Why Is the .40 S&W So Beat Up On These Days?

This is a discussion on Why Is the .40 S&W So Beat Up On These Days? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Own a Sig 40. The round has great ballistics in gel tests, but like many here is not my first carry choice....

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Why Is the .40 S&W So Beat Up On These Days?

Own a Sig 40. The round has great ballistics in gel tests, but like many here is not my first carry choice.

2. Remove Ads

I have to agree with the OP. I like the .40. Of my normal carry guns, 2 are .40's and one is a 9mm. So I can say I like the .40 round.

I think it does a very good job of being a self defense round. I think the 9mm is a good SD round as well. The .45 is also. It all comes down to what round you shoot more accurately and can achieve high hit percentages with.
    Ragin Cajun likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I can tell you one thing that the .40 seems to excel at here where I live: Ammo availability.

Every time I go to Wal Mart, they are out of 9mm and .357 Sig but have plenty of .40 S&W. I need to go online and find some 9mm ammo for my LC9 before it starves. I can always get .40 there for the Glock.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

I really enjoy shooting my .40 as well. Not QUITE as cheap as 9mm, sure, but it's still a very good value round with great ballistics. Doesn't hurt to have one in the armory!

It's my primary carry caliber. It was designed as a "service caliber" from the ground up. I lot of police agencies have migrated to the 357 sig for the sole purpose of penetrating windshields and car doors (sometimes the .40s would deflect). For the average CC holder I doubt that would ever be an issue and the one shot stops actually favor the .40 in the 155 gr and 165 gr varieties over the 357 sig. To me its the ultimate "compromise caliber". Capacity close to a 9 mm and stopping power close to a .45. Truly a utilitarian caliber in my humble opinion. Plus you can get a 357 sig barrel in most guns and have another caliber for less than $200.
    Chesafreak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    The only good I see to a .40 is it was the base of the 10mil :)
    The 10mm was developed first.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The 10mm was developed first.
    Ah! But can you name the first pistol that was chambered in 10mm?

The .41 Long Colt which is also actually a .40/10mm round came out in 1877 in the Colt "Thunderer" double action revolver.

The .38-40, originally called the .38 WCF, was a true .40/10mm cartridge originating in 1879 as a rifle cartridge offering for the Winchester Model 1873 but appearing in the Colt Single Action Army within about 3 years.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Im a fan Of 40 s&w. The only downside I see is cost. Which its pretty cheap to get a 9mm conversion barrel for high volume shooting in a glock.

Well... I took the plunge and got my hands on a Ruger SR40. I was a "forty" shooter many years ago (I had the first Glock 22 .40 S&W in my town) and decided it was time to jump on the band wagon.
    Man, it sure looks bigger than I remembered! Taking it to the range this week to break it in, wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Everyone always finds a way to defend their gun or caliber of choice... truth is, there's no reason to. Everyone has their own magic combo, and that's why they make so many different variations, most of which are successful and continue on for many, many years.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345485807.968618.jpg

I love my G23 in .40 and wouldnt trade it for anything. I've fired .45s, .357s, 9mm and .38s and I can't see moving away from the .40. People bash my .380 more than my .40 after they fire both but I think that's just them not being prepared for such a small gun (LCP) to actually have some ummph behind it.

I love the Performance of the .40 as well, I would never get rid of my G23 and 27, I think its a all around great round and very much a workhorse in most Police Depts, as for me though my work horse is a G30SF... .45ACP... in the .40 with good ammo as with the Federal HST, Ranger T's and GoldDots you get great stopping power and excellet expansion and penetration...

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorri View Post
    That is just...so....wrong.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

I'm not a fan of it because penetration wise, it's similar to a 9mm, and does kick harder. it's not uncomf, but followups are slower. Yes it does have a bigger temp cavity, but it has been found that pistol calibers don't make big enough of a temp cavity to make the diff. so penetration becomes important. a 147gr quality bullet penetrates rough same as the 180. 165gr .40 is very close to a 124gr 9mm

so that being said I would prefer to have a 9mm.

now the heavier weight supposedly does carry better through barriers. which is great for LE.

and lastly, I just bought a MP40... go figure. lol

I shot the MP40 right after I bought it, and I must say recoil wasn't too bad. it kicked, but not horrible... then I shot a mp9pro right after, and it shot so smooth and very little recoil. I was able to do follow ups much quicker. this is great for a moving target.

I will be buying the 40>9mm conversion barrel and probably just shoot whatever I get my hands on. I always thought .40 was more money, and it's such a little difference. (like couple bucks) and .40 is easier to find as well

I just ordered 2 boxes of critical duty for my MP40, and will be doing the same for my MP9c and keltec PF9

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Links