For the .40 crew: What's your favorite grain/weight?

This is a discussion on For the .40 crew: What's your favorite grain/weight? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Believe it or not, but I have shot nothing but 180 grain bullets through my two .40 S&W Pistols....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: For the .40 crew: What's your favorite grain/weight?

Believe it or not, but I have shot nothing but 180 grain bullets through my two .40 S&W Pistols.

2. Remove Ads

180 here also!!. Just seems more comfortable all the way around in my SR40C.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexKaos View Post
    Do you have any info on the street performance of the 155 HST?

I also have 155 HST and carried it until yesterday when my 180's came in.
    I don't have info on hard numbers. I have not heard anything about any failures - our union would be on it like Oprah on a buffet. The recovered bullets are usually 3/4 of an inch in diameter. The BP had good success with this load, but recently switched to a slower 180 to lessen the beating on guns (mine only had 15,000 thru it and ran fine) and to make it easier on the PC hires.

I know of a shooting where a knife wielding attacker took 3 shots, one severing his spine and dropping him, he still had fight in him.

My SR40 holds 180gr bonded golden sabers when I'm out and about and when I'm at the range I shoot my 175/180 gr cast bullets. I don't think I've ever shot anything other than 180 grain factory rounds. I always prefer the heavier rounds vs lighter ones.

I don't think group size would be a factor at 25 feet. As long as they hit straight with no keyholes its good to go. I use either 155 Gold Dots or 165 Gold Saber depending on what we have on the shelf, and I have been known to use 135gr screaming fast JHP from Triton or Cor Bon when I carried a Kahr MK40.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

180 grain winchester jhp.havent got ahold of the federal hst yet. cant seem to find it in my area.

Both my range (FMJs) and SD (BJHPs) are 165s.

yep im right there.i like throwing a heavier bullet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    I don't think I've ever shot anything other than 180 grain factory rounds. I always prefer the heavier rounds vs lighter ones.

My High Power likes Speer Gold Dots in 165's. So do I.
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

Quote Originally Posted by CicadaX View Post
    Unlike gelatin it's difficult to measure accurately. Most were recovered near the opposite ribcage. On a couple I tested on deer there were complete pass throughs. I have also shot through a couple layers of denim with no significant difference in results.
    I assume hog skin would be tougher than human skin in certain areas of their body, but if they penetrated to the opposite ribcage of a hog. That should be over 12" since they are hogs and the expansion sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by brazildsm View Post
    180 grain winchester jhp.havent got ahold of the federal hst yet. cant seem to find it in my area.
    sgmmo.com has over 150 boxes in stock of 180gr HST and I ordered a box from them that came yesterday. Can't go wrong with the HST in any weight but the preferred bullets according to studies are the 165 and 180. I wouldn't feel undergunned slinging 155's.

All my mags are now loaded with 180gr HST or Golden Saber.

I shoot 165gr Gold Dot.

Normally one picks the heavies bullet in a caliber because the heavier bullet retains more energy. The problem in the .40S&W is that the 180 starts with less energy at the muzzle than the 165gr has at 100 meters. The 180gr .40 was a shortened case version of the "FBI Light" 10mm load. I studied the energy numbers for a while before I selected the 165, though I had already decided on Gold Dot at that point.

I practice with whatever Federal or Speer FMJ is cheapest at the time <shrug>
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

KoB
    I guess I'm a rarity....for I use all flavors of .40 in my HK P2000sk. I have from 135gr Corbons JHPs, 140 gr DPX to Federal HST (135, 155, 165, and 180 grains). I think the recoil system on this pistol is fabulous! The only round that feels stout is the Corbon 135 JHP, you can feel the kick with that round, but what do you expect with a round that's been compared to a .357 mag???

I currently have loaded the 135gr Corbon JHP and the DPX in the reload. Before that, it was the HST 165gr loaded. Just like the extra umph from the 135gr Corbon's. To be honest, any well known .40 hollowpoint should do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by KoB View Post
    I guess I'm a rarity....for I use all flavors of .40 in my HK P2000sk. I have from 135gr Corbons JHPs, 140 gr DPX to Federal HST (135, 155, 165, and 180 grains). I think the recoil system on this pistol is fabulous! The only round that feels stout is the Corbin 135 JHP, you can feel the kick with that round, but what do you expect with a round that's been compared to a .357 mag???

I currently have loaded the 135gr Corbin JHP and the DPX in the reload. Before that, it was the HST 165gr loaded. Just like the extra umph from the 135gr Corbon's. To be honest, any well known .40 hollowpoint should do the job.
    That's the crux of the whole argument, isn't it? We can argue all day long about our "favorite" load and bullet, but it really comes down to if you carry a .40, you're in pretty good shape.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    My defensive rounds are 165s, but for range work the 180s seem to be less snappy, as others have noticed.
    I'm on the same boat.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links