Why Is the .40 S&W So Beat Up On These Days? - Page 11

Why Is the .40 S&W So Beat Up On These Days?

This is a discussion on Why Is the .40 S&W So Beat Up On These Days? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I went to the range with my 9mm and my 40sw. That day was the first that I shot a tighter group than the ...

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: Why Is the .40 S&W So Beat Up On These Days?

Yesterday I went to the range with my 9mm and my 40sw. That day was the first that I shot a tighter group than the 9mm with my 40sw. My 9mm always shot the best groups over my 40sw. I did so well with the 40sw that I wished I'd brought my camera. As it happened I finally found a good handholds that kept the gun more steady. It took me a few trips to do it and I already had my trigger control.

I feel really good about it and I like the 40sw better.

I went to the range today to put some.40 cal and .380 cal. down range.
    I shot my Taurus TCP with some 90 grn Aguilar and it was barking like a mad dog!
    I then used my SR40 and it felt as though it kicked LESS than the tiny .380!
    I found the .40 cal to be totally manageable in spite of not shooting the .40 caliber in over twenty years!
    I still have my 9mm and plan on holding onto it but I'm loving the .40 caliber all over once more!

I have always found the .40 very manageable and accurate. For some reason I consistently shoot my G23 better than my G19. I can't explain it since both are exactly the same except for cal.

Heres the bottom line as far as I'm concerned:

More mass= better
    More velocity=better

Big fast moving bullets will always out perform small fast moving bullets. This is a law of physics given that the speed is constant between the two or nearly so. A BG shot with a big fast moving bullet as opposed to a small fast moving bullet will stop more readily because more damage is being done, bottom line.

On the other hand, it's obvious that shot placement is very important. You are more likely to stop someone by shooting them in the head than shooting them in the big toe. Even here though the big fast bullet still beats the small fast bullet. In short if you were going to be shot in the head & there was no way to avoid it, would you rather get shot with a 9mm or a .40 cal.? In either case chances of survival are slim but they are still better if you got shot with the 9 as opposed to the .40 & even less so if you got shot by a fast moving .45 (185 gr. +p is a good example)

My 2 cents

Im a fan of the .40 I've shot steel with a 9mm and the plates wouldn't fall down, .40 has no problem with them so I switched and didn't look back. I do enjoy the .45 as well but if I had to pick one it would definitely be the .40 for all of the same reasons mentioned by guys in other posts.

I got a G23 because if I'm firing at somebody wearing Kevlar, I want to be able to knock him down or at least way back to give me time to either set up a face shot or run. I think cop shops that go .40 over 9mm (and that's a lot of them) are thinking about the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bmglock23 View Post
    I got a G23 because if I'm firing at somebody wearing Kevlar, I want to be able to knock him down or at least way back to give me time to either set up a face shot or run. I think cop shops that go .40 over 9mm (and that's a lot of them) are thinking about the same thing.
    Seriously? Lol... (don't gauge a bullet for the vest knock down capability, that's not why departments go for .40... they go for it because it's the medium between .45 and 9. And has very good barrier penetration.

I get a g22 for issue. I'm not happy about it. The 9mm does the job, carries more ammo, and allows for faster follow ups.

But I don't get to decide for on duty. My off duty is a mp9c or a five seven.

That being said,I can shoot any given gun with the same reasonable accuracy and efficiency due to my years of experience and training, so it doesn't bother me much. And with the 15+2 mags for the g22,I don't feel under-gunned in capacity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

It doesn't get as beat up as the 9mm or 38 Special.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    It doesn't get as beat up as the 9mm or 38 Special.
    I was thinking the same thing. When I first saw the title of this thread I remember thinking "what does he mean, the .40 getting beat up on?" I have rarely seen or heard the .40 being maligned. People have preferences regarding caliber and they give reasons why they feel the way they do, but I don't see the .40 being "beat up on." Most people, even those who choose a different caliber, at least acknowledge it's effectiveness as a defense round.

Every forum has the 40 bashing thread.

Quote Originally Posted by WillyNilly View Post
    I believe that every forum has has threads that bash every caliber. Everyone has a bias 'cause they wanna believe that what they've chosen is the best.

If you draw your conclusion(s) based on your own research/thinking- the "bash" threads become meaningless.

Erich1B likes this.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Quote Originally Posted by WillyNilly View Post
    Every forum has a 5.7x28 thread too, but there are still believers in it :)

I carry it due to work. My off duty is a 9mm however.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Currently carrying an S&W M&P 40c. In S&W .40cal. Which since they were both created by S&W just seems to make sense to me.

Took my CPL class in MI with my trusty PPK/s .380acp. Which I've had when we moved here, but didn't need to take a class in Indiana.

The .380 left a small mark, almost a bruise in the web of my hand after a days shooting. Then I shot an instructors XD45. And was shocked that it kicked so much less than my .380. And I shot it better too. Then I shot another instructors M&P. Every thing else faded at that point. Now I primarily carry my own S&W M&P. I had been looking for a fullsize .45 even though it had a reduced ammo capacity. Of course after Newton things started to get scarce and I found a M&P40c for a good price. Its a beaut!

I think part of the thing was that I wanted a .45, but wasn't against the .40, and having a couple of .380s, I already had a 9mm of sorts. (.380ACP = 9x17mm) I knew I wanted a little bigger and someday plan on having a .45 anyhow.

Took my time looking at rigs.

Best setup I've ever seen is Nate Squared Tacticals holster. I've worn it all day everyday since it arrived. Well almost all day everyday. Near as makes no difference. Most comfortable IWB I've ever seen. Almost forget its there even with a chunky .40 in it.

2013-04-01 12.29.31.jpg

The holster came from n82tactical.com Best IWB around.
    Last edited by shiyal; April 1st, 2013 at 01:50 PM. Reason: (spelling)

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post

-Cost is relative. There's not much difference in the overall scheme of things, and the handloader easily circumvents the cost factor.
    This is an old thread that has been bumped, but I thought this tidbit was interesting. In today's market, unless you are lucky, 40 S&W is EASIER to find and CHEAPER than 9mm. I just found an academy that had 9mm monarch (blah) for $12.99 per 50 (one box limit) and they had 40 WWB for $17.99 per 50. At the local shops and ranges (and armslist) you will find 9mm going for between $22 and $30 per 50. What a difference 9 months makes huh.

I also would like to point out that the 40 throws a 165gr bullet the same speed as a 9mm throws a 124 gr load (in +P which has substantial recoil as well). Pure physics dictate that it would hit harder. You can argue what you "FEEL" about a given bullet, but you can't argue with Sir Isaac Newton (especially since he's dead).
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

My only issue with them is I already have to many calibers as is. For someone starting out though I would mention that I have seen .40's cheaper than .45's and during all this ammo frenzy .40's are one thing I have still seen some of.
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links