Best brand of 556/223 SD ammo - Page 2

Best brand of 556/223 SD ammo

This is a discussion on Best brand of 556/223 SD ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo Summarizing Doctor Roberts' choices results in the following list (make sure to read about the importance of barrier penetration ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Best brand of 556/223 SD ammo

sgb
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Summarizing Doctor Roberts' choices results in the following list (make sure to read about the importance of barrier penetration just below the list):
    If Barrier penetration is NOT an important factor AND your rifle can stabilize them (1:9 minimum twist rate):

Hornady 75gr OTM loads
    Nosler 77gr OTM loads
    Sierra 77gr SMK loads

If Barrier penetration is NOT an important factor AND your rifle can't stabilize the heavy 70+ grain bullets:

Sierra 69gr SMK loads
    Hornady 68gr OTM loads
    Winchester 64gr JSP (RA223R2)
    Federal 64gr TRU (223L)
    Hornady 60gr JSP

If your rifle is 1:12 twist rate and can only shoot lighter-weight bullets:

55gr Federal bonded JSP load (LE223T1 or P223T2)
    Barnes 55gr TSX/TAC-X
    50gr TSX loaded by Black Hills*

If Barrier penetration IS an important factor (most of these should work with 1:9 barrels, but use common sense in regards to twist rate requirements)

62gr Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (TBBC) bonded JSP (XM556FBIT3)*
    64gr Winchester solid base bonded JSP (Q3313/RA556B)*
    50gr TSX loaded by Black Hills*
    Speer 55 & 64gr Gold Dot JSP (5.56)*
    Federal 62gr Mk318 Mod0 (T556TNB1)*
    62gr Federal bonded JSP Tactical (LE223T3)
    55gr Federal bonded JSP load (Tactical––LE223T1 or identical Premium Rifle––P223T2)
    Swift 75gr Scirocco (usually requires 1:7 twist)
    60gr Nosler Partition JSP
    Remington 62gr bonded JSP
    Federal 55gr TSX (T223S)
    Speer 55 & 64gr Gold Dot JSP (.223)
    Federal 62gr Fusion JSP (Same construction as the Gold Dot)

Loads marked with * are 5.56 loads and indicate preferred loadings.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Summarizing Doctor Roberts' choices results in the following list (make sure to read about the importance of barrier penetration just below the list):
    If Barrier penetration is NOT an important factor AND your rifle can stabilize them (1:9 minimum twist rate):

Hornady 75gr OTM loads
    Nosler 77gr OTM loads
    Sierra 77gr SMK loads
    It seems these bullets are mostly available for law enforcement only, and rare to get.
    What are other options that are available for civilians?

Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    It seems these bullets are mostly available for law enforcement only, and rare to get.
    What are other options that are available for civilians?
    All of them are available to non-LEO's.

All top shelf loads can be difficult to find right now. Online is likely your best bet.
    Aceoky and OD* like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Ive only tested two brands for SD rounds. In my test results Federal Tactical out performed Hornady Tap by a mile..

I really like the American Eagle 62gr "Green tips" 5.56 NATO round, you can get a 150 rounds for $69. Its just about identical to what we used in the Army. Its not a "true" AP round, but I do believe, I could be wrong...that it has a steel core, not lead. I know that it is the best penetrating round I have ever fired from a 5.56. For hunting, I shot a deer in the shoulder blade and it crushed it, drop shot, that doesn't happen with typical 5.56. You have to be very, very careful when target shooting, have a backstop for your backstop, it has went through a piece of 2X4 treated lumber, then a 1/2" thick steel plate, and kept on going. The manager at my local Wal-Mart said the Police had been in complaining they were selling this ammo, because it easily penetrates their Kevlar vests. I use a 1.9 twist out of a M-4 CARBINE...So, like others have probably posted here, the twist rate has a lot to do with the "right" ammo. 62gr is the heaviest I can get MOA shot groups with out of my 1.9 barrel twist.

That is "XM855F" and it has a lead core with a "steel penetrator tip" it's NOT AP by definition

Quote Originally Posted by XDogfaceX View Post
    I really like the American Eagle 62gr "Green tips" 5.56 NATO round, you can get a 150 rounds for $69. Its just about identical to what we used in the Army. Its not a "true" AP round, but I do believe, I could be wrong...that it has a steel core, not lead. I know that it is the best penetrating round I have ever fired from a 5.56. For hunting, I shot a deer in the shoulder blade and it crushed it, drop shot, that doesn't happen with typical 5.56. You have to be very, very careful when target shooting, have a backstop for your backstop, it has went through a piece of 2X4 treated lumber, then a 1/2" thick steel plate, and kept on going. The manager at my local Wal-Mart said the Police had been in complaining they were selling this ammo, because it easily penetrates their Kevlar vests. I use a 1.9 twist out of a M-4 CARBINE...So, like others have probably posted here, the twist rate has a lot to do with the "right" ammo. 62gr is the heaviest I can get MOA shot groups with out of my 1.9 barrel twist.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    That is "XM855F" and it has a lead core with a "steel penetrator tip" it's NOT AP by definition
    That's what I figured. Thanks for correction. I knew it was NOT ap, as I fired true ap rounds while serving 20 years in the ARMY, but its the closest civilian ammo ive found, went through passenger car door, two gel dummies, drivers side car door, and stuck in a oak tree so deep I couldn't pry it out.
    Aceoky likes this.

Happy to try to help
    XDogfaceX likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Sponsor
    A Shotgun an OO Buck shot!!!!
    XDogfaceX likes this.

Frank2.jpg
    It's ALIVE!!!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

FMJ is not a good choice go with one of the loads listed in post #16.
    The FMJs as posted earlier will not fragment reliably.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I gotta figure that a perp isn't going to be wearing armor, so I keep a mg full of "frangible" varmit loads nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    I gotta figure that a perp isn't going to be wearing armor, so I keep a mg full of "frangible" varmit loads nearby.
    It's not about body armor, it's about reaching the vitals at all angles and even when having to shoot through some sort of light barrier. Wall, couch, table, etc... Varmint rounds are good for varmints.

Why does the Military use the FMJ's? When I was in the Army, are ammo was exactly the same as the American Eagle 62gr "green tips" with the "steel penetrator tip". You open up on a vehicle, everyone inside is toast. Im with Post#24, in self defense, my M4 is the last thing I would use, unless I had no concern for neighbors, or people in other rooms. In close quarters NOTHING beats a 12 gauge with 00 BUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by XDogfaceX View Post
    Why does the Military use the FMJ's? When I was in the Army, are ammo was exactly the same as the American Eagle 62gr "green tips" with the "steel penetrator tip". You open up on a vehicle, everyone inside is toast. Im with Post#24, in self defense, my M4 is the last thing I would use, unless I had no concern for neighbors, or people in other rooms. In close quarters NOTHING beats a 12 gauge with 00 BUCK!
    The military is limited by international law (Hague Convention, if memory serves).

And those 00 pellets will go through more walls than many SD-oriented 5.56/.223 rounds--so, if overpenetration is a concern, you're using the wrong tool.
    Aceoky likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links