For the .40 crew: What's your favorite grain/weight?

This is a discussion on For the .40 crew: What's your favorite grain/weight? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About two weeks ago after conducting testing(12/25ft) at the range to see which weight I would carry out of the big three 155/165/180 grains. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: For the .40 crew: What's your favorite grain/weight?

About two weeks ago after conducting testing(12/25ft) at the range to see which weight I would carry out of the big three 155/165/180 grains. I decided on the 180gr as my go to carry weight with the 155gr backing it up.

My best group at 12ft came with the 155gr but I did best overall with the 180gr. I noticed the 180 had more of a push than a snap which i liked. The 165 just snapped too much for my liking and effectively eliminated itself from contention.

As a result of my testing I purchased a box of 180gr Federal HST (P40HST1) and a box of Bonded Golden Sabers. I have several hundred rounds of 155gr so I'm covered.

What's your carry grain?

I keep the 155 gr Speer Gold Dots in mine. I like to practice with 165 gr FMJ.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    I keep the 155 gr Speer Gold Dots in mine. I like to practice with 165 gr FMJ.
    Why the 165?

VIP Member
    When I carried a .40, my ammo of choice was 165 gr Federal HST.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

180 gr. Better follow up shots.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    ComplexKaos likes this.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

My defensive rounds are 165s, but for range work the 180s seem to be less snappy, as others have noticed.

Then there's my Tuesday Night Steel shooting companion, who loads lead 180s for gaming but they sound like a cap gun going off!
    Ram Rod likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I haven't tested everything available, but have fired numerous assorted rounds (all HP's) into deer and hog cadavers as well as water jugs at ranges of 10 to 20 feet. Overall I was most pleased with the results of the 180 gr. The most uniform expansion was from the Federal HST's and Golden Sabers. All tests were performed using a G27. I'm sure there are many other great choices out there but I can carry either one of these with confidence. The Federal HST is my current carry ammo due to it's lower cost.

165gr Fed HST/Gold Dots/Ranger T's. I don't think it's too important though. If you happen to get quicker follow up shots with 180's then i'd stay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by CicadaX View Post
    I haven't tested everything available, but have fired numerous assorted rounds (all HP's) into deer and hog cadavers as well as water jugs at ranges of 10 to 20 feet. Overall I was most pleased with the results of the 180 gr. The most uniform expansion was from the Federal HST's and Golden Sabers. All tests were performed using a G27. I'm sure there are many other great choices out there but I can carry either one of these with confidence. The Federal HST is my current carry ammo due to it's lower cost.
    Federal has a winner in the HST round it has performed well in every test that I have heard of and seen. I'm surprised that the Golden Saber did well in the testing because it hasn't been the best round in the testing I've seen.

I have a mag loaded with 180 HST and another with Golden Saber.

How deep did the HST and Sabers penetrate into the hogs?

Winchester 165 gr. for the range and 180 gr. Golden Saber loaded up for carry.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

1^ on this,but if you will control your recoil,and not let it control you,you can chunk the 180 grain slow movers.
    Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    165gr Fed HST/Gold Dots/Ranger T's. I don't think it's too important though. If you happen to get quicker follow up shots with 180's then i'd stay with that.
    Regoria75 likes this.

I carry 155 HST's, why you ask. Very simple, it is what I was issued, and it is about 100 fps faster than the commercial loading. The 180 grn HST's are working well on the street, I am just a fan of more velocity. If you do your part either will work just fine.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    180's without a doubt. More mass, less perceived recoil, easier follow-up.
    Regoria75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    I carry 155 HST's, why you ask. Very simple, it is what I was issued, and it is about 100 fps faster than the commercial loading. The 180 grn HST's are working well on the street, I am just a fan of more velocity. If you do your part either will work just fine.
    Do you have any info on the street performance of the 155 HST?

I also have 155 HST and carried it until yesterday when my 180's came in.

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexKaos View Post
    Federal has a winner in the HST round it has performed well in every test that I have heard of and seen. I'm surprised that the Golden Saber did well in the testing because it hasn't been the best round in the testing I've seen.

I have a mag loaded with 180 HST and another with Golden Saber.

How deep did the HST and Sabers penetrate into the hogs?
    Unlike gelatin it's difficult to measure accurately. Most were recovered near the opposite ribcage. On a couple I tested on deer there were complete pass throughs. I have also shot through a couple layers of denim with no significant difference in results.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links