Why Is the .40 S&W So Beat Up On These Days?

This is a discussion on Why Is the .40 S&W So Beat Up On These Days? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by frankmako it is 40 for me. been that way for 14 years. went from the 45 acp to 9mm to 40 and ...

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Why Is the .40 S&W So Beat Up On These Days?

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    it is 40 for me. been that way for 14 years. went from the 45 acp to 9mm to 40 and never looked back. yes i still own and shoot the 45 and 9, but i carry the 40. back in the 70's it was the 45 acp and wheel guns. in the 80's it was the same with the 9mm coming into it own as a range gun for me. then in the mid 90's i was issued a 40 and i never looked back. to me the 40 is the best of 9 and 45.
    Thats the way I see it, a larger diameter heaver than a 9 mm bullet that goes faster than a 45. Whats not to like?

2. Remove Ads

Just my .02 I happen to like 40 it has its downsides several mention recoil however its got many advantages. One it has on 9 is 9mm if it doesnt expand is only .355 to reach this .40 must shrink ive yet to see any round that stayed together do that. So I beleave there is a advantage on 9. In 45 you get a shallower grip which in double stack adds to control therefore accuracy. It also has greater capacity and in a perfect world one shots always enough but in our world wolves travel in packs.. In single stack I find I have other rounds I choose bit in double its hard to beat.

The only good I see to a .40 is it was the base of the 10mil :)
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Maybe yours is " special". Have you measured the base compared to virgin brass?
    And of course it feeds and cycles well in your gun, it's the same chamber that originally fired it.
    I fire two different 40s with this brass, they are both Glocks, but I have also reloaded 45 brass from a 21 and fired it out of my XD.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    I fire two different 40s with this brass, they are both Glocks, but I have also reloaded 45 brass from a 21 and fired it out of my XD.
    I have heard that the 40 Glock brass is the only one that suffers from the bulge. None of the others do, although I can't verify this, because I only load the 40 for my Glock service pistol using brass from our range qualifications.

Resize it first, then after you reload it, run your finger down from the mouth to the base. All of my 40 brass from the Glock does this. There is plenty of info out there to verify this.
    Either yours does too and you just don't know it, or, Glock has made the chamber tolerances tighter in your particular barrel.

As a matter of fact, it's such a well known issue, Redding Dies make a resizing die specifically designed to remove it.
    Google it, the infos there.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Food for thought.... Click on the image to view....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342903854.146473.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorri View Post
    Food for thought.... Click on the image to view....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342903854.146473.jpg
    The only "food for thought" here is that you can't believe everything you see on the Internet. The drawing is NOT to scale, therefore it is deliberately misleading.

Regards,
    Jim

another "caliber war" thread. seriously. where's a photo of a cat when you need one.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    another "caliber war" thread. seriously. where's a photo of a cat when you need one.
    What are you trying to say? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    What are you trying to say? LOL

usually the appearance of a cat in a thread signifies it has reached a ridiculous and/or highly redundant level.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    How many pistol calibers do we need?
    We should immediately appoint a Commissar to decide for us. We certainly couldn't rely on the free market and Adam Smith's "Invisible Hand". Oh, no, certainly not.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    carry a G23 everyday loe it,,, also the fact fact it can shoot 9mm with barrel change to save money...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Why Is the .40 S&W So Beat Up On These Days?

Jealousy.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I have heard that the 40 Glock brass is the only one that suffers from the bulge. None of the others do, although I can't verify this, because I only load the 40 for my Glock service pistol using brass from our range qualifications.

Resize it first, then after you reload it, run your finger down from the mouth to the base. All of my 40 brass from the Glock does this. There is plenty of info out there to verify this.
    Either yours does too and you just don't know it, or, Glock has made the chamber tolerances tighter in your particular barrel.

As a matter of fact, it's such a well known issue, Redding Dies make a resizing die specifically designed to remove it.
    Google it, the infos there.
    Well, I do measure the cases and not one has any bulge to speak of after it gets reloaded. I am using a Dillon resizing die and a Dillon case gauge. Maybe the Dillon dies compensate for this. Admittedly, I am new to the Glocks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    The only good I see to a .40 is it was the base of the 10mil :)
    Please don't take this wrong, I'm not trying to sound like a smart aleck here, but I believe the 10mm was first developed, then the .40 was developed later when it was found that the ballistics of the downloaded FBI 10mm load could be had in beefed-up 9mm pistols by shortening the 10's case length and raising the pressure a bit.

My .02: I don't think that the .40 is being beat up, unless being "beat up" equals the .40 not being embraced by the rest of the world as it has been with law enforcement in the U.S. and Canada.

What it seems like has happened to the .40 is that the "honeymoon is over". Back in the 1990s, it was the "hot gun you just had to have", and the "new wonder caliber" and law enforcement couldn't get them fast enough. Now that the caliber has been around for over twenty years (yes, it has been that long), I suppose there's a pretty large base of information about how the round performs in the real world. Therefore, I think people have more realistic notions about what it can and cannot do, and they choose or reject it accordingly.

I would say that the .40 S&W is pretty firmly entrenched as the dominant law enforcement cartridge in the United States. I don't see the other popular LE cartridges changing that anytime soon. (and I'm not a fanboy, the round has strenghts and limitations aplenty). As far as the .40 being most popular with armed citizens, I have no idea, but I would imagine that the 9 is gaining ground with them simply due to compact pistols and cheaper ammo.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Links