Why Is the .40 S&W So Beat Up On These Days? - Page 4

Why Is the .40 S&W So Beat Up On These Days?

This is a discussion on Why Is the .40 S&W So Beat Up On These Days? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; love it. shoot it just fine through G23 and P229. fast follow-ups. never a problem. I don't see much difference in effectiveness between it and ...

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Why Is the .40 S&W So Beat Up On These Days?

love it. shoot it just fine through G23 and P229. fast follow-ups. never a problem. I don't see much difference in effectiveness between it and the 9 but who cares? I want both. I want all. "don't need it" doesn't make any sense to me. it's as viable a choice of a service/defense caliber as any of the others.

I don't understand why people get worked up about a gun in someone else's holster. I couldn't care less what you carry so long as you don't point it at me.
    miller_man and LouisianaMan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy 2 View Post
    Well first off I have read on the internet that the .40 beats the Browning Hi Power pretty badly and they do not last long. John
    Whoa!, I'm REALLY interested in the details of that comment. I own a pair of BHP Mk III .40 S&W pistols, one is a complete custom (no FN parts left except frame & slide) with what I think is Kevin McIntyre's first KKM .357 Sig conversion. These guns both show uncanny accuracy, stone reliability & have run thousands of rounds with no signs of being "beat up pretty badly". I'm not taking a pirate stand with ya' old guy 2, but where'd you get your info?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I like the 40 in the 10 mm version. If I want to shot with "less" recoil, I just down loaded it:)

Never had any trouble with my 229, and my new 23 runs well so far. Just another cartridge that will do the job.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Bryon, I like the 40. However, I believe the 180 weight bullets are too heavy for the cartridge. I believe it is most efficient with bullets ranging from 155-165.

Unique powder works very well. I get about 950 fps with 6.5 grains under a 155 weight bullet.

The problem with picking up 40 " range brass" is the " Glock bulge" near the bottom of the case, that will not come out with a normal sizing die.

It is neither fish nor foul. I can understand why some have no use for it. But it is a pretty good " tweener".
    Who are you and what have you done with glockman10mm?
    glockman10mm likes this.

This picture shows the diameter of the popular calibers.
    9 mm
    Take a look ( click on it to enlarge ).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341988038.625578.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Whoa!, I'm REALLY interested in the details of that comment. I own a pair of BHP Mk III .40 S&W pistols, one is a complete custom (no FN parts left except frame & slide) with what I think is Kevin McIntyre's first KKM .357 Sig conversion. These guns both show uncanny accuracy, stone reliability & have run thousands of rounds with no signs of being "beat up pretty badly". I'm not taking a pirate stand with ya' old guy 2, but where'd you get your info?
    Like I said in the post I read it on the internet somewhere sometime, don't remember, but my statement has served to bring out your statement to the contrary, maybe we will find the truth of the matter.

I really like my CW40 Kahr, it's just the rite size, just a little better than my CW45 but I won't put up with the probematicle cartridge.

John

Charles, I've seen that first image before and I will refute it with the following. I took each caliber and converted to mm if not already in it. .40 is 10.2mm and .45 is 11.5mm. I took those figures and multiplied by 10, giving us 90, 102 and 115. I then took a round brush in Photoshop and created circles of 90, 102 and 115 pixels diameter. I then lined up the bottoms of the circles. The following image is what you get:

9-40-45.png

As you can see, the difference in calibers is greater than your image shows. I'm not sure how they went about doing the one you posted, but I've told you every step I took in the process.
    OD* and Bad Bob like this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member
    I'm back on a 40 again after 2 previous attempts. I didn't like the previous guns and I didn't like the muzzle flip of the caliber. I like the dynamics of the 40 but it just didn't work. Back to the 45. Now I'm into my 3rd 40 platform and the ergonomics have settled the muzzle flip....or my brain is telling me so. Doesn't matter, I'm happy and that's all I was looking for. I may get back into a 10 again just to grow the family. More fun on the bench.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

This is an excerpt from Ignatio Piazza's response to the question of which caliber should you use for personal self-defense:

The standard response that you should train to have, with a major-caliber handgun (calibers with a “4” in them) such as .45, 44, 10mm (a hot .40 caliber) and .40 S&W, is two quick hits to the thoracic cavity.

That should be the standard response with minor calibers as well (calibers smaller than the “4’s” but larger or hotter than .380) such as 9mm. But be prepared to deliver a shot to the cranio-ocular cavity (between the eyebrows and moustache) to stop the fight if they don’t immediately drop. Our troops in Iraq are reporting that when using the 9mm Berettas, three or four hits to the chest are required to stop attackers.

My opinion, which is not worth much on the stock market, is shoot whatever the hell ya want and are comfortable with....it is all about being comfortable and hitting what your shooting at...i do not want to be shot with a 22, 9mm 40 , 45 or anything under or over those ..... i feel very confident shooting the 40, and can double tap very nicely with it...if that does not get your attention, you get two double taps......
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    it is 40 for me. to me the 40 is the best of 9 and 45.
    Could not have said it better.

A Beretta 96 was the first handgun I shot. Now my EDC is a Springfield XD40.

What I think is interesting is how people decide on their cartridge of choice. A lot of folks consider 9mm to be the "minimum" that should be used for EDC. I bet if there was a slightly smaller cartridge (than 9mm) and the general consensus was that it was acceptable for self defense, than that is was a lot of people would carry. Larger calibers are harder to shoot quickly and accurately. As a general rule people don't like to do what's hard. Personally, when it comes to my life and the lives of those I care about, I don't want to be using the "minimum".
    oldrwizr likes this.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorri View Post
    This picture shows the diameter of the popular calibers.
    9 mm
    Take a look ( click on it to enlarge ).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341988038.625578.jpg

I love the penetration picture; it only proves manufactures have engineered ammo that penetrates the same. By varying weight, speed, and projectile type they have made them all the same.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I don't care about what they say regarding the .40. As long as they continue to manufacture it and doesn't get way too expensive to shoot, I am going to continue to stick with it. Since I have an H&K USP in that caliber, recoil feels like a 9mm as a result of its recoil reduction system. So recoil is never an issue with me.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Links