Winchester Silver Tip Hollow Point for self defense

This is a discussion on Winchester Silver Tip Hollow Point for self defense within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I wanted to get some feed back on the winchester sthp ammo. I was considering using this as carry ammo for my glock ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Winchester Silver Tip Hollow Point for self defense

Winchester Silver Tip Hollow Point for self defense

Hi all,
    I wanted to get some feed back on the winchester sthp ammo.
    I was considering using this as carry ammo for my glock 27 40 s&w,I'm sure there's better ammo out
    there but how would you rate this round, good / bad? looks like a claim of 500ft lbs at the muzzle with 1205fps. I do not see any mention of the barrel length that these specs came from.
    Now with the above being said would you consider the federal hyrda-shock a better round out of the two choices?
    Any insight/ thoughts
    Thanks
    G

2. Remove Ads

It would serve the purpose,but there is better choices,I would run either the 165 GoldDot or 165 Ranger T's,both are bonded.

I personally see absolutely no evidence that any other loading is better than the STHP. It does what it does in flesh very well. I'd pick it without hesitation.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Check this article and then decide: Best Choice for Self Defense Ammo
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Check this article and then decide: Best Choice for Self Defense Ammo
    I see this link posted all the time. I have no problem with it as it has served as a starting point for me in choosing my defense ammo. But my question is, did they test every defense ammo available? Maybe I missed it in the article. I have a habit of quickly skimming

The Silvertip is an older design. At one time (pre-Black Talon), it was Winchester's "flagship" defense/law enforcement bullet. Both the FBI and quite a few police departments used it in the 1980s. Then the Miami shootout occurred and a 9mm 115 gr. Silvertip (designed for quick expansion, not deep penetration) did not reach the heart of a violent suspect, and law enforcement lost confidence in Silvertips, the FBI went to the 10mm and later the .40 S&W as an answer, and the Silvertip became a budget USA-brand load.
    It was because that Silvertip "failed" (and because the felon shot with it continued to fight on after being hit) that the FBI came up with the 12 inches of penetration minimum as a performance standard.
    So is the Silvertip a bad bullet for you? Here's my .02.
    To me, it's more important to have ammunition in a defense pistol that the wearer is familiar with and can hit with should the emergency arise. Being able to hit with a load requires familiarity with a load, and familiarity with a load demands practice. IMO, it is useless to carry a load you can't afford to practice with, and gunfighting with unfamiliar ammunition has gotten good people killed. "Bonded super-power +P Felon Stopper" high-tech bullets do no good if they fly past the person trying to kill you.
    The late Stephen Camp, a former law officer and defensive pistol authority, once said he wouldn't hesitate to carry Silvertips in his Browning High-Power 9mms. He stated that he'd tested them on game and liked the expansion, performance, and velocity.
    Buy a box. See if you and your .40 like 'em. If you like them and can hit with them, stock up, stick 'em in the gun, and don't look back.

I still have some 45 ACP Silvertips left but I have switched to Winchester Bonded Supreme Elite (PDX1) for my carry gun.

I've been told that a Silver Tipped Bullet will kill Vampires. :>)

We carried 357 magnum Silvertips on duty back in the early 80's before everybody started ditching revolvers for semi-auto pistols,I carry a 1911 loaded with either ranger T bonded,or right now it's loaded with 230 grain Gold Dots,9mm have 124+p gold dots,I like my bullets to remain intact even after shooting through a barrier
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

sgb
    The silvertip is old tech, there are MUCH better choices available.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Good timing on this thread. I had been asking myself the same question about Silvertips after seeing awesome performance in gelatin on another website.

I did a google search and there are reports on the internet of the Silvertip plugging and not expanding when fired through clothing. It's also not a bonded round. In one of the gelatin tests, there was a picture of jacket separation, and all of the rounds fired through clothed gelatin plugged with denim and passed clear through without expanding.

.40 S&W Winchester 155gr Silvertip JHP (Glock 27) This reason for it plugging and not expanding could be because of velocity loss; it was fired from a Glock 27.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    I see this link posted all the time. I have no problem with it as it has served as a starting point for me in choosing my defense ammo. But my question is, did they test every defense ammo available? Maybe I missed it in the article. I have a habit of quickly skimming
    It is one of those articles that should be read, not skimmed. Trust everyone that has recommend it.

I think they tested current technology, anything old with a track record was probably not retested. A lot of rounds work great in gelatin/water/flesh, but when you added clothes, they plugged up and sometimes failed to expand(I think that is why +P was used so much). Those old rounds are better then a FMJ, but better ammo is available.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I need all the help I can get to survive a lethal encounter, and since reading that article, and other information posted by Dr. Roberts, I re-post the link anytime the question of "best ammo" comes up. Shot placement is paramount of course, but reliable ammo is useful; ammo that only expands 75% of the time? I'll avoid it if I can.
    --Jason--

I carried them in a 32 acp, but i'd go with whatever you shoot well!

i carried 9mm silver tip ammo in the 80 and early 90 on the job. to me it was good ammo and did the job. it never let me down. i still have some in a house gun today. i got a kel tec pf9 range gun and it loves the 115 gr silver tip ammo over any other hp type of bullet.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

[QUOTE=Blades;2321500]It is one of those articles that should be read, not skimmed. Trust everyone that has recommend it. /QUOTE]

Sorry, but that is just too funny..... Sounds like I am from the government and I am here to help you.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by VNvet View Post
    I still have some 45 ACP Silvertips left but I have switched to Winchester Bonded Supreme Elite (PDX1) for my carry gun.

I've been told that a Silver Tipped Bullet will kill Vampires. :>)
    That's werewolves, not vampires. You need wooden bullets dipped in Holy Water for vampires.
    carracer and pilot101 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links