How potent is Corbon's 9mm-115+P??

This is a discussion on How potent is Corbon's 9mm-115+P?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sgb Not doubting your factual accounts however like it or not they are "anecdotal" accounts as the facts are related as perceived ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: How potent is Corbon's 9mm-115+P??

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Not doubting your factual accounts however like it or not they are "anecdotal" accounts as the facts are related as perceived by you. Anecdotal evidence, much like eye witness testimony is highly unreliable. Sorry if that offends your sensibilities.
    DocGKR has evaluated the following loads out of a 5" S&W 629 revolver and 16' Marlin 1894P carbine:

Federal 180 gr JHP (C44B), Federal 240 gr JHP (C44A), Federal 240 gr JHP Hydrashok (P44HS1), Federal 300 gr LWC Cast Core (P44E), Hornady 180 gr JHP XTP (9081), Hornady 240 gr JHP XTP (9085), Hornady 300 gr JHP XTP (9088), Remington 180 gr JHP (R44MG5), Remington 275 gr JHP Core-Lokt (RH44MGA), Speer 270 gr JSP Gold Dot (23968), Winchester 210 gr JHP Silver Tip (X44MS), Winchrester 250 gr JHP Partition Gold (S44MP)

Out of all these loads, the Hornady 300 gr JHP XTP (9088) was judged superior to all others, with deep penetration and expansion in excess of 0.70". Other comments: "The Hornady 240 gr and 180 gr loadings also performed well, the Remington 275 gr Core-Lokt was a good overall performer, the Remington 180 gr and Winchester 210 gr Silvertip loads had excessive muzzle flash, the Hydrashok fragmented badly, the Silvertip did well in the revolver and not the carbine, the Gold Dot did well in the carbine and not the revolver, the Cast Core has VERY deep penetration, but no expansion".
    Kinda like that? It works both ways.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    While too expensive for most police depts. to use it in JHP or DPX form.

The CB 115 gr. +P JHP is what I used for a few years before Gold Dots.

I know that some guys (Including world re-known Instructors) adore 115 grain DPX
    and that's all they carry.

Both loads have worked on the streets in the past.

The identical bullet ( except 80 grains) in the Double Tap TAC-XP line is what I stuff my two
    carry CZ 2075 RAMIs with these days.

Just look at the top loads in the DOC gr. tests and see what's showing up most often!

Note- that I use the same but in the 115 gr. bullet in the .357 SIGs as well.

Same for the .38+P but with the 110 gr. TAC-XP.

Very low recoil with amazing accuracy are hallmarks of the Barnes loads from my guns except the .380s that
    show some real bark.

If you look at further testing on the net, you will see that one doesn't have to worry that the X bullet is bonded or not,
    and it gives uniform expansion most every time.

As mentioned, the only real drawback of the Barnes X bullet is the high cost,
    but you pay for technology and performance with any product.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Kinda like that? It works both ways.
    So you're trying to say your personal anecdotal observations are equal to Doc Robert's scientific conclusions? .... sorry for laughing, it's that apples and oranges thing. The fact that you would even attempt to equate the two pretty much shoots your credibility in the foot.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Tip of the day: Shoot them and some Gold Dots into gallons of water lined up back to back. You'll buy more GD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooger View Post
    Tip of the day: Shoot them and some Gold Dots into gallons of water lined up back to back. You'll buy more GD's.
    Not the best tip, most hollow points expand in water without a problem. Put four layers of denim in front of the jugs and then test your bullets.
    --Jason--

as a rule, lighter faster bullets fragment and have poor penetration, which is why I carry 147gr Hornady Tap 9mm for self defense. Heavier bullets penetrate deeper than the lighter rounds, and have a better chance of reaching vital organs in a self defense shooting. I have shot a lot of the Corbon 115gr 9mm +P, and it zips along at around 1,350fps and is a real attention getter at the range. Pushing .357SIG velocities. Very loud and a really cool felt recoil unlike any other 9mm I've fired. Your Glock 19 is rated for +P+ rounds if I'm not mistaken, so the Corbon +P round will do nicely if that is the route you decide to take.

If you go to Corbon's site and view their gelatin tests of the lighter bullets, you will be disappointed. In a word, they suck. The standard 115gr +P Corbon round has pretty good penetration if I remember correctly, but I would do more research to make sure it has adequate penetration. I used to carry Corbon 40SW 1350 gr in my Glock 23 until I saw the gelatin test......pathetic penetration, but lots of speed and a lot of fun to shoot. Unfortunately, the guy on the other end of my gun does not care if I am having fun, or how loud the round is.
    Went to 180gr Hornady's.
    sgb and Cuda66 like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    If you are tallking about the DPX--great choice. Spendy, though.

If you are talking about their traditional JHP--I'd pass for one of many better choices out there.

Then again, I don't get lubed up over lightweight, warp velocity bullets. YMMV.
    Your spot on....There are alot better loads out there. Federal HST for example......Gold Dots

So you're trying to say your personal anecdotal observations are equal to Doc Robert's scientific conclusions? .... sorry for laughing, it's that apples and oranges thing. The fact that you would even attempt to equate the two pretty much shoots your credibility in the foot.
    I would say yes, my observations are as valid as any one else. Are you trying to imply that I am an idiot and cannot comprehend what I see, or are you calling me a liar?

sgb
    I would say yes, my observations are as valid as any one else. Are you trying to imply that I am an idiot and cannot comprehend what I see, or are you calling me a liar?
    I think I've been very clear on the issue. While your personal anecdotal evidence impresses you it does not hold any weight with me. That you want to make this into a personal insult speaks volumes.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

I think I've been very clear on the issue. While your personal anecdotal evidence impresses you it does not hold any weight with me. That you want to make this into a personal insult speaks volumes.

I am heartbroken that you are not impressed. This is where I say we agree to disagree. The insult is where you "literally" laugh in my face. I just love the anonymity of the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Not the best tip, most hollow points expand in water without a problem. Put four layers of denim in front of the jugs and then test your bullets.
    Go try it and get back to me. I have pics you wouldn't be impressed with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooger View Post
    Go try it and get back to me. I have pics you wouldn't be impressed with.
    Have you posted the pictures here? I wouldn't mind seeing them, maybe in another thread.
    --Jason--

9mm at 115gr. IMO, it's like a really, really, really hot .380.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

sgb
    I am heartbroken that you are not impressed. This is where I say we agree to disagree. The insult is where you "literally" laugh in my face. I just love the anonymity of the internet.

Try decaf friend ............... HAND

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Just get some Gold Dot 124's and be done.
    +1 ( more if possible ) ranger , HST and gold dots are used by the vast majority of law enforcement agencies. Field tested... Why screw around with bullets with anecdotal evidence. I do the same as you do carry dots in all my handguns and I am done with it

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links