380 Golden Sabers

380 Golden Sabers

This is a discussion on 380 Golden Sabers within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gonna try these in my 238. I like the long ogive, ought to feed more like hardball. My gun does not seem to care for ...

Thread: 380 Golden Sabers

380 Golden Sabers

Gonna try these in my 238. I like the long ogive, ought to feed more like hardball. My gun does not seem to care for Gold Dots. Found an outfit called SGammo that sells them. Can't find them around here. Old school design, so it is said, but so is the 1911.

My P238 eats um up like candy. I like that fact that they are 102gr too... For now I keep my P238 stoked with the 95gr JHP Buffalo Bore +p stuff. IMO, it's probably the best .380 round out there in the .380 caliber.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Nothing wrong with old school designs.......plenty of things can't be improved on. Man just doesn't know his limits, and then again, there are new sales pitches all of the time. You simply need to have something that's reliable all of the time. If this means sticking with FMJ ammo, then it is what it is. PD specific ammo for a .380? I might have more to say about that, but since you have a SIG, I think you're doing fine. Some of the better ammo offerings are hard to find now....that's because they didn't sell very well at the time. Some got cut all together from manufacturers, then some are still made limited production or still in inventory at the far reaches of the universe.
    I'm going to make it a point to hit a local gun show this weekend........something I haven't done in almost two years now even though it's not going to work real well with my work schedule. I'll keep my eyes open and gather any prevalent info since you mentioned it.

All of the local LEO agencies issue this for backup guns, even though they issue other rounds for their duty guns. I have it in all my .380s. Of all the ammo we tested when I worked at a range, this was the most consistant performer.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    All of the local LEO agencies issue this for backup guns, even though they issue other rounds for their duty guns. I have it in all my .380s. Of all the ammo we tested when I worked at a range, this was the most consistant performer.
    In what way was the 380 golden saber a more consistent performer, and what did your tests consist of? This seems to contradict pretty much every test I've seen; no expansion, essentially performed as FMJ. I do like the heavier weight of this round, so I would be interested in your tests.
    NRA Life Member

I spent most of the Spring terminal testing 380 ammo. Golden Saber didn't do very well for me. This was out of Kahr P380 with a 2.5" barrel. If you are looking for something heavier than 95 grain, try the Black Hills 100 Grain FMJ. It's only 2 fps slower than the 102 grain Golden Saber in my testing. My remaining supply of GS 380 is now practice ammo.

I thought UMC 88 grain JHP was going to perform well, but as it turns out it didn't. Inconsistent velocity and core jacket separation marred my results.

Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Sponsored Links