Ammunition in a hot car. An experiment for the summer.

I have read more than a few discussions about people questioning the performance and safety of their ammunition that may be stored in a car in the summer heat. Today I started the Florida summer ammo experiment. I put the following rounds in an old ammo container on a piece of black painted concrete outside my garage.

5 rounds each of:
    Winchester 9mm 115gr Silvertip
    PMC 9mm 115gr FMJ
    CCI .22mag FMJ
    Remington .22lr pistol match LRN with heavy lube on the bullet
    Aguilla .32ACP 71gr FMJ
    Surplus 5.56 55gr FMJ

And 3 rounds each of:
    American Eagle .38spl 130gr FMJ
    Remington 12ga Sabot Slug

As a control I put the same rounds in my closet in the house in the air conditioning. At the end of August I'll unpack them and shoot for accuracy. I hope to also get the use of a chronograph by then so if anyone in the Daytona Beach area wants to assist with this please feel free to send me a message.

Any predictions?
    Last edited by Superhouse 15; June 30th, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Any predictions?

With the 104 degrees we are having here in Atlanta I predict rounds cooking off like a Food Network game show.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I predict your going to take them out and shoot them, and they will work fine. I suggest you get an old mercury thermometer and stick it in there too, check during the middle of the day and see what the temps are at just for kicks.
    mr.stuart likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I've been running that experiment here in AZ for 9 years now. I always keep a few speedloaders full of .38 special in my glove box, plus a couple of boxes of .223 in the covered storage area in back (old Volvo wagon). The car is parked outdoors, uncovered, pretty much all the time, and the air temp in the car has reached at least as much as 140F (measured). I make an effort to shoot off the car ammo every few months, but it's gone as long as a year sometimes and it's never failed to go bang. Can't offer any velocity numbers, but subjectively the "heat cured" ammo doesn't feel any different.

The big difference with your FL experiment is humidity, and the chance that repeated thermal cycles may allow some moisture into the case, just from the water in the air. Rarely an issue here in AZ!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Any predictions?

With the 104 degrees we are having here in Atlanta I predict rounds cooking off like a Food Network game show.
    Not gonna happen.

It doesn't get nearly hot enough in a vehicle to cook off rounds.

I do believe there was a Mythbusters episode that covered it.

And my prediction: absolutely no discernible difference.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Cuda, that's another great example of a myth that won't die.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

In fairness to me, I was kidding. I leave ammo in my range bag in the Georgia heat all the time.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

P95
    Unless you bench each shot....all the time and effort will be wasted.

It's hotter in Afghanistan.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    It's hotter in Afghanistan.
    Not today...
    Clint Eastwood

I know that new people keep worrying about this and the posts pop up from time to time. My plan is to benchrest the ammo in the same guns and see if there is any difference, chrono it if I can, and prove that it's a non event.

I was going to use a black painted ammo can but I didn't have an empty one so I'm using a 40mm pop-flare container. Waterproof OD green plastic tube with an O ring seal.

I was working around the house today and it felt somewhere between Afghanistan and the depths of hell.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Lead Moderator
    Most ammo is good to over about 250 degrees F. That is a lot hotter that the inside of your car is going to see from sunlight.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Not any issue . Never has been never will be.

I don't know enough about the subject to give a prediction, but sounds like a interesting experiment. So you will either prove or disprove the idea that extreme, prolonged heat effects the performance of ammo....right? (Just making sure I understand).
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I keep my ammo on ice. The cold contracts the molecules in the rounds and makes for a denser package that slips through the barrel with increased velocity. An interesting side effect is that the bad guy always asks for a sweater after he's been shot.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links