The "Old-School/New School" Debate of Bullet Performance.

This is a discussion on The "Old-School/New School" Debate of Bullet Performance. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fisher10, I hear ya. I suppose what I was saying about Hickock was not to imply that people carry the same thing he did, but ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: The "Old-School/New School" Debate of Bullet Performance.

Fisher10, I hear ya. I suppose what I was saying about Hickock was not to imply that people carry the same thing he did, but that it worked real well. I don't know how quickly they all died, or if even half was due to infection, but it's for certain he stopped the threat, cause they apparently weren't able to get him.

And I agree, that it's not necessary to shoot 1000 rounds to get used to the feel, but I was thinking more of poa/poi solutions and incredibly cheap practice.

Lots of good choices out there, no matter what one likes.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher10 View Post
    I better understand your reason for carrying what you do as it is nice to have the same load universally and at a cheap cost, though it seems strange to have an inexpensive target round be what you trust your life to, not that your rounds are less reliable or of lower quality.
    You are confusing the Wadcutter "WC" with the Lead Semi Wadcutter "LSWC" also called the "Keith wadcutter" after its designer and father of the 44 magnum Elmer Keith. The Keith wadcutter works well because the meplate cuts and pushes and then the full caliber driving bad cuts a full caliber driving band cuts the hole bigger yet. The wadcutter is a target round, usually made of soft swaged lead. the semi wadcutter is a hunting bullet, designed for harvesting game animals. the only full wadcutter I would consider using in a self defense role would be something like the Buffalo Bore hardcast wadcutter.

If you look at the older lawmen like " Jelly Bean" Bryce, Hamer, and even Cirrilo, and Jordan, they were very successful with the older style bullets of the day. I think Cirrilo was not particularly happy with the LRN 38 spl, but he made it work.
    LouisianaMan likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Good morning my friend Fisher. Coffee in the patio? Don't ever short a .36 Cap and ball load in the Round ball loading, it worked well, simply because of the shape, it approached the semi wadcutter factor, and it's over 1000 fps was quite efficient. Remember, if it hadn't worked, the LEO and gunfighters of that day could easily have gone up to the 40's or even the Colt Walker. The Walker approached the 45 70 of that period in power, and is still hard to beat even today, but definitely not a quick draw revolver.

Despite the romance of the quick draw in those days, they couldn't compete with the ones of today because of different holsters etc., so they resorted to trick rigs etc., but what they did have in abundance, was the kill attitude.

Don't forget pudgy lil Ed McGiveren, drawing and firing 5 shots from a (S&W natch) .38 with all hits inside of a playing card in under 1 second. Now that IS fast and accurate.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Great thread! I love it, having only started shooting handguns the past few years. So much to learn! Thanks!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links