Best brand of 556/223 SD ammo

This is a discussion on Best brand of 556/223 SD ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; now first of all i don’t want to start a debate of if a 556 round is best home defense round or not. I will ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Best brand of 556/223 SD ammo

now first of all i don’t want to start a debate of if a 556 round is best home defense round or not. I will not be using my AR for a primary HD weapon but my thoughts are if i have the rifle and it is in the house in a safe i should have some SD ammo for it, wouldn’t hurt.

now some info about my area, i live in a residential area with all concrete block construction houses with not much distance between houses (100 ft closest distance) but average would be more than that with streets factored in ext.

the rifle has a 16" barrel w/ a 1:9 twist

I know there are a lot of very reputable brands out there such as the Hornady TAP, Winchester ext ext ext. i was just wondering what everyone’s experience with different brands were and what suggestions would be on what would be the safest.

thanks
    Last edited by J0eyg86; July 1st, 2012 at 08:51 PM.

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De..._FAQ/index.htm
    http://m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=91
    Should be able to find your answers here....

Sent from this... Using that...
    sgb likes this.

sgb
    The AR is so versatile that you need to match your ammo to the task and your twist rate/barrel length.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member
    I use Hornady vmax but I figure the kind that don't miss is best
    DingBat likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Interesting question...interesting answer...

Is .223 the Best Home Defense Caliber? - Guns & Ammo

My AR is loaded with Winchester PDX1.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    The AR is so versatile that you need to match your ammo to the task and your twist rate/barrel length.
    im sorry i should have included this im my orginal post ill edit. its a 16" barrel w/ a 1:9 twist

The two links provided are chock full of good info.

I like the Barnes TSX 55gr, m'self.
    sgb likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

IMO......55gr FMJ 5.56/.223. Barrel length 16" or less. You're not going to find much in the way of 5.56 specialty ammo. Most of the .223 available are HPs and are higher velocity varmint rounds. Over penetration your worries for neighbors? If you miss your target be sure of your backstop (since you choose a high powered rifle). The FMJ bullet design in this caliber will turn or tumble if not a direct hit and subsequently loose velocity very quickly. Sheetrock, 2x4s, hollow core doors aluminum or wood, etc. HPs will dig into construction materials and may very well expand and retain enough velocity to make a second cut or fragment on exit of the first barrier. I have absolutely no data, experience, nor statistics to back up my theory.

Barrier penetration? Try a bonded soft point or copper bullet like Barnes TTSX.
    For no barrier penetration expected (most of us would fall into this category) there are many options and it's hard to go wrong. Pretty much any .223/5.56 round that falls into this category is likely going to fragment violently, including FMJs, however FMJs do not fragment consistently round to round. The rounds I use are loaded with 55gr Hornady V-max bullets. Hornady TAP is an equivalent. My alternate load is 55gr Federal bonded soft points.

I have a 16" 1:8 twist 5.56 chamber AR. While many would consider a 12GA shotgun ideal for home defense, don't let anybody make you think an AR is not an appropriate weapon for HD. The wide variety of fast, light weight, tumbling and fragmenting defense rounds used a 5.56 AR-15 will likely penetrate through fewer walls in your home than many pistol rounds or buck shot. The knock-down power of a good .223/5.56 round will probably stop any confrontation quicker than any duty-caliber pistol will.

I've wondered about the Hornady TAP Urban loads? They seem to be directed the way you're interested.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    I currently use Black Hills 5.56 rounds loaded with 77gr OTM Matchkings. Boom goes the dynamite.
    Aceoky likes this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

The majority of the ammo I use is for practice and for that I use Wolf. Never had an issue. Use the steel case Teflon coated not lacquer coated. It's cheap and works well. Maybe a tad dirty but cleaning isn't a problem.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Unless my home is being stroemd by the Zombie hoard, I cannot imagine uncorking an AR in mi Casa.

BTW: I'm intimately familiar with firing ARs inside of structures...

Quote Originally Posted by Weeg View Post
    Unless my home is being stroemd by the Zombie hoard, I cannot imagine uncorking an AR in mi Casa.

BTW: I'm intimately familiar with firing ARs inside of structures...

ya like i said im going to go get this as my first choice, but if it does need to be an option i would like to have the safiest ammo i can to do it

Black Hills 5.56 50gr TSX.
    sgb likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links